Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I can't imagine the footwell blowers are supposed to run on low all the time, but the electrical systems in these cars are kinda ___ so who knows.

There's a goofy little autoheat thermostat fan mounted to the back of the ashtray too.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Now that you mention it, I do notice (hear) with the engine off and key on...a very soft low fan sound up front. I guess that's the heater fans running in slo-mo. Must be designed to always run for ventilation purposes, I suppose. But are they supposed to ramp-up in response to the thermostat knob setting? If so, I've never been able to hear any change (of course, hard to hear with the car running).
You are probably hearing the fan on the temp sensor mounted in the dash. Next time you are in the car, turn on the key. You should hear that temp sensor fan turning.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 04-27-2009 at 04:45 PM..
Old 04-27-2009, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
I have 3 911s in my 84 the blower motor went out 2 month ago,have a 88 930 Turbo that is apart at this time, check to see if fan on motor is moving I have found that the fan will move up and contact the lower part of the motor housing and melt the plastic. I pulled the fan down off the housing and the motor worked. Brunt the 84 motor if any one can tell me where to get a new motor
Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
Hmmmm.....I think I'll wait to see who else chimes in and verify that these are supposed to run like this all the time....what downside is there to shutting them off if you have no need for ventilation....like say the top is down? Is this some sort of safety procedure to keep air flowing thru the car in the unlikely event of an exhaust leak into the cabin? Maybe another of the US requirements like the smog equipment?
FYI ....

Dumping the footwell blowers?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

My footwell blowers run on very low all the time... problem is the only time they increase in speed is after I turn the knob between the seats... while the electric motor runs that closes the exchanger vents the fans speed up, then stop as soon as the electric motor stops!
I will probably just install a three position switch so I can control them manually.

On another note I got great results by adjusting the wires that open the exchanger vents. these vents should be all the way closed when on defrost at the center knob. Mine were still open quite a bit. After adjusting the wires, the heat and defrost in the car actually worked quite well.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Update .....

I had the car in for a pre TurboPalooza track day inspection.

While the car was up in the air for wheel balancing I took the opportunity to sneak underneath and look at my "damper vents" coming off the heat exchangers just before the heat plumbing goes into the body.

I had turned the autoheat switch to defrost so the dampers should have been fully closed. They were not! Both were wide open. Ah ... some indication of my problem. I know that the footwell blowers will not come on if these dampers are open (to prevent a blast of cold air on startup) therefore my problem may not be an electrical circuit per-se.

In order to solve the problem, I must figure out why the damper vents are not closing.

Since I can hear the servo running when the switch is turned, I know the servo is good. I pulled the passenger seat and opened the access panel to the console to verify this was true ... it was. The servo was functioning as designed. But ... I could see that the rod operated by the servo had detached at the rear ball joint connection. Closer inspection revealed that the tiny clasp that locks the rod onto the ball had broken thus allowing the rod to slip off. It seems (after knowing the search string) this is a common failure.

.... Damper vents open ... no hot air to the temp sensor ... footwell blowers are not going to come on .... nope .. not gonna happen ...

So ..... new ball joint caps are on order. I will replace them, and then see if this solves the footwell blower issue.

Maybe a pictoral how-to for this repair is in order? We will see how my temperment is when I start the replacement.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 06-09-2009 at 12:22 PM..
Old 06-09-2009, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Did you ever get this sorted out? I found this link that I thought was helpful.

http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/911autoheat.htm

Last edited by willtel; 08-12-2009 at 11:36 AM..
Old 08-12-2009, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I know this thread is old but does anyone have a picture of the footwell blowers and how to access them? I have a '79 so it might be somewhat different than the later models. I do have the automatic control between the seats and I get heat in both footwells but the drivers side air flow is much greater than the passenger so I would like to check the blower on that side.

I adjusted the fresh air control to close off the fresh air on the passenger side better since there was a lot of cold air coming in there.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Have not got the footwell blowers going yet. Summer came and I put it off since it needs to be cold enough for the autoheat sensors to work (and diagnose).

I did get the servo ball joint caps replaced and I am getting heat into the cabin. Enough to melt your skin when in the 8 - 10 positions. But I am a perfectionist and will get back into this project before much longer.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

hi i have and 86 930 i just fixed my footwell blowers a micro switch on the autoheat unit was bad went to raido shack and 1.85 later i have heat
Old 11-21-2009, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Pictures or additional info please!
Old 11-21-2009, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

inside the auto heat controller there are two micro switch's on the right side the on the outermost is the one jump the wires and you can see if it is bad
Old 11-21-2009, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

A straight jump? What other conditions have to be in place for the jump test to be valid? For example ... heater switch on and in position x ... and so on.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Can you circle the micro switch for me please?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2009, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

hi its the one on the outside there are two side by side red wire heater must be on
Old 11-22-2009, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by forwheeler View Post
I know this thread is old but does anyone have a picture of the footwell blowers and how to access them? I have a '79 so it might be somewhat different than the later models. I do have the automatic control between the seats and I get heat in both footwells but the drivers side air flow is much greater than the passenger so I would like to check the blower on that side.

I adjusted the fresh air control to close off the fresh air on the passenger side better since there was a lot of cold air coming in there.
My 79 dosn't have footwell blowers.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Incredibly complex piece of s_ _t engineering, with too may gizzmo parts to go wrong. This issue with my car will sit on the back burner as another winter project.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Couldn't agree with you more... the one in my car works because previous owner replaced it with a new one. When i lifted it up and looked inside I couldn't believe all the crap in there.
I'd rather have the lever you pull up for heat, a fan speed switch on the dash where the auto heat air intake vent is and hand throttle for cold starts like the older cars.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorracer View Post
hi its the one on the outside there are two side by side red wire heater must be on
Thanks. I thought that was the area in question. My understanding is that I can open this baby up again, oull one swithc and take it to Radio Shack for an exact replacement?

I plan on doing that. Any advantage to replacing the other micro-switch 'while I am in there'? any idea what function it performs?
Old 11-22-2009, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

If you have a real electronics supply store in your area go there first and forget about the limited selection of consumer grade crap radio shack carries.

Around here the professional electronics stores have gone out of business though so radio shack may be the only walk in option.

I've always been able to find quality electrical parts here:
Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor
Old 11-22-2009, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: