Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ironically there was just a 1988 930 on ebay with 20K miles and a buy it now price of 32,000 grand. I thought that was the car you meant, but you are looking at a 1986.

So there are two 930s with low miles and a 30 grand price.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

At $60K I expect a perfect 89 with the G /50 5 speed with very low miles and in mint A+ condition. These are beautiful cars no doubt about that I however would be tortured to just look at it sitting in my garage. I don't like rock chips in the paint or any of the other wear & tear things like anyone else. I do love driving it, the street is good but the car and I am in heaven on the track. I know the risk's but it's just to much fun. I feel sorry for the guys with garage's full of cars that don't get driven I have the same feeling about old airplanes too. The worse thing you can do for something mechanical is to not operate it.

I think you could get a good stock or well modded 930 85-88 for $25- $39K
89 $35-45K

If you are a concourse type of collector $60K maybe the number.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 03-01-2009, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

I'm beginning to figure out that I am pretty fussy and am willing to wait for a great 89 930 coupe. I've been placing WTB ads where I can (here, Panorama, Rennlist) and have had some response. I really thought this car might be it...no luck. In the end, I guess I'm almost looking to buy the new car I couldn't afford in 1989, drive it in a reasonable manner (no track, no street racing), enjoy it for the rest of my days (I'm 43) and pass it to my son if he wants it (and when he's 40+). Maybe I'm delusional but that's what I'd like.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavulon View Post
Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

I'm beginning to figure out that I am pretty fussy and am willing to wait for a great 89 930 coupe. I've been placing WTB ads where I can (here, Panorama, Rennlist) and have had some response. I really thought this car might be it...no luck. In the end, I guess I'm almost looking to buy the new car I couldn't afford in 1989, drive it in a reasonable manner (no track, no street racing), enjoy it for the rest of my days (I'm 43) and pass it to my son if he wants it (and when he's 40+). Maybe I'm delusional but that's what I'd like.
You will absolutely find your car in the next year or two because there are going to be lots of deals.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

FWIW,

The rocker panels on all 930 turbos came from the factory with a thicker bubly texture. It also has it on the lower front valance (where the fog lights are and on the two rear valances behind the rear wheels). This was to prevent stone chips in these areas which are prone to it.

The stamps in the maitenance book should not be a problem if it has the complete service history records from new. It would have depended on how often the original owner did the maintenance on the car. After a certain period of time, some service departments didnt bother stamping the maintenance book, but the car should have all the records from new.

Sloane
1979 930
1989 factory slant cab
2005 CGT
Old 03-01-2009, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
1988 930 on ebay with 20K miles
I would have a very difficult time purchasing this old of a car through E-bay...people will lie to you when you're 20 minutes away, imagine what they'll tell you about when they won't even have to see you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavulon View Post
I'm beginning to figure out that I am pretty fussy and am willing to wait for a great 89 930 coupe. I guess I'm almost looking to buy the new car I couldn't afford in 1989,
I felt the same way after having done two ppi's (over $600 bye bye) and started to think that perhaps this was a message from above/below that I should move on. Since I was dealing with sellers all over the country, I would check in with their mechanics as well as respected shops in the area just in case I needed to do a PPI and started asking if they had any info on any cars that may be for sale...VOILA, that my friend, was my ticket!
Old 03-01-2009, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

IMHO. It ultimately depends on the car. $60K is possible and better be a great car, and they are out there. Yeah, $30K ~ $40K few, $20K ~ $30 several... you get what you pay for.

Real 930's are up to 79 (big difference between 911 turbos and 930s) and those are the ones that hold the more/better value. I know this issue generates lots of controversy but it is a fact of life!

There is no substitute for a good Pcar!!!!!!!!!!!! Regagrdless of price.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

$60K, run...if you go over this car in more detail I bet there are additional hidden issues. Has the suspension been checked, worn shocks or bushings? Engine rebuild at 30K still needs a compression and leakdown test.
Peugeot moped
Old 03-01-2009, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
The one huge lesson I learned on my last car is to 1) NEVER buy a car that I constantly worry about putting miles on,, and 2) to NEVER buy a car that I absolutely worry about modifying. I love horsepower and tweaking. So, I will refuse to own another car that I can't do all of those things too,, and more ~ !! Period.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinhere View Post
I've been eyeing an 86 with 20K miles, stock and showroom condition, we've settled at 30k...I think that it is a very good price...any opinions?
George,
I would be all over that baby, put down your cash and take her home,
Old 03-02-2009, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
IMHO. It ultimately depends on the car. $60K is possible and better be a great car, and they are out there. Yeah, $30K ~ $40K few, $20K ~ $30 several... you get what you pay for.

Real 930's are up to 79 (big difference between 911 turbos and 930s) and those are the ones that hold the more/better value. I know this issue generates lots of controversy but it is a fact of life!

There is no substitute for a good Pcar!!!!!!!!!!!! Regagrdless of price.
Okay this is intriguing...please explain the part about real 930s being up until 1979? Do you mean 1989? What is the difference between a 1979 and a 1986, for instance that would make a difference?

I have not heard this before.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: