Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
First annual Turbo get together??

Hey I know there's been some talk,, but while it's early, , maybe we could start planning a twice yearly get together ?? BEFORE it gets too hot out?? I was thinking if we do it right,, maybe two a year ?? One in the spring on the west coast and in the fall on the east coast ? ( just an idea), if we do it right we can move them around say,, New England in the fall, Bay Area in the Spring,, then Seattle, S. Cal, Atlanta,, you guys get the idea. That way everyone can get to at least one , once in a while..
What do you guys think ? There's something special about Turbo guys ...
Not that we wouldn't allow the regular 911 guys to come ( we'd just treat em like 2nd class citizens hahahaha)..

Let's discuss.....
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 03-06-2009, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
A bunch of air cooled turbos all in one spot would be a magnificent sight.

81 911SC Coupe Guards Red, Stock. "Zippy"
Old 03-06-2009, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

A gathering is already being discussed somewhere else in the 930 forum.

soooo - this spring / summah Dragon gtg's gotta find a date <coughJUSTINcough>...
Old 03-07-2009, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prials View Post
A gathering is already being discussed somewhere else in the 930 forum.

soooo - this spring / summah Dragon gtg's gotta find a date <coughJUSTINcough>...
Yeah but that's the Dragon Drive with lot's on NON turbo'd and is in the middle of nowhere ( my appologies to the south).. I was talking about an event that would rotate around allowing for alot of us to get together...
Old 03-07-2009, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Just go to the Monterey Historics this year. You will probably see over a hundred old turbos.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I like the idea. It could be interesting to organize around some favorite shops: Imagine Auto (Central), Supertec (West), Turbokraft (SW), Ruf Dallas (SW), etc.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I usually go to a summer meet for Ducati's in Ouray, CO. The mountain roads are phenomenal, views for hundreds of miles and tons fun places to go...Telluride, could also be fun.

Last edited by georgeinhere; 03-07-2009 at 09:53 AM..
Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP View Post
Just go to the Monterey Historics this year. You will probably see over a hundred old turbos.
Probably more Turbos than ever with Porsche being the featured race car at the Laguna Seca track as part of the Monterey, Pebble Beach, Quail lodge Car shows and Auctions that set the benchmark for collectors all in the same week of festivities. No way there is time to take it all in. I might suggest the more laid back Elkhart lake Vintage special ,July 16-19 th, at Road Americas 4 mile track as many consider it the best drivers track along with the best track food( WI Brats seasonal sweet Corn ) Road&Track sponsored race and street car evening concours as a more Central USA location for some that need more space to enjoy and to drive on the excellent back roads for alternate route destinations.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I like the idea. There's a concours on Ameila Island (GA) that might fit in as a side trip?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Yeah but that's the Dragon Drive with lot's on NON turbo'd and is in the middle of nowhere ( my appologies to the south).. I was talking about an event that would rotate around allowing for alot of us to get together...
Don't confuse the two different groups. There is one group doing the Dragon. Then there are a bunch of Turbos from this very forum discussing a he-man super-hero turbo-only drive in the same area.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Todd and the rest

I was going to say Central Coast so that people from LA and San Fran could come and also people like myself that are in the central valley. About 2 hours for everyone... But Laguna Seca seems like a great idea.

Laguna Seca, August 14, 15th (close enough). I already have my hotel. There were only 20 rooms left when I booked my hotel last week at the hotel listed below. The rooms were approx. $475 per night and there was a minimum of 2 nights. This is the official hotel of Laguna Seca and will be filled with Porsche's of all shapes and sizes. The info is below.

Embassy Suites Monterey Bay - Seaside
1441 Canyon Del Rey
Seaside, CA
United States, 93955
Tel: 831-393-1115
Fax: 831-899-1928

Here is the link for all the other hotels during the event. If you plan on going to Laguna.. act now.

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/pages/hotels_restaurants

I plan on arriving on Friday early afternoon and driving back on Sunday once the races are over. It would be great to all get together while we are there. We should all wear a stripe or something on our clothes to make sure we can spot each other out while we are at the event. At the very least we can get together on Friday evening (bar of choice) and have some beers and kick back. Todd, are you planning on going?

This is my input for the West Coast meet but I would be more than open to something else in addition to this event except I feel the Central Coast would be fair to all involved (at least in CA.) so we are splitting up the drive times.

Here is a pic in case someone is heading to Laguna in August. Todd, feel free to call or email if you need anything. How are those plug wires???

Bryan

Old 03-07-2009, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Guys, with Wayne throwing the Aug 14th for the wine tour I"m planning on attending that,, we can all just meet there and be our usual snobbish Turbo selves hahahaha..
Bryan, wires are great (still not the issue but one more thing eliminated).. How was Teluride?
We've got tons of snow you should come up and get some turns it!!!
Todd
Old 03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

How many pieces of flair should we wear? (Sorry had to, we both talked bout Office Space today )

Bryan and I plan on chasing each other up their to Monterey on that Friday (wrench gods willing), would be nice meeting up with other 930 owners as mentioned!

I have never attended the Historics race yet and with Porsche being the Marque this year I am really looking forward to it
Todd, I saw that post on Wayne’s tour and man it really looks great! I would surely attend it if not for the Laguna Seca activities.

Now to arrange that Parade lap Bryan, my 30 in front of yours obviously
Thanks for the help today buddy (Bryan and I time-certed all my rear engine mounting points )

Quote:
Originally Posted by x98boardwell View Post
We should all wear a stripe or something on our clothes to make sure we can spot each other out while we are at the event
Old 03-07-2009, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I think they are only an hour or so apart,, maybe an early eve. get together for everyone going to either event ?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
Probably more Turbos than ever with Porsche being the featured race car at the Laguna Seca track as part of the Monterey, Pebble Beach, Quail lodge Car shows and Auctions that set the benchmark for collectors all in the same week of festivities. No way there is time to take it all in. I might suggest the more laid back Elkhart lake Vintage special ,July 16-19 th, at Road Americas 4 mile track as many consider it the best drivers track along with the best track food( WI Brats seasonal sweet Corn ) Road&Track sponsored race and street car evening concours as a more Central USA location for some that need more space to enjoy and to drive on the excellent back roads for alternate route destinations.
Sounds like a good one for anyone living in the midwest. So far we seem to be left out of the running on the venue choices.
How many interested from this board on a midwest venue?
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-08-2009, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Northeast

Hello all,
How about an event in the Northeast at sometime this summer? I would like to see an exclusive 930 meet for us in this neck of the woods.
John G
Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Northeast meeting for me also....
Old 03-08-2009, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930cabman View Post
Hello all,
How about an event in the Northeast at sometime this summer? I would like to see an exclusive 930 meet for us in this neck of the woods.
John G
I might be able to get together for one of those as well ( I know people who know people with Turbos out there I can ride with ,, Dean ???)
Old 03-08-2009, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Meadowbrook this summer would be nice, I am doing the Porsche to Oxford but Road America sounds great. I envision a number of rabble rousing Porsches showing up for the ferry from Michigan to Wisconsin.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 03-08-2009, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Southeast US here, I always enjoy meeting other Porsche owners at track events such as Rolex 24, Sebring 12 or Petit Le Mans. The idea of getting out as a turbo group for a spirited drive is even more appealing. If I had to choose a "national" event this year for a gathering it would be the Montery Historics.
Peugeot moped
Old 03-08-2009, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: