Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

HELP - Omega Spring

Hello,

The bracket that holds one side of the omega spring (and also serves as a stop for the clutch actuating "arm") broke in two and I am replacing it . . . I've got the new bracket mounted but can't seem to figure out how to install the Omega spring . . . I know which direction it goes, but can't figure out how to compress it enough so it will mount in the appropriate spots . . . any tips out there ?????

Thanks - Ronnie

Old 03-20-2009, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Here's a "before" picture I took before my 930 teardown. Hope this helps....

It really does go on pretty easy. Keeping it from slipping off before everything is adjusted in, is the tricky part.

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 03-20-2009, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Hello - thanks for the pic . . . I've got the orientation of the spring correct, but can't figure out how to get it to go on . . . struggled with it for a couple of hours and have not made any real progress . . . can't seem to get enough leverage on it with a screwdriver and such to compress it enough . . . will keep trying! There must be some trick to this. I was present and helping when this was installed last summer (at the time my engine went it) but do not remember what was done (was quick and easy, though). . .

R
Old 03-20-2009, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
You don't have the clutch cable already on do you?
You kind of swing the spring on so-to-speak with the clutch lever adjusted out if I remember correctly.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P

Last edited by WERK I; 03-20-2009 at 06:22 PM..
Old 03-20-2009, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

i am not looking forward to dealing with that thing someday.
...i've looked at it a few times and wished it was in an old school bus somewhere where it belongs ..and not in my car
Old 03-20-2009, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just put my OíSpring in and helped a buddy recently.
Trick is, you wedge it up there and then take a (screw driver/bar) and cock the spring back manually.

Yea, we had 3 PíCar enthusiasts flat on our backs holding Rockets pic up (see below) wearing Bono eye wear and hoping nobody lost any teeth over this procedure.

It all turned out good in the end

Old 03-20-2009, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
I remember! Amazing what a good nights' sleep will do for an ol' man.

If you look at Rod's (cl8ton) pic above, and look to the left. You see how the two levers(short and long) mount on the shaft. The long lever does not turn with the shaft but floats. To mount that omega spring, have only the long lever on that shaft. Swing the long lever out towards the bellhousing and then try to mount the spring at its two mounting points. The spring will go on very easy. Once the spring is mounted, push the long lever towards the position in the picture above. The tricky part is keeping the long lever from sliding down that shaft when you've mounted the spring. Two people make it a snap.

You'll be surprised how easy the springs sets in.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks "ol' man" - I now remember this was the "order of installation" done last summer !!! I will get to this later today and let you know how it goes !!!

Ron
Old 03-21-2009, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

We should put a sticky on this topic to keep it at the top (along with "why my car won't start?".

That spring is always nerve wracking to load up. I've printed this picture out and keep it in the garage so everytime I need it, it's right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl8ton View Post
Just put my OíSpring in and helped a buddy recently.
Trick is, you wedge it up there and then take a (screw driver/bar) and cock the spring back manually.

Yea, we had 3 PíCar enthusiasts flat on our backs holding Rockets pic up (see below) wearing Bono eye wear and hoping nobody lost any teeth over this procedure.

It all turned out good in the end

Old 03-21-2009, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks again Dave (and thanks to Rocket for the great pic) . . . I did as you advised, and after a bit of fiddling to figure out how to get everything oriented correctly, the spring went on with very little trouble !!!!

Ronnie
Old 04-11-2009, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Congrat's Ronnie. Good job and always glad to help. Now, forget whatever you've learned, because you'll probably never need it for another five years!
Old 04-12-2009, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
Here's a "before" picture I took before my 930 teardown. Hope this helps....

It really does go on pretty easy. Keeping it from slipping off before everything is adjusted in, is the tricky part.

I posted this in another thread, but figured I would ask here...

Does anyone know the part number for the bracket that the omega spring compresses against in this pic? I am missing it. All of the books, manuals, and pics on this site usually show the Omega spring with the rounded ends, which uses a different bracket. The bracket here looks like its just a 90 degree bend angle bracket?
Old 06-03-2010, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ok, after hours of happy searching on the net...

There are two different parts numbers for the brackets...

930 116 611 06
915 116 070 00

Unfortunately, the pics of both refer to the same parts diagrams, which can't be right.

Does anyone know if either of these is in fact the right bracket for an omega spring with the 2 ninety degree bends at the ends???
Old 06-03-2010, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

All this prying and wedging might work but the best way is to use a medium sized C clamp to compress it a little and then position it. Works like a breeze.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Ok, after hours of happy searching on the net...

There are two different parts numbers for the brackets...

930 116 611 06
915 116 070 00

Unfortunately, the pics of both refer to the same parts diagrams, which can't be right.

Does anyone know if either of these is in fact the right bracket for an omega spring with the 2 ninety degree bends at the ends???

Hello and sorry it took me so long to get back to you on ths!!!

930 116 611 06 - is the correct part number . . . I found the original packaging from the bracket I ordered last year and this is the part number on it (and was correct for my car - 1987 930).

The bracket you will get does NOT look like the one in the pic whey you enter the part number, but it is the right one . . .

Ronnie
Old 06-03-2010, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thanks Ronnie! That makes me feel better. I ordered it about 10 minutes ago, figuring it was worth a shot.

Thank you very much for verifying the info!

Bo
Old 06-03-2010, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

One more round of thanks to you guys for posting this info. I've spent the better part of a day on the phone, on the internet, or at the dealership trying to confirm the part number for the above bracket (versus the incorrect pic in the Porsche illustrations). Now I can sleep peacefully tonight! Too bad I will still have to wait for the part to ship from Germany (don't worry, ordering through our gracious host).

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the great info provided on this site!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

My next job, on mine this is thanks guys.

porsche930.myfreeforum.org
Old 07-14-2012, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Every t ime...

I remove my spring, I have to look for this thread to re install. You can fight with it all day, or do it the easy way! Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno

Last edited by philip j; 07-14-2012 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: sp
Old 07-14-2012, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

yep i always print the picture and crawl under the car with it.

88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: