Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New Ride: 1986 911 turbo

I lost my job last year so to make myself feel better, I bought this 1986 turbo. It's got a black exterior and interior with BBS wheels. I picked it up off of this board. BTW, I did end up getting another job so my retirement only lasted 2 months.

1986 911 Turbo (930) for sale

The car was located in Denver. I had a buddy who lives there check it out and drive it for me. His one comment was that this car was a "rocketship". Once he gave a thumbs up, I flew out and bought it. I had it shipped back to PA as I had to fly out on some business in Asia. The shipper only took 3 days to get it to my door. I got back from China on Wed and the car arrived on Thurs.

It's got 115K miles and has Recaro seats. The interior is very clean and the body itself is in good shape. The passenger side rear fender has a kink in it because of a backing up bump from the PO. The worst part of the paint is a bunch of chips in the front bumper and hood, and the windshield has a lot of chips in nicks.

The engine runs real good but does seem to diesel after being run for a long period. The AC works good. The only thing not operational at this time is the rear window wiper.

I have some questions:
1) What is a good shop manual for the turbo?

2) I get about 14-17mpg. It doesnt' worry me about the mpg because the spg (Smiles per gallon) is off the chart. Does this mpg look in line?

3) The PO said the engine was set up for the high altitude of Denver. It now resides only a couple of hundred feet above sea level. Should I have it tuned for low atlitudes?

4) What type of exhaust is on the car? I was told it isn't stock.

5) How do I tell if the turbo has been replaced? What markings should I look for?

6) I like the BBS wheels but would rather have black fuchs. What are these BBS worth and what are the equivalent Fuchs worth? Anybody wanna trade?

Thanks,
Spoke

Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Congratulations, nice car! So you took one away from Denver eh? :|

Your exhaust looks stock, at least the muffler. Possibly there is a cat bypass. The cat sits between the turbo and the muffler and if you have a smooth tube there that means it's a bypass. This helps but you can get a nice power bump from replacing the muffler.

When you say dieseling do you mean when you shut the car off? There is a circuit that runs the last bit of fuel through the engine when you switch the ignition off so some run-on is normal.

I get about the same mileage but your WUR may be out of spec and allowing the car to run too rich. I have an adjustable WUR that I plan to install (search on that, and Brian Leask) that many have said can really help the car run better and with better mileage too.

RE: tuning, yes you should have your mixture/CO checked now that the car is no longer mile-high.

There isn't a really good aftermarket manual for the 930. Someone here had a line on the factory manuals, just a week or so ago, so do a search and I'm sure you'll find it. Many of the subsystems are shared or similar to the NA cars so you can pick up the 101 Projects book, the 911 Bentley manual, etc.

Hopefully someone else will answer re: the turbo markings. I did go with the K27S but traded away my stock turbo so don't know the diffs.

What size tires do you have (trying to gauge the size of your rims)?

Anyway, have fun and good luck w/ your new rocketship!

Past: '96 993, '98 986, '82 911, '99 986, '87 930, '86 951, '85 911 GTS3 race car
Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the family! Let the modding begin.
14 535i M Sport
Old 06-12-2009, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Welcome to the club - photos make a world of difference, the purchase pics were pretty poor - but the ones posted above really show what you got a really good example.

Glad to see another driver around and not a polisher, enjoy our little group!
Old 06-12-2009, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Congrats you got a good deal on that car.

The best shop manual for these cars is this forum.

I am not a Fuchs fan, but to each their own...I think those BBS are way way nicer especially on a Black car, great color offset. The BBS are worth about $1500 with good tires easily.

That muffler looks bone stock like Troy mentioned and check out the cat delete as he mentioned.

Here is the stock cat and muffler from my hunk o' crap:

My car never diesels once switched off, does yours Troy? Scratching my head.

You need an AFR guage or something along the lines of an Innovate LM1 to check and see what you are fuel and air ratios are. When I brought my car from seal level (San Diego) to Colorado, I did the reverse of what you are wishing to do:

Stock Turbo is this on left (3LDZ):

Stock turbo on right:

Stock turbo left, sharpy numbers are the width of the housings:

My car gets about 16-18mp/g as well, typical for these.

Hope that helps.
Yasin
Old 06-12-2009, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
beancounter

Welcome! You've bought yourself a nice ride there.

You're not too far away from me. I sometimes find my way out your direction in search of fun roads, and my folks have a place in Warren county NJ, just across the river. I've got the CIS pressure gauges and a few other tools for keeping my '79 purring. If you find yourself in need of a hand, look me up.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Turbo Hooligan

14 - 17 is great...I get between 3 - 7.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 06-12-2009, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
Nice, that car wasn't far from me at all.

Enjoy it.

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Spoke-

Welcome and congrats! Beaut of a car! Neat on the Recaro C's.

I hear you on liking the Fuchs, but I agree w/ others them gold BBS's against the black look fantastic - very period correct. Or if the gold's too much, maybe have them redone silver. My bud's got an '86 like 'that' and it looks *stellar*.

Sport some H4's and amber rear indicators and giggle all the way home. Enjoy the doors off it! Careful of the Slippery Slope (look AWAY from the light!!!) heh heh heh.

Yasin, didn't know you had the supple interior - don't see that too often.

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-12-2009, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
My car never diesels once switched off, does yours Troy? Scratching my head.
Just once has mine dieseled, and I think it was because of spending too much time at idle in the shop whilst I tuned the beast. Engine got too hot, and running with NGK 7 series plugs which probably turned into glow-plugs. She dieseled for probably 5 seconds before I said "enough" and dumped the clutch to stall her. Had a serious mis-fire after that (damn near fouled a brand new plug), but cleared up after a drive.
Anyway, amazing how long a car can diesel with the fuel pumps are no longer delivering any fuel.
Off-topic....so sorry! Spoke - nice ride man! Get your AFR's or at least the idle CO down to sea level and your performance, engine oil, and gas mileage will thank you.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 06-12-2009 at 12:58 PM..
Old 06-12-2009, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

Another 86 finds its way home!!!Welcome , And by the way I had just lost my job at the same time I bought mine. Its a good pick me up.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkracer21j View Post
14 - 17 is great...I get between 3 - 7.
Me too! Whats up with that. I would love to get over 10mpg.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Congrats on a nice looking car and new job.
Muffler looks stock from what can be seen. We can fix that.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The interior is in excellent shape. The dash shows a little bit of sun damage but it's not cracked.

The Recaro seats are huge and very comfortable. They are so big that I can barely get my had between them to adjust the heater control.

When I got the car the passenger door would not lock. I could hear the actuator working but the door would not lock. It was this way for about 3 weeks. Everywhere I went I locked the door (or so I thought) and left the car. I left it at the mall twice like this; one time my computer was in the car. Luckily nobody f-ed with it.

I Took the door apart to find the little plastic cup on the end of the actuator had cracked since the actuator pulled down a litte further than the travel of the lock. I was able to do a repair on the plastic cup with a paperclip and washer. It was a fix right out of the McGyver TV show. It held but I really would like to get a new one.

Question: Does Porsche still carry this part for an 86? Do they carry any parts for 86's?

Last edited by spoke; 06-14-2009 at 12:24 AM..
Old 06-14-2009, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Here's the money shot. I think everything in the engine compartment is stock.

Question: The airbox inlet can be seen right behind the AC pump. If it's raining, there doesn't seem to be any way that water is prevented from entering the airbox. Should there be a snorkel on the airbox? I can see right in the airbox and touch the air cleaner.

Here is the worst part of the paint. Where ever the car was it got hit with a lot of stones. The entire front end, headlights & surrounds, front hood, mirrors, fender flares, and windshield are deeply pitted. The windshield is real bad; I think I would like to replace the windshield at some time.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
Welcome! You've bought yourself a nice ride there.

You're not too far away from me. I sometimes find my way out your direction in search of fun roads, and my folks have a place in Warren county NJ, just across the river. I've got the CIS pressure gauges and a few other tools for keeping my '79 purring. If you find yourself in need of a hand, look me up.
Jacob,

Thanks for the offer. I think I would like to take you up on it sometime. Being a high altitude car, would it have been set up to run lean or rich?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Question about engine temps:

When I first got the car in April, the engine temps stayed pretty much just below the first white tick mark. Now as it has gotten hotter outside, I notice (especially when idling in town and driving slow), the temp creeps up to between the 2 white tick marks.

The manual doesn't say much about where a safe temperature is. What should I expect the temps to do? Is it normal to hover between the 2 white tick marks?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

If you replace the windshield, go for the 993 unit, more elegant solution for the window seal.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

The 9 o'clock position on the gauge is 212* F. That's good because it will help to burn off any condesation in the oil.

Quote:
Question about engine temps:
When I first got the car in April, the engine temps stayed pretty much just below the first white tick mark. Now as it has gotten hotter outside, I notice (especially when idling in town and driving slow), the temp creeps up to between the 2 white tick marks.
The manual doesn't say much about where a safe temperature is. What should I expect the temps to do?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

BTW. Beautiful car. I really like the wheels and seats. Looks like really period correct car.

On the air cleaner housing, that's a factory set up. Nothing needs to be added.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: