Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Msd 6al humming/sound quest...

Greetings:

I finally started my car up. It took me since July/1999...LONG FREAKIN TIME...
All injectors replaced, fuel pumps,plugs, fuel accumulator,fuel, oil, battery, all ignition upgraded-MSD,Fuel & oil filters..

It took approx 3 attempts for it to turn over...Once started burst of smoke..blew out...Ran it for approx 15-20mins...Before my shop buddy was closing up his shop, so he go can go home...If it was up to me i wish could stay past 6pm. Checked the timing factory...26, 4000rpm.& rpm at idle....So far so good...
I turned off the car, and started the car after 10mins...Just for the heck of it...With my luck it wouldn't turn over again...I HAVE TO SAY WITH THE MSD--The car just started within a blink of an eye...That has never been done before....I AM A BELIEVER WITH MSD....
The MSD IS INSIDE THE CAR...I noticed a small humming noise from the unit...Is this right?????

God...it felt great to hear my engine!!!! 3.3turbo--engine in a 82SC Targa...SC Cams, 7006-,B&B dual exhaust..Euro-headers-no cat, Hks fuel enrichment, Magnecor wires,.Engine was completely rebuilt in 1994..New guides,bearings,rings,etc..etc..Approx 9000+-miles on the engine.

I installed a front oil cooler and braided lines..Got rid of the trombone. Installed a 930S bumper--Better Bodies...Took forever for them to get it to me 4 weeks!!!

The car is now at the body shop for the front bumper to be painted and small stuff around the car......Should be done soon...God willing!

I like to give thanks to all the members like Rarly-Brian, Nathan, 930 Rocket, and others ....For all these great threads!

This is the best Porsche-info site....

Thnxs again!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

yes, msd boxes will make a hum, got it on two cars, in one it's under the back seat so it's not heard, in the engine compartment on the other. if i drive the other w/o a back seat though, you can easily hear the box. glad to hear it's back up and running.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thnxs!!

I have mine located in the back--on the center floor also....

Walt.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Yep, they make a little noise. Glad you got the car running. What a wait!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
I run mine under the back seat and dont' hear it either....but after the Bosche CDI died, I went to eh MSD 6Al and havne't had any problems....except that you can't run the stock rotor in the distributor...it will melt the epoxy on the top...you need a different rotor without the resistor.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
Can you buy the rotor or do you need to do the resistor 'mod' to make the stock one compatible?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Take the resistor off the rotor...And thats it.....

Walt.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
There's a DIY for that rotor mod either here or on Rennlist....can't recall which
Old 03-18-2009, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: