Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
R.I.P.

ok, screw ebay. I found 2 reasonably priced stock coolers right here on the pelican. I've got a temp differential gauge I plan to hook up to my car to test the temp drop of the stock cooler vs. the stacked coolers. I'm betting a significant temp drop but mostly a flow increase (which will be harder to measure). Since they are so easy to remove i'll most likely do back to back tests on the drag strip to see what improvements it makes.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Here are the results of mine. Feels pretty good on the butt dyno and the wallet isn't too thin after the fact. Besides, I didn't want to spoil this brand new factory 930S intercooler I have on my shelf. It sort of looks factory or at least like something the factory would have done at the time. I'm happy.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Infidel

I wouldn't be surprised if that performed better than most of the aftermarket ones of the same size! Porsche will have used good quality cores!
It would be really cool if someone had one of each to hand, a stock one, Garretson/Andial, Kokeln, B6 and one of these double up jobbies. And was able to test each one on the same day and log pre and post air temps along with acceleration figures up to 150mph or so.
It'll never happen but it would be really good info...
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

At least with this method using original intercoolers, fitment issues should not be a problem,,the intercooler has to be removed to complete most tasks and removing/fitting some aftermarket ones can be a right pain in the a**
"92" 964 turbo,Modified and recently rebuilt using all ARP hardware..
Purpose built fuel controller set up to acheive perfect fuel curve on CIS inj.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

This doubles the flow capacity of the inter-cooler so there should be less pressure drop at higher flows.

The air flow will move through it twice as slow so it will have not only more surface area but will spend more time in the core being cooled.

Not sure how efficient the bottom core will be as the air passing the top core will be pre- heated.

This dose not update the BOV style.

Still, I kind of like it.

Why not must weld in aftermarket 4.5 or 6" core in place of the stock core? I would start by welding a brace between the two tanks before I cut out the stock core so they do not move relative to each other. Then after the new core is tacked in place, cut off the brace.

Here is a source: http://www.bellintercoolers.com/pages/AAMain.html

Last edited by 911st; 12-07-2009 at 09:11 AM..
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
R.I.P.

here's mine in progress

and for some reason i can't find any completed pics... guess i'll take some tomorrow
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Wow those cores look restrictive!

Doubling up should help it breath better if nothing else.

Migh be better to just add in a totally new & larger replacement core for about $300. I bet Bell IC might even be able to do it turn key? Someone should look into it as a program. (Brian?)
Old 12-08-2009, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
This has been on my product list for a couple of years. I sent a stock intercooler in for prototyping some months ago but we just have not gotten to it. The plan is to copy the old B&B that I have on my car. It fits perfectly and works adequately. We will look into different cores and choose one that works well without breaking the bank.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I can see the outer welding seal seam betweent the two cores; but how do you connect them internally to allow the air to flow through both cores?
Old 12-09-2009, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
R.I.P.

you just weld the cores together before enclosing the end tanks. The welds along the side are just for added strength.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Might want to pressure test the IC when done.

I had a muffler welded once. When I put a shop vac on it to pressurize it I was surprised with the number of holes I found in the welds.

An advantage of replacing the stock core w a larger aftermarket core is it would not have the potental for a leak where the two cores come together and are not accessible after the ends are boxed in.

Just a thought.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

How thick is a stock IC core?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmatera View Post
you just weld the cores together before enclosing the end tanks. The welds along the side are just for added strength.
Again, how do you get the "hot" compressed air from the turbo to go through both cores? unless there is some cuts/ducting/flanges to connect both cores internals, the compressed air will flow through the bottom core only. Sometimes I'm very slow...
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
R.I.P.

the stock core is 2.50" thick.

Not sure i'm following your question. The cores share end tanks, so the air flows thru both.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
I've said it before I like this idea. It has high value return.

Regarding pin holes on this fabrication, or any expensive aftermarket product, unless they are noticeable to the CIS at idle condition they are insignificant to system performance while under boost. EFI systems have no problem here and can tolerate pin holes.

Most air/air charge are cooler manufacturers allow small leakage unless the customer specifies zero leak. The zero leak spec is not for performance, but to prevent end user complaints for oil leakage.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Well, the thing is working good. I didn't put it on a dyno, cause, really, I no longer give a crap about this sort of thing. Feels better than what it replaced, fine for me. As for some more efficient core, again, I could care less. That was never the ethos of this project for me. I had enough funds for the best intercooler but didn't want it. My idea was the original R Gruppe ideology of sticking to the greatest number of factory parts possible and something within the same era of technology. This was the perfect match for me. Looks almost factory, uses all factory parts, the easiest to put on or remove and for a reasonable cost. Chasing the last bit of hp through Bell or otherwise never interested me. I'm satisfied and will do the same thing over and over again.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Ed,

Your 930 lt wt is one of my fav's.

Any chance you could post a picture of the 930S intercooler. I have never seen one.

Our new IC looks great.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmatera View Post
i'm on ebay right now looking for a stock cooler
I have a stock one I was going to try and install on my 77". If intersted let me know.

Jay
Old 12-10-2009, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

R.I.P.

Thanks, but i've already bought 2 and had them welded together and installed on the car..
Old 12-10-2009, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bighi View Post

Guys - does anyone know what the connection that isn't the AAR off this intercooler is? (The one Ed has plugged?) On my '87 I also had 2 connections one of them seems to be running my VDO telltale gauge (though a checkvalve) but I'm curious if anyone in here knows.

I posted a thread asking if anyone knew but I was told the line I had running to that port wasn't stock (which I think is correct) however I'd still like to figure out what it was designed for in the first place

Charlie
Old 12-11-2009, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: