Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

check ball for oil feed and the feed line with 3.2 intake?

What size check ball should I look for the turbo oil feed line? is it needed and what really is the reason? I have only ever used AN lines before with garret chassis turbos'. also with the 3.2 intake what routing do you use for the oil line? any pictures?

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 03-06-2009, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Ben I used the OEM check ball fitting and as for routing I am going to cut my hose down a little and then take a photo of it.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Here are some pics

I think when I finally get the heat backdate stuff I will cut the length of the hose down some or maybe not as this way does minimize the drastic bends I had a 45 on it but the blasted thing got chewed up on the russel hose I had and wouldn't bite on this hose.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 03-06-2009, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
Ben I used the OEM check ball fitting and as for routing I am going to cut my hose down a little and then take a photo of it.
I have those parts I just need the check ball which is not included with the banjo or the lower fitting

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

I thought the check ball was in the bolt am I mistaken?
Old 03-07-2009, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Hey Ben your right so what is needed? ball? spring? Post part numbers when you find out and is it needed?
Old 03-07-2009, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Happiest when Tinkering

I looked in the PET it just shows the ball (a standard 9mm ball) show what is its function? part number 900 108 022 00 $1.00 from pelican an eternity to get it from Germany.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
what exactly is the purpose of this check ball?
does it close under low pressure and keep the oil in the lines from draining back into the crankcase during shutdown?
or does it truly act as an orifice in restricting the flow rate of oil thru the lines?
Seems like most people assume it is a restrictor for flow, but why use a ball valve and not just a simple orifice like on the cam tower fittings?
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-07-2009, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
what exactly is the purpose of this check ball?
does it close under low pressure and keep the oil in the lines from draining back into the crankcase during shutdown?
or does it truly act as an orifice in restricting the flow rate of oil thru the lines?
Seems like most people assume it is a restrictor for flow, but why use a ball valve and not just a simple orifice like on the cam tower fittings?
Most people feel it restricts flow a bit and stops drain back of oil.

Now the question is does the ball go into the banjo bolt between the idiot light switch or does it go underneath? I have no pictures. it looks like it would work better underneath but I need to make sure

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Always a fun topic!

The ball goes under the banjo bolt. The end of the banjo bolt has two slots cut into it which are about .125" wide by .125" high so as to NOT RESTRICT oil flow.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
Always a fun topic!

The ball goes under the banjo bolt. The end of the banjo bolt has two slots cut into it which are about .125" wide by .125" high so as to NOT RESTRICT oil flow.

yup searched and found it. thanks a 17cent part from the local hardware store

thanks everybody

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Slot is .180 high by .230 wide, 9mm ball, 14mm banjo bolt.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Slot is .180 high by .230 wide, 9mm ball, 14mm banjo bolt.

I think that should be a sticky picture

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Ok so what was decided because when I take the idiot light switch off I can see right down into the case oil galley thru the hole and there is a chamfered edge around the hole in the base adapter. Wouldn't this go up and block the hole for the switch so it wouldn't send the right signal?
Old 03-07-2009, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok so what was decided because when I take the idiot light switch off I can see right down into the case oil galley thru the hole and there is a chamfered edge around the hole in the base adapter. Wouldn't this go up and block the hole for the switch so it wouldn't send the right signal?
just like the picture

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

You can get this ball at the local hardware store? In what section?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
You can get this ball at the local hardware store? In what section?
I live in a town of 10,000 with the next larger city 35 miles away so I feel confident almost any hardware has them in the nut and bolt isle. I just asked the guy if they had "steelies"/ball bearings and he showed them to me quickly. Good luck gerry oh and the project looks great. did you replace all of the fuel lines through the tunnel as well?

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb911 View Post
I live in a town of 10,000 with the next larger city 35 miles away so I feel confident almost any hardware has them in the nut and bolt isle. I just asked the guy if they had "steelies"/ball bearings and he showed them to me quickly. Good luck gerry oh and the project looks great. did you replace all of the fuel lines through the tunnel as well?
Yes I did and I have the scars to prove it, man that stainless steel braid is like a rasp. I learned one thing dont mix and match brands russel hose needs russel fittings and so forth. Oh and Ben the hose you supplied is perfect all I need now is a half inch to AN-12 45 to complete the drain, getting close I can almost taste the bugs in my teeth.

Last edited by gsmith660; 03-08-2009 at 06:25 AM..
Old 03-08-2009, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Always a fun topic!

So no spring on top of the ball? It just uses gravity to seal inside the adaptor fitting to prevent oil drain back when no oil pressure?
Not intended to restrict oil flow then? Lots of guys misuse this to provide restriction to oil flow then with other Garret turbos?
This is a confusing topic......
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-08-2009, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
So no spring on top of the ball? It just uses gravity to seal inside the adaptor fitting to prevent oil drain back when no oil pressure?
Not intended to restrict oil flow then? Lots of guys misuse this to provide restriction to oil flow then with other Garret turbos?
This is a confusing topic......

no spring but I still think it restricts it some by covering the hole in the bottom and requiring oil to flow around the ball into the cross machine bolt

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: