Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Front Wheel Bearing Replacing Instructions

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there's any literature on replacing the front wheel bearings, my searches only come up with results on the issue of getting the recessed cap off. I would like to know the process, greasing them with how much grease, do I need to heat the hub to fit new ones, is there some way to make sure they're in there straight etc. I just want to make sure I do it the correct way (my brakes are turbo rotors and calipers). I guess I need a manual, does the Bentley cover turbo brakes?

cheers and thanks in advance

Spence
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 05-07-2009, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

If it doesn't, it would be about the same.

The big question for me has been tighting the spindle nut. How do you tighten it to a certain ft/lb?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'd image you'd put it all back together, get someone to apply the brakes and you then tighten it to the desired torque? Never had to do them on the 911 and know from other cars you have to get them spot on for many reasons.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 05-07-2009, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Changing the fronts is pretty much the same as any other car. Just the spindle nut is different or unique.
The spindle nut only goes on barly even snug or the bearings will be too tight.
There is a thrust washer under the nut that presses against the inner bearing race.
You tighten the locking nut only tight enough to where you can still slide the thrust washer back and forth a little under the nut with some resistance.
Use a screw driver like a lever to move the thrust washer.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

When I replaced my fronts, pack the bearings, pack the inside of the hubs.
Tighten the spindle nut until the pucker moment arises, then spin the wheel a few times.

Back the spindle nut off and then hand tighten.

Replacing the bearing races, I placed them in the fridge overnight, then heated the hubs and
tapped them in easily after wards using a large socket and dead blow hammer.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I did mine. not too tough. Only thing is you need a press to remove/install both races. If you use a drift and just knock them out you likely will damage the hubs even with heat. They are expensive, and if you mess up the tolerances inside with a drift you will likely need to replace the bearings again twice as fast. I took mine to a machine shop and they punched them out with a press. As far as tightening them, yes they got to be dead nuts on. If you use the procedure in the workshop manual it will likely end up having some play and you will have to go in again. What I did was turn the nut with the rotor until it is hand tight. then give it about another eighth of a turn. The important thing is to not overtighten them and burn the bearing. As far as grease, I put mine in a baggy and worked it in. as far as the cap, you don't need to get crazy with grease, or it will wind up all over your rotor if you aren't careful. Have fun! Not a bad job, just consider yourself lucky it isn't the rear bearings.

Eric

81 911SC Coupe Guards Red, Stock. "Zippy"
Old 05-07-2009, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: