Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
2nd(ish) annual East coast Summer Turbolooza Fest

Ok Boyz, was recently alerted to rumblings regarding need for another 'need for speed' weekend soooo - this spring / summah Dragon gtg's gotta find a date <coughJUSTINcough>... while i was on vacation, this time in the warmth of the southern summer sunshine. As i know a lot of folks are meeting up in Monterey, this will be a chance for east coast turbo guys to get together, check out Blackbird, do some track time, and have some fun in the mountains.

Reapers ride is currently being prepared for it's journey to Skunk works east (aka Zuffenhaus) in Charlotte for the final stage of it's tranformation and tuning. Gabriel will be heading back the the states the thrid weekend of June, so thought we could build a turbo get-together, track weekend, ride around this.

Thus, tentative weekend as follows

Friday, June 26, afternoon - Meet up at Zuffenhaus in charlotte, NC afternoon of for viewing of Blackbird, with hanging out in Charlotte that evening.

Sat, June 27 - Turbo track day at Carlolinas Motorsports Park http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/trackabout.html on. For those of you who have never been there, CMP is a great 2.3 mile track 17 miles south of Charlotte that caters to a lot of NASA and SCCA events, and has a GREAT track day service called 'Turn One' http://www.turnonetrackevents.com/ . I have checked, and they are open for us to book Sat, the 27th with as many guys as wish, for a track day. The cost is $275 for the day, per guy with instructor. If we have more than 10 guys, the cost will be less. The cost may be less if you dont wish to have an instructor. Thus, basically, we sign up and everyone just sends their $$$ in; show up and have fun. If u have never tracked your turbo, this would be a great time, as you can drive as fast or slow as you like on a track in a non-race setting. Basically a DE situation. It will also be a chance for Gabriel to get to know Blackbird at speed in a controlled setting, so that he doesn't go off-roading in his first couple of miles on the way back to TX

Afternoon - Head back to Charlotte for meet-up at Hooter, uptown Cabaret, etc for more wholesome family entertainment

Sun Jun 28, Mountain run. Wayah, Dragon, Cherohala, etc. Nuff said.

Like the previous 'Dragon weekend' this will be fairly laid back; If there is enough interest, will plan more detailed stuff (keg stand competition, wet t-shirt contest, etc), but this skeleton plan is for starters.

What do you guys think?

Hopefully, this time around, everyones turbo (including mine) will be healthy and we will have more Turbos than N/A cars present.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com

Last edited by juicersr; 03-11-2009 at 09:17 PM..
Old 03-11-2009, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
beancounter

I like the plan...count me as an interested party. My car was purchased in Charlotte, so this would be like a homecoming of sorts. Its a goal of mine to get the car on track this season and your dates are conflicting with the 1st PCA track event I've been eyeing in my region at Pocono. Long drive to get there but if we can do CMP, I get my track fix AND get to hang out with other crusty old turbo fans.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Hey this guy ain't old Heard my name

Justin - thanks for setting this up man - let's get this going and the track booked! That price is a treat!

I'm sure the instructor is just going shake his head when he asks me about track seat time and then I show him the car...

GAWD I can't wait for June to come around!!!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Another "count me" as a GO. Will see you guys and gals there.

Now it's time for everyone that has been asking for another Dragon run, there it is... sign up for track time on Sat and a nice/smooth drive on Sunday.

Thank you Justin!

Last edited by Miguel Antonett; 03-11-2009 at 08:38 AM..
Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
beancounter

Crusty and old was a tongue-in-cheek reference to our preference in cars, not to owner/drivers age. 35 years old here...some grey hair, but not crusty yet
Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Haha, 27 in July here so you are old! Just kidding, and yeah I got the reference, it will be great to put a name to a face.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I rather don't talk about age; if so, I might not be allowed to drive the Dragon... :-)
Old 03-11-2009, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Justin lives!

Heh heh, was getting a bit worried about you here - thinking that once you had cultured your Euro Pits over there and gotten home that maybe you were lost in said wafting 'aroma'.

Or like something. And stuff.

that said

(pending a triple check with What's Her Face's schedule) I just checked my cal for that spread and I... recently sprouted 2 grey hairs as I ripen to '36' next week... am ***IN***.

!!!

Wicked jazzed for this, waywaycool of you to set it up yet again Justin (not like you felt any pressure or anything, naaa).

I do have 'some' reservation about driving 1/2 way across the country, doing a DE _and_ the Dragon, then driving 1/2 way across the country again tho I do. Hmmm. I'll hafta chew on 'that one' a bit.

But regardless, I'm there for the hang / drool / beerz / Dragon fersure. Let us know a drop-dead date to reg for CMP tho if you could so I can plan accordingly on the odd chance I bump my head and make a really dumb decision.

Jacob... as time approaches we'll determine the reconnoiter plan for us to caravan down yes.

Justin / Miguel / Gabriel / Jacob - can't wait to meet ya's, see (and witness WOT) your cars, and have a beer or 7 together. Awesome.

June'll be here fast!

Looking forward to it gentz. Hopefully a number more youses will chime in and be there as swell (psssst: *BENDER*)...

FREEBIRD!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 03-11-2009, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Been to CMP several times. Good track, lots of fun (and run off for the newbies). I'll try to keep my schedule open for that weekend.

Jim
Old 03-11-2009, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

If it helps keep the costs down, I've got a few buddies that might be able to join the track day.

Instructors won't be needed...
Old 03-11-2009, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Ohhhhhh man.. here we go!

Just penciled it in on the hard calendars and added in outlook!

Paul "krasuskyp" has a good point about the trip, track-time, and additional run..but we'll see. Hmmm where's my damn helmet?

Justin, thanks for getting another one together.... uh, would love to drool (I promise to wipe it up) on Matt's collection if that could be worked again!!!

Also, jwasbury, krasuskyp, and any of you others that may be traveling from north of me.. as the time draws closer, maybe we can work out some logistics and link-up to caravan down as you pass through the Metro DC/NOVA area!

Reaper.. you'll be getting some track time in the beast eh..? get ready to pucker daddy-o!

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Let us know a drop-dead date to reg for CMP tho if you could so I can plan accordingly on the odd chance I bump my head and make a really dumb decision.
Paul, are you suggesting that doing CMP is a dumb decision for you? Let me help you out on this one...if its a question of doing the dragon, or doing CMP (not both), do the track man! I've been to the dragon 3x (mounted aboard my trusty Ducati M900), its cool, but the track is better. I agree with you that participating in all of the activities Justin has proposed may be difficult, especially for you and I coming from far afield. If you wanna do CMP on Saturday, hang with fellow crazy turbo-heads for the eve, then blast home on Sunday (skipping the dragon), I'm right there with ya partner.

OnBoost...I'm sure we can arrange a rendevous to strengthen the convoy.

Plenty of lovely roads to run between here and there...Blue Ridge, Skyline...
Old 03-11-2009, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Wayah Road Warrior

<---- is penciled in.

But speaking as one of "the old men" ... that is gonna be one long-assed weekend. Between a full-on track day and a back-to-back 500 mile run the next day .... I am gonna need some Geritol.

Will confirm downstream once I check with my social coordinator.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 03-11-2009 at 04:37 PM..
Old 03-11-2009, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
My parents live in Lake Lure N.C. I'm a definite maybe with the trac dog!!!
Sounds like you guys might need some "yankee blood" there hehehehe
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 03-11-2009, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
I've been to the dragon 3x (mounted aboard my trusty Ducati M900), its cool, but the track is better...
Mmmm... Duc / Dragon x3 yum.

now

Well I'm full of dumb decisions - this one's actually prolly one of me brighter 8-). Course it's cool but the track is better. In an odd moment of clarity I note I'd have to keep a 3rd eye on WOT'ing unbridled all day all weekend a car that's returning me 780 home. I've tracked (tho not ze 930 a GT3) I've Ring'd but I've not Dragon'd. Dunno - color me weird - guess it's just one of those stoopid bedpost things or something.

Paul - jah mon - Jacob / I will aim to rendezvous you somewhere 81S/66W junction or more opportune spot of your choice (we'd be West'ing DC) it'll be a fun bomb down together and 1/2 the fun is getting there. 1/2 the fun is being there. 1/2 the fun is getting home. Wait that's 3 halfs.

Prials - er, sad is I feel ohsogeezerish but'm not. D'oh. Well, adding 300mi will be an age-multiplier for me / Jacob so we got that going for us.

Heh, 951 colleague of mine - upon mentioning this to him today-

"Paul: June / NC / eight hundred 930miles (like dog miles?) / you removed your a/c"

Bring it! 8-)

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 03-11-2009 at 05:34 PM..
Old 03-11-2009, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
In an odd moment of clarity I note I'd have to keep a 3rd eye on WOT'ing unbridled all day all weekend a car that's returning me 780 home.
Paul, seriously...what are the chances that both of us wad our cars or grenade our engines? We should be able to count on at least one 930 being in operational condition to get us home. In pinch, we could combine the best parts of each of ours to make one good runner

Let me also remind you that there is no run-off at the dragon. If you lose it on that road, there is very little chance you'll be driving it home.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
Paul, are you suggesting that doing CMP is a dumb decision for you? Let me help you out on this one...if its a question of doing the dragon, or doing CMP (not both), do the track man! I've been to the dragon 3x (mounted aboard my trusty Ducati M900), its cool, but the track is better. I agree with you that participating in all of the activities Justin has proposed may be difficult, especially for you and I coming from far afield. If you wanna do CMP on Saturday, hang with fellow crazy turbo-heads for the eve, then blast home on Sunday (skipping the dragon), I'm right there with ya partner.

OnBoost...I'm sure we can arrange a rendevous to strengthen the convoy.

Plenty of lovely roads to run between here and there...Blue Ridge, Skyline...
Hey guys, dont worry, be happy Even if you just come down for the all the hot chicks and beer that are gonna be there, we wont think anything less of u

Seriously, first and foremost, i want it to be a stress free weekend and give u an opportunity to take a good old fashioned long summer road trip in you favorite ride (which you know u havent been getting enough seat time in). If u are worried about the old Turbo girl having issues, bring you next favorite road weapon and meet some other Pelican, check out Gabe's ride and see it run, drink some beer, have a bong hit, whatever. As always, whatever part of the weekend u want to participate in is cool.

For the track day, basically the more that sign up, the more of a discount we all get. i am checking on all the particulars and will have an update on the cost if we can get, say more than 10 to sign up.

Still working on the route of the run (can someone give me more 411 on the wayah road - like the part about low law enforcement)?

Detail, as always, to follow.

If you know for sure u are in, just email or pm me so i can start getting a head count.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 03-11-2009, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
What day will you all be runnin' the Dragon?
I'd like to pencil myself in for that day and cross my fingers that nothing comes up to stop it.
My car has been neglected terrible sense I took on the second job so I need some prep time as well ...
Old 03-11-2009, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
What day will you all be runnin' the Dragon?
June 28th
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I guess I need to be at work on Friday? OK, only if a 914 is allowed on this trip.
R Gruppe #435

ZUFFENHAUS
Old 03-11-2009, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: