Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ten Dealiest Cars and 930 made it!

Hey, the 930s made it as the number 8 in the ten deadliest cars design.

http://ca.askmen.com/top_10/cars/top-10-deadliest-car-designs_8.html

Old 03-02-2009, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Well that's just great! I have two on the list and I don't own a 911 turbo. #4 and #1
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Cool, I've looped #1, 5, 6, and 8 at speed.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

What?! Where's the mid-80s vintage Audi 5000? "Unintended acceleration" per a 60 Minutes spot around that time.

Scott
Old 03-02-2009, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I learned my lesson at Summit Point one year on the Jefferson course...Hit the A-pex too early and was running out of track and tried to add some juice to get me some traction..while shaking the steering wheel hoping for some grip....I was going fast enough for the turbo to kick in....OUCH...sent me into a tail spin and into the woods... Luckily..no one was hurt and the car came out with a very small twig stuck to my bumper...Now I know why they call it the widow maker...

Learned my lesson. They are so much fun and fast when you hit the line and a beast if you are not...

I just updated my Signature..

I have a 1979 930

Last edited by vascott01; 03-02-2009 at 02:13 PM..
Old 03-02-2009, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
If you've never spun your 930 you've never really driven it !!,, I lost my virginity at Mt Treblant
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 03-02-2009, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I couldn't agree more with their discription of the Vette. And yes, our cars were not intended for the driving impaired.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-02-2009, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My wife cringes every time I tell her I am taking the "Widow Maker" on a run
Don't worry dear, I never lift while cornering!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl8ton View Post
My wife cringes every time I tell her I am taking the "Widow Maker" on a run
Don't worry dear, I never lift while cornering!
My father is the same way (my girl doesn't understand the severity of these cars handling idiosyncrasies, just knows that it attracts female attention ) I got my first 930 from a friend when I was 20 years old and my father cringed at the idea (him knowing first hand how dangerous they were... as many of his porsche friends crashed theirs)
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
yep, im slow in the head

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to carslutt
wow, iv owned 1/2 the cars on that list!......
Old 03-02-2009, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by carslutt View Post
wow, iv owned 1/2 the cars on that list!......
Me too...lol.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
If you've never spun your 930 you've never really driven it !!,, I lost my virginity at Mt Treblant
So True !!

The engine is always trying to get out front. I think it's very important to see what happens when the back swaps ends, It should be done in a controlled environment. The car does not give you a lot of warning, when it happens it happens pretty quick. If you own one you should be aware of the tendency for this to happen 911's are bad 930's are very bad. Lots of these have been backed in to road side objects at high speeds the early cars were the most dangerous.

If you have not spun your 930 I would recommending trying it on the track so you and the car stay safe.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT930 View Post
So True !!

If you have not spun your 930 I would recommending trying it on the track so you and the car stay safe.
Like this...This is what happens when you try to correct yourself when the turbo kicks in...BTW nothing happened to my instructor or the car...I did learn a valuable lesson.....

1979 930 - Black on Black and in the woods

"My third child that will cost more in the long run" :shock:
Old 03-04-2009, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vascott01 View Post
Like this...This is what happens when you try to correct yourself when the turbo kicks in...BTW nothing happened to my instructor or the car...I did learn a valuable lesson.....
"The Lurking 930"...I love it. But Scott, that appears to be a straight stretch of road. How does one manage to spin out on the straight and narrow?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

First try at tracking my car at a HPDC (High Performance Driving Clinic) and the tail end of a long day of instruction and track time...Deep appreciation for race car drivers!!..and when you feel tired listen to yourself...Adrenaline/exhaustion can be evil.

coming into turn 7 on the Jefferson Course at Summit point...Hit the A-pex too early and was running out of pavement..tried to keep it on the road...Several double quick left/right turns of the steering wheel to gain traction and I hit the gas peddle, hoping to kick me back in...Turbo kicked in and poof My wide a$$ came right out and spun around....

Old 03-04-2009, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
"The Lurking 930"...I love it. But Scott, that appears to be a straight stretch of road. How does one manage to spin out on the straight and narrow?
That's how dangerous the handling is on a 930!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
That's how dangerous the handling is on a 930!
The power of this car is not for the weak. This car is more technical.(my 79)...When you hit the turn correctly you are in heaven...You miss the turn by a fair amount you are in hell...Once you learn how to drive this beast/widow maker etc... You can pretty much can drive any Porsche and drive it well...

I am a complete Nooooob but I am trying to understand this car...It is not meant to be a garage queen...Sorry to offend anyone...but they are intended to be driven....and driven hard...

I have allowed fellow friends with 993's 996's and they are amazed at the turbo kick and speed...110 in second gear...YEAH

That turbo kicks in, it needs to be pointing straight....Unless you learn how to utilized the kick...It is not for meek....

All I can say is....We are so lucky to have what we have...You will have a deeper appreciation for what you have once you have someone show you what it truly can do....I did...and this instructor really showed me what these cars are capable of doing......

THEY ARE FREAKING AMAZING...I only hope to experience her true potential one day....

Old 03-04-2009, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I've had
1 #10 VW type 2
2 Sammy's #9 (1 on toyota axles with 35's)
1 #8 my 930
2 #4' Beetle. and yes my '67 had the infamous trunk mounted gas heater! it was cool, it had its own fuel pump, spark plug, and Exhaust pipe coming out in the front fender well!!!

Guess I like flirtin' with disaster. (no molly hatchet reference)

Old 03-05-2009, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: