Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
sudo apt-get purge 930

I need detailed front A-arm mount pics

The PO cobbled together my front a-arms and I'm trying to correct it all. I have installed the ER polybronze bushings with the low friction mounts recommended as well. The problem is that I have to space the front mounts on both sides down about 1/2" just to prevent binding. This is on top of the spacers that are built into the turbo front mounts. The old mounts had spacers only on one side that had the original turbo mount. The other side was an SC mount with no spacers. I have no idea what is correct now. Does anyone have VERY detailed pictures showing ALL of the hardware to mount the front a-arms on a turbo?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 03-05-2009, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

This is as far as I can tighten the front mounts before they start binding. I'm at a loss.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 03-07-2009, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Front mount should have a 3/4" spacer . I have the same bushing in Cristine.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboo934 View Post
Front mount should have a 3/4" spacer . I have the same bushing in Cristine.
Thank you!!! That is what I needed to hear.

--clutch-monkey
Old 03-07-2009, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
There should be spherical shims at front mount too, or is the pic only to show space without them?

I have a 930 Turbo and fitted both, ER bushings and low friction kit. Fits perfect
It's very important to tight the screws step by step and hit with a plastic hammer constantly at the mountings/ A-arm. So get them to move free.

I can make some pics of mine tomorrow (It's 11:30 pm here now), if you want.

Just let me know.

Roland

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 03-07-2009, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffighter View Post
There should be spherical shims at front mount too, or is the pic only to show space without them?

I have a 930 Turbo and fitted both, ER bushings and low friction kit. Fits perfect
It's very important to tight the screws step by step and hit with a plastic hammer constantly at the mountings/ A-arm. So get them to move free.

I can make some pics of mine tomorrow (It's 11:30 pm here now), if you want.

Just let me know.

Roland
I finally got them in. I found some spacers and all is good so far. I would like to see your set up though if you don't mind to verify I've done it correctly.

--clutch-monkey
Old 03-07-2009, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Well, here are the pics:

Note: the spacer (3rd screw, not shown) are 20mm on the left (, 15mm on the right (pic 10mm) side

Hope, this helps

Last edited by proffighter; 03-08-2009 at 06:18 AM..
Old 03-08-2009, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Mark,
In the second photo of your post; are you going to use that bolt to mount the A-arm? Highly recommend you use factory recommended Grade-8 or higher bolts for the mounts. If you already know this, I apologize.

That ERP bushing kit looks beautiful by the way. Too bad it's hidden from public view.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 03-08-2009, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
What does Elephant racing say about the issue? I found that Chuck is easy to talk to over there (he is the owner). I worry that such a large amount of shims is unnecessary and not intended. What does the instructions with the kit say?
I think it will effect the geometry of the suspension in regards to anti dive built into the turbo under braking. It also puts bending loads into the bolts with all those shims spacing it out from the front mount like that.
Did you try loosening the bolts at the aluminum cross bar mount to allow the rear mount to pivot while tightening down the front mount bolts? You may have more angular adjustment there yet.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-08-2009, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
What does Elephant racing say about the issue? I found that Chuck is easy to talk to over there (he is the owner). I worry that such a large amount of shims is unnecessary and not intended. What does the instructions with the kit say?
I think it will effect the geometry of the suspension in regards to anti dive built into the turbo under braking. It also puts bending loads into the bolts with all those shims spacing it out from the front mount like that.
Did you try loosening the bolts at the aluminum cross bar mount to allow the rear mount to pivot while tightening down the front mount bolts? You may have more angular adjustment there yet.
I have the same concerns. I followed the instruction exactly and there is no more adjustment in the rear.

--clutch-monkey
Old 03-08-2009, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I have this kit too sitting on the shelf waiting to go in my 79 930.
Call Chuck Moreland and show him the pictures....he is obligated to give you an answer. Keep us posted on his response....I still don't like what is going on there.
You sure you got the spherical washers installed correctly? This is the only thing that could be not allowing the rotation needed to get everything closer.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-08-2009, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I've gone over it 4 times now. Everything is exactly per instructions. There isn't much in way of adjustment on the rear mounts. The bolt hole through the rear mount/washers is only slightly larger than the bolt itself so there is only so much you can angle the mount in the cross member. I must say that I found pulling and re-installing my engine was easier and less frustrating than this.

--clutch-monkey
Old 03-08-2009, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Dumb question:
Is the bolt too long?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 03-08-2009, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Dumb question:
Is the bolt too long?
Which bolt? The rear ones are them OEM that were in it before. The front ones were too short since I had to add the shims and the washers from the low friction kit so I put longer ones in. I have the rear mounts angled as far up as they will go and I still need about 3/4" spacers on all four front mount bolts; that's even after having the washers from the kit there too. All four mount points require the same amount of shim. I've probably got 1" total shim with all the pieces. If I remove any of this to reduce the shim the arms bind.

--clutch-monkey
Old 03-08-2009, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Well, here are the pics:

If I put mine in with just the spherical washers like this the bushings bind. I had to add an additional 1/2" spacer.

--clutch-monkey
Old 03-08-2009, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
This problem with binding I've had too. I can only highly recommend to tight all screws in little steps rotational and hit the bearings/ A-arm using a nylon or so hammer incessant while thightning. If you tight to much at once, it wont turn free.

Hope this helps

Old 03-08-2009, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Also, how do you verify free movement of the a-arm with the sway bar in? With the sway bar in there is very little movement. If you leave the sway bar out while verifying the movement how do you get the sway bar in without removing the a-arm?

--clutch-monkey
Old 03-08-2009, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
You only can check free movement without swaybar and shock strut connected, that's done quickly, otherwise it's impossible to be sure of no binding. Of course the torsion bar is not fitted either. But when you changed bushing, these parts were off anyway

Don't think you can check free movement and be sure else

Old 03-08-2009, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
You only can check free movement without swaybar and shock strut connected, that's done quickly, otherwise it's impossible to be sure of no binding. Of course the torsion bar is not fitted either. But when you changed bushing, these parts were off anyway

Don't think you can check free movement and be sure else
Correct. So how do you get the sway bar back in without removing the a-arm? If I remove the a-arm to put the sway bar in I've changed the setup and can no longer be sure there is no binding.

--clutch-monkey
Old 03-08-2009, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Aah now is see, I did not think about the stock sway bar, I have a Weltmeister old style, there you can remove each linkage seperatly... In your case I am not sure, but think it could only be possible, when you remove the 2 bushings in the middle, then you can stick the bar deeper through to get into bushing on the other side. Can't give you guarantee, maybe it works, hope so.

1st: A-arms move free, 2nd: sway bar fitting and 3rd: strut and torsion bar mounting

Old 03-08-2009, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: