Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I hear you.
You can always bring the Fuchs P-U... I've taken the MCS few times... it is always fun.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

My Dark Confession

So I'm just gonna come right out with it and take my beating...go ahead, strip old sandy of his piece (you served me and my women well, penis)...take away my man card and sign me up for the vag transplant.

I've never been on a track. I gots no helmet. I might even drive like I have my kids in the car holding groceries on their lap. I've been to Sebring, Daytona, and VIR too many times to count, but always as spectator.

My car is just transportation to me. And I've always lived under the motto that if you can't afford to leave it at the track (from a shunt), you shouldn't be on the track.

So am I asking for trouble? Are these Tom Fools in Charlotte still gonna let me drive with an even bigger Tom Fool in the passenger seat?

I'm still in, just trying to get my hands around the event.

Here's a recent picture of me, setting up my facebook account:
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 03-18-2009 at 10:22 AM..
Old 03-18-2009, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Sand_Man..

You're still using dial-up?!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!

Last edited by onboost; 03-22-2009 at 06:42 AM..
Old 03-18-2009, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Sand_Man..

Hes' gotta be still using dial-up!
Yeah, I steal it from my neighbor!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 03-18-2009, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Sand_man; you are IT. You'll be welcome.

Last edited by Miguel Antonett; 03-18-2009 at 07:18 AM..
Old 03-18-2009, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Do some YouTube searches on CMP & Porsche (The GT3 clip is schwinnnng!). It gives you a good feel for the track and run-off obstacles.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 03-18-2009 at 06:59 AM..
Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

beancounter

Jeff, this will be my virgin track event as well (in the car, that is, done many on me motorbike). So long as you keep your head on straight, and avoid testosterone fueled stupidity (which can be difficult) its much safer than the street. I would like to paraphrase an excellent piece of advice from the British motorcycle magazine: Performance Bikes:

"Never use your Porsche turbo as a penis extension"
Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
I would like to paraphrase an excellent piece of advice from the British motorcycle magazine: Performance Bikes:

"Never use your Porsche turbo as a penis extension"
That's a new signature line, brother! LMAO!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
First off, Jeff i'm going to u use as an example of what u should not do regarding this weekend - STRESS. Hey, u got enough things in life to worry about; having fun on a weekend should not be one of them

I arranged the track day so that it would be user friendly for everyone, esp the guy that's never been on a track. That is the purpose of driving with an instructor. Before going out on your track run, u will be spending time with your instructor going over the rules and regs of the track. He will be in the car with u all the times, communicating via headset, what u are doing right and wrong. This way, you gradually increase your speed as you increase your comfort level. On the track, everyone respects those who are beginners, and nobody is gonna be beating u up for going slow (making fun of you later is another story).

Basically, u guys here that are on the fence because you've never been on a track, this is a great, safe opportunity to get out there with your 930 and get the feel of things.

You'll be amazed when you learn what you car is actually capable of on the track as well.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Sounds cool! I feel better. I'll buy a Greyhound bus ticket in advance just in case I choke so that way I'll have a ride home! LOL!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post
First off, Jeff i'm going to u use as an example of what u should not do regarding this weekend - STRESS. Hey, u got enough things in life to worry about; having fun on a weekend should not be one of them

I arranged the track day so that it would be user friendly for everyone, esp the guy that's never been on a track. That is the purpose of driving with an instructor. Before going out on your track run, u will be spending time with your instructor going over the rules and regs of the track. He will be in the car with u all the times, communicating via headset, what u are doing right and wrong. This way, you gradually increase your speed as you increase your comfort level. On the track, everyone respects those who are beginners, and nobody is gonna be beating u up for going slow (making fun of you later is another story).

Basically, u guys here that are on the fence because you've never been on a track, this is a great, safe opportunity to get out there with your 930 and get the feel of things.

You'll be amazed when you learn what you car is actually capable of on the track as well.
Justin is spot on..

It's not about trying to show how big your gonads are or how much speed you can carry through a corner.

It's a Drivers Ed event, the E stands for education.. thus it's not a race and you don't have to worried about what everyone else is doing or how fast they are going. You'll be surprised at what you'll learn about yourself, your car, and the limits of both. A lot of the experience will transfer with you to the street making you a better driver by knowing where some of those limits are.

In essence, it may allow you to stop wearing your that "NASA Diaper" every time you take the Turbo out!!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
...it may allow you to stop wearing your that "NASA Diaper" every time you take the Turbo out...

but Paul just think then of the time we'll make getting there by keeping "it" ON? AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

and

the "making fun of" part will happen after no matter how fast or slow any of us goes out there - I think that's part of the reason I'm going actually . Nothing like some good ribbin betwixt good friends. Tho I promise not to call you Francis:

besides

if you DO get that "Vag transplant"... heck... you may never leave home! I'd not...

Looking forward to meeting you Jeff...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 03-18-2009, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post

the "making fun of" part will happen after no matter how fast or slow any of us goes out there - I think that's part of the reason I'm going actually . Nothing like some good ribbin betwixt good friends.

Looking forward to meeting you Jeff...
I couldn't agree more! I can take a pretty good ribbing/beating, so I'm not worried about that. I'll pick on myself way more than anyone there, will!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Jeff,

The first thing is to just get out there. You go at your own pace and the instructor will help show you the line, watch your mirrors, braking, etc. but above all, be SAFE and have fun.

Everybody has to start at the begining. Even Brian Keith Smith! Who I've told about the event and is going to try and make it. He's a great instructor, as he has a TON of track time in a Turbo.

BTW, you need to lay off the computer, cuz you have REALLY changed since I last saw you at VIR.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 03-18-2009 at 05:03 PM..
Old 03-18-2009, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Bill is Dead.

Jeff,

CMP is a "home track" for me. I've driven there and I've corner worked there.

I have seen 3 different cars piled into the tire wall just past T3, and all 3 were because they did not follow the instructor's advice.

If you have what it takes to acknowledge that you are a beginner and to acknowledge that the instructor does know what he's talking about, and the mental discipline to "take-it-easy" until you learn the ropes, then there is little chance that you will have to use that Greyhound ticket.

And even as a novice, I can pretty much guarantee that you have never enjoyed your car so much as you will on the track.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Thanks Rocket and Cash! To be honest, its always been something I've wanted and been meaning to do. I just never had a good feeling, until this upcoming event.

I already accept that I suck and am a novice. So I will leave what little ego I have, at the door. Perhaps I can keep my penis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflyer View Post
Jeff,

CMP is a "home track" for me. I've driven there and I've corner worked there.

I have seen 3 different cars piled into the tire wall just past T3, and all 3 were because they did not follow the instructor's advice.

If you have what it takes to acknowledge that you are a beginner and to acknowledge that the instructor does know what he's talking about, and the mental discipline to "take-it-easy" until you learn the ropes, then there is little chance that you will have to use that Greyhound ticket.

And even as a novice, I can pretty much guarantee that you have never enjoyed your car so much as you will on the track.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

< ----- Has scheduled his baby into the shop for a major service and pre-track day prep. Woohoo ... Turbolooza Fest ... bring it on!
Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Bill is Dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
Perhaps I can keep my penis?
I've always heard that it grows a little after each track event. True or not, I'm going to attend as many events as possible just to be safe.

Okay, Juicersr... as much as I hate the idea of being on track with Shadetree930, I cannot pass up on this event. Do we register with you, or with Turn One?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

I apologize to my brothers and sisters for the continued use of the p-word in this thread...that is all...carry on!
Old 03-19-2009, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflyer View Post
Okay, Juicersr... as much as I hate the idea of being on track with Shadetree930, I cannot pass up on this event. Do we register with you, or with Turn One?
Not to worry ... They have created a special run group in order to keep me separated from the general P-car population ... its called Bill.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 03-19-2009 at 12:52 PM..
Old 03-19-2009, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: