Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Mallory HyFire VI on a 930????

Hi to all.

Not been online for a while. Been working hard to try and pay for this silly little German car. The brain says don't do it but my heart takes control every time. Am I the only person this happens too? I LOVE IT !!

I'm almost there with my baby, but looking into ignition boxes, I've found that a Bosch unit costs about as much as a small Caribean island. So, not being a mega rich Bond villain I've got myself a Mallory HyFire VI ignition control unit, with the digital display on the top.
Has anyone got any experience with these on a Porsche 930 and can anyone give me any tips or suggestions on fitting it?
Have I made a bad decision?

Thank you.

Robert.
(Gold plated Finger)
Old 03-01-2009, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
No experience with the unit but the specs look good. Don't know if Mallory makes a boost retard module for the unit but if it does, plan any new wiring you may need to install the unit to support the module should you decide to run greater initial advance to wake up low end/off boost power at some point.
Resistor in the rotor should be dug out, replaced with solid 12-awg wire soldered in place. Re-epoxy so the wire can't spin out. Power levels of Mallory and MSD units often eat the stock resistor in the rotor.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for that info Chris.

I've read a few things about the power overwhelming resistors in other cars but I can't find anything specific to 911's or 930's. Although it's beginning to sound like you couldn't light a match with the Bosch box power wise.

I wasn't planning on altering the advance.
I was hoping to pick up a little performance off boost with the C2 cams.

Thanks again.

Robert.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: