Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Looks really good.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Very close to install-

Top two shots show final manifolding. Compressor discharge has blow-off/recycle valve, W/G port, water injection nozzle and 7TH fuel injector. Red is VHT wrinkle finish, camera catches it like dayglo. Car will probably end up in Texas so it retains one heat exchanger.

Engine compartment: right side Snow Performance water/alcohol reservoir and high pressure pump. Left side on fuse panel cover is W/G adjuster bleed valve, top rear is Snow W/A injection controller and below it the Miller-Woods fuel injector controller.

Manifold pressure, supplemental fuel injection, water/alcohol injection and recycle valve are all adjustable.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
WoW! Nice!
Old 07-03-2009, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
That is awesome! Can't wait to see it installed and hear it run!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Time for a project update and a picture.

First attempt to fire was late Thursday, no joy. Returning to the shop Friday, a quick round of basics and found a broken wire leading to the CD box. Power restored and the engine lights.

I take a quick spin within the neighborhood to see if itís too noisy with only a straight pipe. Sound was good and some whine coming off throttle but itís too noisy between the buildings. Back to the shop.

Knowing it only needs a touch of noise reduction I set to fabricating a complete exhaust using the glass pack shown. Final product, the system LOOKs great, however on fire up itís noisier than a straight pipe! To make matters worse on acceleration it sounds like one giant GOAT FART. Worse than any homegrown tuner sponsored by Wall-Mart Automotive.

Assuming it will fit, tomorrow Iíll cut off everything and try out a Warlock muffler.

Iím dying to get this out on the street and begin dialing in the turbo systems.

Anyone need a slightly used glass pack?

Old 07-12-2009, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I know what the problem is Marty. I built a similar system for a 930 powered RSR replica and the sound was horrific. The problem is the tailpipe difuser. Don't know why but they do very bad things to turbo sound. Remove the diffuser and see how you like it.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Will remove and try it out first thing this morning.
Right after I fired this up the thought came to me I should have asked you before doing a complete system.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Looks Great Marty!

Hopefully one of these days soon I will start down the road to a turbo project. I really like the clean install of the H20/MeOH system.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 07-13-2009, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
OK - itís roadworthy again.

I finally solved the noisy exhaust issue. The fix was a real muffler.

Here was the progression. At Brianís suggestion I removed the diffuser Ė no change. Next I removed the glass-pack Ė no change. For some reason this combination of parts had a very pronounced raspyness at mid rpm.

The muffler I installed is a modified Warlock. This three pass high performance muffler did the trick. Now I have a system that allows me to get into the power without drawing unwanted attention.

This shot shows the final system. The muffler is really not as large as the picture makes it look however I will need to modify the center body panel slightly to accommodate it.

The final shot is the engine as it looked before I started the performance upgrade.

More on the response as I get her out on the street.

Last edited by copbait73; 11-24-2009 at 05:41 PM..
Old 07-13-2009, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Isn't it preferable to have O2 sensor right after the turbo instead of so far downstream?

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 07-13-2009, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnovak View Post
Looks Great Marty!

Hopefully one of these days soon I will start down the road to a turbo project. I really like the clean install of the H20/MeOH system.
One way or another this car will get to the longhood Texas Hill Country Rally so you can see it in action.

Give me a call about that hardware Brian passed along. It's bulk is somewhat intimidating but that can be reduced.

Last edited by copbait73; 07-13-2009 at 05:54 PM..
Old 07-13-2009, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
Isn't it preferable to have O2 sensor right after the turbo instead of so far downstream?
Possibly, however there is no way to install it closer except inverted and that is not good either.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
Innovate tech guy told me that it is worse to get it close to the exhaust side of the turbo than far down the the muffler outlet he also recommended a 1 inch bung to keep the sensor up out of the main flow if the turbo starts blowing oil and heat wrap around the sensor to cut down on the high temps from the turbo. Your build looks really good congrats.

76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 07-13-2009, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
For some reason this combination of parts had a very pronounced raspyness at mid rpm.
Interesting. Maybe it was choked up a bit at some point. The Warlock looks to have a lot of volume based on the turbo outlet size.
Just for the sake of data, can you clamp that difuser on your Warlock and fire it up?
Old 07-13-2009, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Interesting. Maybe it was choked up a bit at some point. The Warlock looks to have a lot of volume based on the turbo outlet size.
Just for the sake of data, can you clamp that difuser on your Warlock and fire it up?
Brian -

Yes, but it's a weld on so that will be sometime down the road.

I just got back from inital shakedown. Boost is set at 5 psi. The CIS was rich before but looking good now at 12.5-13. Cruise A/F is improved also.

At this mild boost it pulls strong from 3K up, like a strong factory setting. 5psi is there just over 3K.

After I'm sure everything is right I'll begin working the boost, fuel and W/A up.

Even at this mild boost it's worth the effort.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
Brian -

Yes, but it's a weld on so that will be sometime down the road.

I just got back from inital shakedown. Boost is set at 5 psi. The CIS was rich before but looking good now at 12.5-13. Cruise A/F is improved also.

At this mild boost it pulls strong from 3K up, like a strong factory setting. 5psi is there just over 3K.

After I'm sure everything is right I'll begin working the boost, fuel and W/A up.

Even at this mild boost it's worth the effort.
Bravo!! Its amazing what even 5 psi boost does for the overall excitment of driving the car well done!
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 07-14-2009, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Update, I love this engine.

Strong from 3K RPM (I never drive a 911 at less rpm) to 6K. Great match for the early chassis having 915 trans with 7:31 R/P.

I moved the boost from 5PSI to 8. Engine was tolerant except when heat soaked and with oil temps stabilized at 200. At these conditions it can knock WOT 5.5RPM plus.

Turned on the water injection and power increased but knock was still present. Tried additional W/A but this additional cooling (more airflow) has driven the F/A out of bounds at 13:1 plus.

For now boost is pulled back to 6PSI with W/A, there is no knock in any condition. Power is strong over baseline 5PSI without W/A.

Next step, Fueler needs modification. I found the factory setting triggers at 14PSI (for 930 TURBO) and will not adjust down. It’s out to a EE techie friend to be modified.

Keep in mind this engine does not have a modified distributor so the advance is excessive for a turbo motor and probably needs some limiting. This initial set-up has the WUR and distributor boost protected with a check valve.

Only one disapointment, KKK have the unbalance so low and the muffler is so effective there is ZERO turbo whine. That sucks!

Last edited by copbait73; 07-25-2009 at 03:53 AM..
Old 07-24-2009, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
A suggestion that i used on my 3.0 SC non intercooled engine running 8lbs. MSD BTM boost retard ignition, and i used a cold start valve from a 3.0 SC plumbed into the intake pipe about 6" from the throttle body for a fueler that was fired by a pressure switch set at 4lbs.

I still use the fueler on my new 930 setup except it fires from a MSD RPM switch at 6,000 rpm.

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 07-24-2009, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamchappy View Post
A suggestion that i used on my 3.0 SC non intercooled engine running 8lbs. MSD BTM boost retard ignition, and i used a cold start valve from a 3.0 SC plumbed into the intake pipe about 6" from the throttle body for a fueler that was fired by a pressure switch set at 4lbs.

I still use the fueler on my new 930 setup except it fires from a MSD RPM switch at 6,000 rpm.
Thanks for the reminder on the MSD BTM and fuel injector.

This project has a budget so for now I'm looking for a Sun distributor machine to rework the advance (old school from the turbo VW days of the early 70s). Besides there are stilll thousands of N.A. Porsches and air-cooled VWs out there needing this type of work.

If the Fueler is not repairable I have a TURBO WUR to try, then if all else doesn't work I'll trip a start injector.

I like W/A injection (chemical) because it goes to the core of air-cooled engine weakness and that is CHTs. More eligant than the raw fuel that they all need for cooling.

This car may not stay with me so that is a big consideration in systems selection.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

wow, Nice!!!
I am thinking of doing the same thing and would love to know what exactly it took to get that turbo on and running.

Did you just hook up the boost to the air box and let it do the work, or did you have to toy with the CSI?

I have a turbo, the means to make header/manifold tubing, and a perfectly good 2.4cis engine..

-1972 Porsche 914 1.7L.
-1970 Porsche 914/6 (2.8 RSR)
Old 10-29-2009, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: