Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Transmission help

After about 250 miles of driving the car I have now found some slop in the 2nd to 3rd shift. Seems a little longer then expected, and if shifting at all in the 3K+ RPM's the car lets out a slight crunch/wur.

I am by no means trying to throw it into gear, and have found if I press in the clutch, get off the gas, and let the car "coast" for a second I can get it into gear no problem...most likely everything has slowed down inside the box.

Am I right to assume that this is a bushing issue? (I know it is hard to diagnose over the web...) How do I go about looking at and replacing the bushings, etc. in the box? What does everyone recommend for bushings and so on?

Thanks for your help.

Past: 1988 Venetian Blue 911 Targa, 1983 Black 930, 1984 Black 911 Coupe
Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Great. Is this something that I can replace, or do I need to take it to a shop? Does the transmission need to come out? Are there aftermarket parts that I can put in place of factory?

Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Whoaaa. Before you go yanking the engine and tranny you should at least LOOK at the bushings. It could very well be a simple repair. It might also need adjustment. Don't just jump off the deep end without seeing if there is any water in the pool.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey

Last edited by equality72521; 02-26-2009 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Agreed. I am not looking to drop anything at all if needed. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Let's see, Garrison, you've just recently taken possession of your beauty, and after puting on a few miles you find this shifting problem? Definitely listen to us-two Mark's and don't panic yet. It is an easy and relatively painless job to rebuild the shift linkage and/or coupler if that's the culprit, and also very simple to check and adjust the linkage for proper throw/alignment. And don't forget to make sure your clutch is properly adjusted. If the disc is dragging - and not completely releasing with the pedal all the way down - then of course it could result in difficult shifting. Go after the obvious first. All the information you would ever need is in this forum, if you don't have access to a shop manual...and even those are readily available as pdf documents on line.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Good advice so far to check everything concerning bushing condition and clutch adjustment. How is it going into first gear at a light or from a standstill and reverse. If the clutch is out of adjustment then these would be highly prevalent with difficulty getting into these gears because any clutch dragging shows up badly in these 2 gears.
Replacing the bushings is fairly easy and would be something to do anyway to make it like new again anyway. You might want to look into a short shift kit during this time too.
--fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
So going into first at stop lights isn't bad, but there are times that I need to let the clutch out, and put it back in and I can find first. Not that I didn't have first in the beginning, just didn't feel right.

The more I think about it, the more that the clutch dragging makes sense. When I push the clutch in for 2nd to 3rd and wait for that sec of two it goes in with no issues. When I push the clutch in and shift that is when it has issues. Alright... guess that is where I will begin.

Of course, looking at replacing the bushings still might be warranted.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

You're on the right track but I would just go ahead an replace the bushings. I would bet my dog that they are worn. They are cheap and easy to replace. The original bushings in my 1979 were oval.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 02-27-2009, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Here is the kit for the shifter and shift coupler.
PEL-BUSHKIT1N
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M/POR_911M_Tshift_pg1.htm#item0

--clutch-monkey
Old 02-27-2009, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Clutch adjustment is done underneath the car. You need to get the procedure from the spec manual or maybe find it searching these posts.
Make sure you have pedal free play and nothing limiting its travel inside the car too. Inspect the attachment points to the levers at the pedal end in the tunnel and at the tranny release arm because sometimes the clevis pin gets worn and causes binding.
If it is really bad going into reverse then likely it is clutch related because this gear is not synchronized making it difficult to get engaged even on a good car.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-27-2009, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys! I will order the bushing kit, and look at adjusting the clutch. I will report back and let you know...
Old 02-27-2009, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

One more thing to look at: Pull the inspection cover off (on the tunnel behind the front seats) and look at where the shift coupler attaches to the transmission shifting shaft. It's on a splined hub and is secured with an allen-headed screw. If that screw is loose, it will add slop. I had that problem at one time when I could not get into reverse. Cinched her down and the problem went away. And while in there, you can go through the shifting alignment procedure which is pretty basic (loosen the coupler at the squeeze bolt point and follow the procedure that should be found in the manual).

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: