Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Twins are more fun!

Rear bumper upgrade?

As a result of my TT's undoubtedly generating more heat, I'm looking for an aftermarket bumper solution that will vent the hot air out.

What do you guys think of this rear bumper to replace the OEM bulky impact style bumper?

I guess Porsche (even RUF) has been using this style of bumper in their 996TT/997TT's to vent out the hot air from the TT's?

Even the earlier CTR had vents along the rear bumper.

(3.3, Protomotive MAP ECU, EFI, GT2 EVO CAMs, Twin Plugged, Twin Turbo's)
Old 06-09-2009, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

James,

Interesting concept and I have had the same Idea for 11 years. I found this 11 years ago this comming Sunday at Stoddard's Swap Meet. Bought it for the "Old Sled" and will be , finally, installing it soon. My buddy and I made a mold way back then and thought we might make some one day. If anyone has interest we might go dig out the mold.
By the way "Love Your Car"

Cole

The picture sucks but If there is any interest I'll dig it out for better photos.

Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 06-09-2009 at 01:57 PM..
Old 06-09-2009, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Thanks, Cole. BTW, that's not my car. It's a sample picture on the Better Bodies Motorsport site.

Just something I'm considering to vent out the exhaust heat generating by the TT setup.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I absolutely love the looks of that...and hate my rubber baby buggy bumpers.

I've been toying with the idea of taking off the rubbers and risking an unwanted mistake....maybe fill in the gaps with a continuation of the rubber strip all the way across, but it would probably look like someone's crappy ill-attempt at "customizing" so haven't yet decided.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
I absolutely love the looks of that...and hate my rubber baby buggy bumpers.

I've been toying with the idea of taking off the rubbers and risking an unwanted mistake....maybe fill in the gaps with a continuation of the rubber strip all the way across, but it would probably look like someone's crappy ill-attempt at "customizing" so haven't yet decided.
The rubber impact style bumpers are also quite heavy... I want something lighter, with a smoother, more modern appearance, but also has to be functional.

I'm considering those bumpers, with a GT2 one-piece tail for maximum airflow and venting.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I removed the bumperettes and rubber strips. Filled all the holes in and repainted it. Light than before but not as light as FG. On the other hand, it provides more protection.

I've thought about drilling holes in the back at the turbo to help vent heat. The valence has been removed as well.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
I removed the bumperettes and rubber strips. Filled all the holes in and repainted it. Light than before but not as light as FG. On the other hand, it provides more protection.

I've thought about drilling holes in the back at the turbo to help vent heat. The valence has been removed as well.
Got any photos ?

I'm also looking into a solution for this, I like the RUF rear bumper minus the price who makes them aftermarket ? while we are on the subject
Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Juan, try:

http://www.betterbodiesmotorsport.com/interiors/rbumpers1/bbrs.html

or:

http://www.rennspd.com/P_Detail.asp?PID=422&Task=STD

These are much cheaper than OEM RUF bumpers, which are over $2k

Old 06-09-2009, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks ! I believe there's one more style of the rear RUF bumper ?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

No pics since my hard drive took a dump. Lost it all...

If you look at "SHOCKM" 's car on Rennlist, it looks like that. The rear bumper is held on by carriage bolts. Another way is to weld threaded aluminum studs on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan ruiz View Post
Got any photos ?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Renn Who............. I will take a look

Thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I was thinking about that when I typed it...

Quote:
Renn Who............. I will take a look

Thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
found it but all the pictures have a RED X
Old 06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

This is for the narrow body 911 - http://www.rennspd.com/P_Detail.asp?PID=421&Task=STD

Old 06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hate the big rubber overrides but love the stock bumper.

Stole this thinking it might give you some ideas:

Love this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
And this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by si Banker View Post
Old 06-09-2009, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
JMA-RUF

Great now I have this on my mind

Keep them coming !, what about some economical solutions
Old 06-09-2009, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Here is another idea.

Note the vents in the top of the front bumper. This could be a way to stay a little more stealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cab View Post
Old 06-09-2009, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Quote:
what about some economical solutions
Economical solution huh? For ZERO COST, how about NO bumpers at all? It'll show off that massive snail you have strapped onto the motor

Old 06-09-2009, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Saved this photo a while back of the RUF bumper I want to get...Maybe this Winter!
Sorry no rear shots though it's pretty plain cept for the slots even along the built in valence.

Wadda you think of this one JMA-RUF?

Old 06-09-2009, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
THATS THE ONE !!!! Who sells that one ?

If you only knew how much I had to cut back there I don't mean free but some of you guys are economical gurus so maybe some will share
Old 06-09-2009, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: