Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to FlashGordon
Leaske WUR

Anyone have Brian's contact info., Email etc.? Thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

930wur@cox.net

I've always gotten very quick replys from him at this email address - excellent guy to deal with !!!

R
Old 03-09-2009, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FlashGordon
Damn. That was quick. Thanks! Anyone know how difficult it is to remove my stock WUR? My airbox is off.. Anyone have a diagram and or instructions?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
Damn. That was quick. Thanks! Anyone know how difficult it is to remove my stock WUR? My airbox is off.. Anyone have a diagram and or instructions?
Simple removal. Stuff a rag around the fittings to catch the gas that will spray out under pressure when you unscrew the fittings. Then, unscrew the hose clamp that goes to the vacuum hose (actually the boost), and unscrew the two nuts that hold the WUR to it's mount. Pull it up until it clears the threaded mounting rods, then to the right to pull away from the hose.
Diaphrams....hmmm, not available to the general public (not a good practise for the rebuilder industry). Perhaps Brian will sell you one if you're not interested in having your WUR modified by him.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Just got mine in the mail. If I can ever figure out how to tune it, I will be doing good!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
River Rat

I purchased a unit from Brian last month. Brian provides comprehensive manuals for both the WUR and the rpm switch ... Very useful documents. I installed the wur and rpm switch in about an hour and the car is running great.

Regards, Dave
1986 930 - K27-7200, Andial Intercooler, Tial Wastegate, Electronic Boost Controller, B&B headers, Bodart Zork, Leask Adjustable WUR, Full Elephant Racing Suspension w/Adustable Spring Plates and Von Shocks, Wevo Transmission Mounts, Fuel Safe Fuel Cell, Forgelines (9"/11"), Hargett Shifter, Innovate AFR, Cobra CF Seats, DAS Rollbar, Coleman Floating Rotors, Lightweight Interior, Forgeline 17" x 9"/11", 2800 lbs.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Is the RPM switch necessary for a non EFI car? I've received conflicting advice...- Excuse the potentially ignorant question, but in the four years I have owned my 930, I am just gathering the courage to start turning wrenches on it...
Old 03-10-2009, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post
Is the RPM switch necessary for a non EFI car? I've received conflicting advice...- Excuse the potentially ignorant question, but in the four years I have owned my 930, I am just gathering the courage to start turning wrenches on it...
Simple answer is yes. An EFI car doesn't have a warm up regulator as all of the CIS components have been stripped off. The RPM switch is there to delay the boost signal to the WUR to help eliminate the rich mid range caused by adding more fuel for "on boost" enrichment. You will need it
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL930 View Post
Simple answer is yes. An EFI car doesn't have a warm up regulator as all of the CIS components have been stripped off. The RPM switch is there to delay the boost signal to the WUR to help eliminate the rich mid range caused by adding more fuel for "on boost" enrichment. You will need it
Is it (the RPM switch) something that is standard on a 930, or is it an extra part that I will have to order? Thanks again...
Old 03-10-2009, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Infidel

Not standard on a 930, it's something that Brian Leask developed to aid in tuning the adjustable WUR. See it as a simple on/off tap. In stock form a pipe is fed directly to the WUR from the manifold, so that as soon as boost builds a diaphragm in the WUR moves and lowers control pressure, lower control pressure means more fuel through the injectors. Problem being 2 fold, a more modern turbo like the K27 will produce boost quicker, it will also produce more power. To tackle the extra power you need more fuel, so you adjust your WUR to give you more fuel, BUT because you are also building boost sooner you get this extra fuel too soon.
You cut the pipe going to your WUR from the manifold and fit the RPM switch, you then put a certain chip in the switch to open the tap at a certain RPM point, say 4200rpm. You then hook up the RPM switch to your tach (or elsewhere, someone else will help). Then the boost to the WUR only gets through above that RPM level, which means you only get the extra fuel when you want it. Does that make sense?
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 03-10-2009, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Smile

I've installed my own version of rpm limiter/solenoid to work in conjunction with my Andial enrichment gizzmo, and have it wired in series with the Andial stock boost pressure sensor. The boost sensor is set to activate at .7bar, and the rpm switch at 4600. These all feed back to the Andial control circuit board to activate the frequency valve. By wiring them in series, neither will activate the FV alone...both must have reached their threshholds. Consequently, rpms must be > 4600 and boost must be >.7bar for it to add fuel to the equation.

Why the dual setup? When going through the gears at less than WOT, and not developing boost beyond .7bar...but still running the rpm's up there...I don't risk adding extra fuel just because the rpm's happen to be at or above 4600. That's the theory anyway.

How's it working for me? Heck, I don't know yet since I just finished the installation! I've been using the Andial for several years in it's stock configuration, set to activate at .6bar but wanted to delay things even more with rpm selectability. I guess we'll see how it all comes together...when I get it all back together.

Now for "the rest of the story": I've got a Leask WUR on the way any day now, sans the rpm solenoid. Once installed, I'll have to see if by itself it's sufficient or build another rpm setup just to control the new WUR midrange (in which case I would deactivate the Andial setup).

Or maybe push car up to 5 zillion bar and crank everything up to the max until raw gas is hosing out the tailpipe. Think about it: A Leask WUR with boost enrichment adjustability and a custom modified Andial, and maybe even later a funky metering plate cone thingamajig to add even more fuel. Oh, and perhaps monkeying with my stock lambda system open-loop and rigging it to trigger at some excessive duty cycle, or adding a huge Garrett turbo.

Thus is the trap..."more is better". All this insantity is giving me gas(oline) pains. My internal bodily AFR's are at about 6.0, kinda like after eating too much Mexican food
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
Anyone interested in a Leask WUR with heavier diaphram? cold and warm pressures want to stay to high thinking of going back to stock unit.
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 03-10-2009, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: