Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 not starting???

It ran when he parked it a couple months ago... It has spark and the fuel pumps turn on. It fires when I prime it. Any ideas? Could it be the CD box?
Old 03-08-2009, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve930t View Post
It ran when he parked it a couple months ago... It has spark and the fuel pumps turn on. It fires when I prime it. Any ideas? Could it be the CD box?
"It fires..." Do you mean that it will run for a second or two if you "prime" it (and how do you prime a 930, by the way).
Sounds to me like the fuel isn't getting to the fuel distributor. There is a check valve in the fuel pump (I think both of them have the check valve, but not sure on this) that may be stuck. I doubt your problem is the CDI given that you get fire.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes, it will fire for a few seconds if I put some in the fuel distributor. I also doubt it's the CDI but I'm at a loss. Are there any relays that send power to the fuel distributor? I'm going to check for pressure at the fuel filter to see if a check valve is stuck like you mentioned. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Two red relays up front. You can jump 30 and 87 I think it is to test and get the pumps going.

I would think about pumping out the old gas and filling with new as well.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The pumps are working and I have fuel at the filter.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Bad accumulator?
Old 03-09-2009, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Something weird going on there. Fuel to the filter should also mean fuel to the accumulator, and unless there is a blockage somewhere - then the fuel should also be reaching the fuel distrubutor.
Just crossed my mind: How did you get the fuel pumps to activate? Followed 930Rocket's directions? I'm wondering if the micro switch that connected directly to the metering plate control arm is toast. With your intercooler off and the ignition switch on, the pumps will not run unless you depress the metering plate arm (just a couple mm's is all it takes)...basically manually mimic the action of air being pulled in when you crank the engine. If the switch is bad = no fuel when cranking.

Or, perhaps a failure of the pressure regulating mechanism within the fuel distributor (I THINK it's behind one of the banjo bolts...see the link below). Unfortunately I don't remember much about it's function without taking the time to re-read my Bosch CIS manual.

Open this link https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/pdf/en/catalogues/E_911_89_KATALOG.pdf and scroll on down to page 56.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Try disconnecting the connector on the air meter and see if the fuel pumps turn on.

If they don't check the over boost switch by grounding the wire and performing the above test again.

You can press on the are meter plate for a split (and I mean a very split) second to see if the fuel pumps kick on and you hear the whine of the injectors.

Don't do this much as you are dumping raw fuel in the cylinders.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

One of the most common causes of a no start is the black rubber elbow between the air meter housing (flapper door) and the compressor bypass housing (cast piece on left side of engine) blowing off due to a backfire, or oil. If it comes loose, more air gets into the engine than is measured by the air meter. This means the engine runs too lean to start under certain conditions.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

DOES IT HAVE GAS. CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FUEL IN THE TANK.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Had problem to start after I parked in the garage.

After some testing, it was a the relay for the front pump that had stopped working.
After replacing the relay, it fired up.

All the round relays are the same. The relays for the fuel pumps are marked red in case of an accident, so they are easy to spot and remove.
You can try to replace them with any of the black relays.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Actuallly, thay have a resistor or something in them to differentiate (heavier load on the fuel system?) them from the black relays, not to make them easier to pull out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by totle View Post
Had problem to start after I parked in the garage.

After some testing, it was a the relay for the front pump that had stopped working.
After replacing the relay, it fired up.

All the round relays are the same. The relays for the fuel pumps are marked red in case of an accident, so they are easy to spot and remove.
You can try to replace them with any of the black relays.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: