Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
I believe there is still a bearing race in there my friend, that's the tough one to get out..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 01-22-2010, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

There's some wear damage on the lip where the seal rides. Do this look ok to use? There's about 1/8 inch of it is chewed up a bit.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

I'm trying to remove the rear swing arm but I can't figure out how to get a wrench on the nut in between the frame and the tranny.

Any suggestions? I can barely get my finger in there to touch where the nut is.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Thumbs up

Wow, that's nice!! (not the above post, the car in general)!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

OK, I finally got the inner swing arm mounting bolt off. I had to bend my wrench to reach around the swing arm mount to hold the nut steady.

Removed the inside race off the hub. I tried a bearing separator but it did absolutely nothing. I tried some heat on it but must not have had enough.

So I used my Dremel tool to slice the race and spread it out with a flat head screw driver and hammer.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Finally got the trailing arm off. I agree with everyone else on this: The trailing arm must come off. No way the work that I'm doing could be done on the car.

rollers are all there, just no cage to keep them in line.

Cleaned up the trailing arm in prep for removing the outer races. To get the trailing arm back on with the same alignment as before, I scored the arm along where the spring arm was mounted. You can barely see the scribe marks on the arm.

Last edited by spoke; 01-31-2010 at 06:13 AM..
Old 01-31-2010, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

I read all the write-ups about how to heat the trailing arm to get the outer races off.

I'm lazy and didn't feel like going through the heating cycle, so I used my Dremel tool to cut the race. One whack on with hammer and drift and its out.

Damage to the arm is minimal at best. Given that this is not a rotating mass or the slight grooves will not affect the strength at all, this damage is negligible.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Inboard outer race is off. It took a bit more Dremeling because of the slight angle of attack.

Again, damage to the trailing arm is negligible. Time invested: about 15 minutes. Now I'm ready for clean up and installation.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Cleaned everything up and prepared for installation. I froze the outer races in the freezer and heated the arm with a hair dryer.

Using the race driver, both outer races went on with no difficulties.

Not having any tools to properly mount the hub, I resorted to the "check it" method and had someone else put the hub on. It was the best $150 I've spent in a while. Dropped the arm off Wed morning and picked it up tonight all finished including a new brake line.

Mr. B's did the work. And as a bonus, I found out he works on Audi's as well and so my A4 will be going there soon for ABS issues.

The brake shield was stripped and painted before reassembly.

Status as of tonight. The arm is in and adjusted back to the original position using the scribe marks I made on the arm.

Tomorrow will be the ebrake, half shaft, rotor, caliper, and brake bleeding, and hopefully, the first spin in 3 weeks.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Woohoo! Finished the bearing replacement job and drove the car tonight. I only drove it to the end of the driveway and back because of the snow.

In retrospect, the job wasn't that difficult especially when I paid someone to press the hub. Removing the old races was a cinch with the dremel tool. No heat, each race took about 15 minutes to remove. One or 2 whacks with a screwdriver and the races were out.

The hardest part of the job for me was that this was my first time in there and I wasn't sure what I was doing. I spent a ton of time trying to remove the outboard inner race off the hub with a bearing splitter before using the dremel.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: