Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoke View Post
Jacob,

Thanks for the offer. I think I would like to take you up on it sometime. Being a high altitude car, would it have been set up to run lean or rich?
Given that the air is less dense at high altitude, the fuel delivery might have been leaned out to keep AFRs optimal. You'd want to richen it back up.

Regarding your stone chips...that's common. My front bumper looks like that too on my '79. Pretty sure my windshield was original too, and had lots of road rash. I replaced it and visibility is muuuuuch better, especially at night. These cars are low to the ground, so forward facing surfaces tend to get sandblasted.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

It seems like the back of the car floats a bit. Could it be that the rear shocks are worn? What would be a good shock to replace with for just street driving? I don't plan on tracking this car.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

So today driving home I hear a rolling noise from the passenger rear wheel. This is what I found so far. The hard line is almost kinked. How could this happen?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Nice 86 - Welcome

I like the gold wheels too. Here's mine w/ 8's & 12s...

Old 01-12-2010, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

So I found these 2 pieces in the brake drum. The bottom brake pad lining has rusted off. Also the little spring part is supposed to be holding the top brake lining in place. The hardware to hold the brake lining in place is gone. You can see a worn area on the inside of the brake drum where the top lining has been rubbing and likely making all the noise.

What is left of the bottom brake lining.

I need to get a new brake lining retainer and spring. Can I find these things at the Porsche dealer? I fashioned a nail to hold the lining in place for now

Last edited by spoke; 01-12-2010 at 07:10 PM..
Old 01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
1st off, welcome to the club, you've hooked up with the right guys, this site is an invaluable source of info. You can order most of the parts from the dealer, but why when you can get most of the parts from our host, great guys to talk to, and supporting them helps support these boards.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to onsse
and Dealers are way pricey.. well at least for me :-). congrats on the car..
84 Euro (sold)
Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Yep, just replacing my front windshield on an 87 to help with visibility and roadrash. Very common, I am almost surprised that yours made it this long without being repaced. 2nd the suggested update to the 993 window solution.
Be warned, you WILL start modding soon. This board doesn't help. Your friends are all doing it and start saying hey, just try it once. Next thing you are addicted to modding and have dropped 20K in search for the perfect 600hp beast...
87 930 Super Cup (964) Cams , Andial K27 7200 Turbo, Andial Intercooler, Twin Plug, Andial Fuel Enrichment System, Carillo Rods, Mahle Pistons, Raceware head studs, Adjustable Turbo, Ruf Wheels, plus much more...
Old 01-15-2010, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Well the parking brake shoes were not making noise on the passenger side. The noise is the wheel bearing going bad. I can feel it when I rotate the wheel by hand. How hard is it to replace the bearing?

I've replaced bearings in my 914. Can the bearing be replaced without removing the suspension? It can be replaced on the 914 w/o removing the suspension but it was a lot easier with the trailing arm off of the car. Can someone point me to a thread???
Old 01-16-2010, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Garage Queen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoke View Post

When I got the car the passenger door would not lock. I could hear the actuator working but the door would not lock. It was this way for about 3 weeks. Everywhere I went I locked the door (or so I thought) and left the car. I left it at the mall twice like this; one time my computer was in the car. Luckily nobody f-ed with it.

I Took the door apart to find the little plastic cup on the end of the actuator had cracked since the actuator pulled down a litte further than the travel of the lock. I was able to do a repair on the plastic cup with a paperclip and washer. It was a fix right out of the McGyver TV show. It held but I really would like to get a new one.

Question: Does Porsche still carry this part for an 86? Do they carry any parts for 86's?

This is very common. I think a good number of us have had to fix the lock. I got a replacement plastic cap from a dismantler. At the time PP didn't carry it. They may now.

As far as other parts are concerned, PP has the best prices most of the time. There are dismantler for some things and I have bought some things from the dealer (I got a replacement turn signal switch there way cheaper than anywhere else). Also, get in the habit of searching the classifieds here on PP. There are about 4 pages of new listings everyday. Sometimes you can find what you need there. Bottom line is there is no magic solution to finding parts. It is a search for somethings.

Beautiful Car. Welcome to the group.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
"Can someone point me to a thread???"
Here is a tech article for rear wheel bearings.
Changing 911 Rear Wheel Bearings
Hopefully this is what you want
2012 987 Cayman S Black Edition #110
1996 993tt Arena Red (Sold)
1996 993tt Black (Lost it in a bluff game)
1975 911 Hardtop Targa(sold)
1971 911T Coupe (Sold)
Old 01-16-2010, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

I just drove the car to get it inspected and I had to turn around because of the rear wheel bearing. I noticed the noise when I bought the car last year and it got progressively worse and today, the bearing was making huge noises and actually slowed the car down along with vibrations felt throughout the cabin.

280HP and I had to drive it at 20mph to nurse it home.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Pretty sure there are inner and outer w bearings on the back.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Started work to replace the rear bearing. First time I've used my impact wrench to remove the castellated nut. Piece of cake. The nut came off with little effort on my part.

Hub w/o castellated nut.

Well, the hard brake line was kinked so no big deal that the line was frozen to the fitting and the line twisted off.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quiz: Which rear caliper is from my 914 and which is from my 911 turbo?

(Hint: My 914 is RED)

How do I remove the clip holding the pads in? I can't figure how to remove it.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
By all means take the trailing arm off to do that job.. much easier (ask me how I know),, mark the spring plate so you can return it to the exact spot and you won't have to do an alignment afterwards
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 01-17-2010, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

get some channel locks and squeeze the springs they will come right out
Old 01-17-2010, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

oh and here's the link that will help you I wrote is some time ago after a painful rear wheel bearing job
what I learned about 930 rear wheel bearing replacement
Old 01-17-2010, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Great Car ! Glad your getting hands dirty that's alot of fun too.

I would agree with the fact the car maybe running lean at a lower altitude. Denver to sea level is a big drop. It may need more fuel. Don't run them lean.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 01-17-2010, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

The rear hub is out. I used a hub puller. The hub came out with about 5 slides. The inboard bearing doesn't have a bearing retainer. All the bearing are huddled at the bottom of the trailing arm as seen in the first pic.

It's hard to see but there is a gap of no bearings at the top.

The rear bearing stayed in the trailing arm. This is what came out. Time to clean everything up now.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: