Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
I am an idiot!!!

Had to say it.. you guys might recall my transmission issues,,well FINALLY figured it out this weekend.. Just to show you how you can be POSITIVE you remember how something went it.. Long story short after three engine drops,, thinking I had a bent fork, an incorrect snap ring, or an unknown ailment .. I PUT THE REVERSE IDLER GEAR ON BACKWARDS,, this is the one thing I was absolutely sure I remembered how it came off..

The really good news is the tracdog is back on the road,,,, I"m so happy!!
Here's a pic of the culprit,, it's the middle gear on the left
Thanks for listening..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 03-16-2009, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Idiot...I think not. But once you hit the big five-oh and beyond, age is always a good excuse.
Lesson learned; take before and after pictures with a digital camera. The pictures are free, and priceless in the time they can save you.

I remember once back in the early 80's buying a partially restored '69 CJ5 (you know, the ones with the gas tank bomb you sat on), and after I put her all back together the damn thing would BAM!! violently out of gear as soon as you let the clutch out. That year I learned the finer points of transmission disassembly and repair. Turned out the idiot (there's that word again) who originally rebuilt it left out a simple critical part. A few bucks later and lots of beer, sweat, and swearing she was as good as new. I kept that CJ5 for 15 years until it finally succumbed to road cancer after too much time in the Chicago area.
So was the re-builder an idiot, or maybe just old???
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Amen on the pictures! I took a lot and labled every part numerically, then layed them out in order of removal. Add in the manual and it went back together like a dream.

9, glad you figured it out.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Heh...Todd, Bryan and I looked, studied, consulted PET and had a beer then finally made a decision on my tran
when I was replacing the nose plate after a shift rod seal change, on which way that bugger went!

Glad you got it fixed!
Old 03-16-2009, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Good *****- glad you figured your problem out, I was thinking it was something bad like a distorted case... Todd, how bad did you want to take out the Sawsall and cut a notch in the frame to clear the shift bar? (as to be able to swing the trans down without undoing the motor)
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
Good *****- glad you figured your problem out, I was thinking it was something bad like a distorted case... Todd, how bad did you want to take out the Sawsall and cut a notch in the frame to clear the shift bar? (as to be able to swing the trans down without undoing the motor)
Actually was thinking of that, I understand the guys with race cars actually do that..
I really don't mind dropping the engine, it's draining the damn fluids that I can't stand..
Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

So this means you'll be in for the June track event right
Old 03-17-2009, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I've done that with a few parts. Idiot, no. Hell I think EVERYONE that wrenches on there own junk has done that before. Good thing is YOU and a friend found it. Not a repair shop.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper930 View Post
So this means you'll be in for the June track event right
It's a definate maybe,, so does this mean we might BOTH be trailering our cars back ? LOL
Old 03-17-2009, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Come to think of it, I've rebuilt 1/2 my car twice. The first time I always forget to re-install something and have to do it over again. The other times I got lucky.

Doesn't everyone have those times where your almost done, look down and say, "oh *****!" because you see a part you forgot to install?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

On my engine removal this winter, I bagged and tagged every part/nut/bolt/washer that came off my engine drop!
Engine is back in now and I have several things left over
Old 03-17-2009, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I had an empty case of oil that I used for extra nuts, bolts, etc. It was half full qfter 15 years. I just figured they over engineered the cars with all my left overs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl8ton View Post
On my engine removal this winter, I bagged and tagged every part/nut/bolt/washer that came off my engine drop!
Engine is back in now and I have several things left over
Old 03-17-2009, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: