Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Regarding the front fiberglass panel and headlight motor. It's a tight shot but the panel and motor look to be the same as my '88 factory slant. The rockers look boxed to me though it is a bad angle. Clean that puppy up and take some good pics!
'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 07-03-2009, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
DP935 member

group911, that cooler looks like the one that came on my DP935.

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 07-03-2009, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Well I compared the intercooler to a stck one and it is different for sure. The core is deeper and the outlet is different as well. Got the car up on the hoist and that front oil cooler is huge...Wow. Turbo also appears larger.

I can tell you this is not the car for me. I will be selling it. Too much of a perfectionist I just want to have enerything perfect but have no time...

So if anyone wants a rare 930 this one is available.

Rob
Old 07-03-2009, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yipekiya View Post
Well I compared the intercooler to a stck one and it is different for sure. The core is deeper and the outlet is different as well. Got the car up on the hoist and that front oil cooler is huge...Wow. Turbo also appears larger.

I can tell you this is not the car for me. I will be selling it. Too much of a perfectionist I just want to have enerything perfect but have no time...

Rob
Ok, now I'm confused. Didn't you just get it?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 07-03-2009, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I did, I picked it up on Wednesday.

I have an 06 Boxster S, 91 928 and now the 930.

I bought it for the rareity site unseen, after driving home 13 hours and commuting for a few days I know it is not for me. The car is very cool I just am not in love with it. The only thing I can fault it for is oil leaks....

Anyway if anyone is interested let me know. It is legally imported into Canada with the tax paid. Kind of a shame to go back but it can go back to the US no problem.

Could be buyers remorse OCD or some kind of mental problem too.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRE Cup View Post
there are always "exceptions to every rule" as we have seen licensed row cars w/o a darn thing done to them during what i would call the draconian years of epa/dot.

Amerispec was considered the standard , as he worked real hard to make sure the cars met the rules. It did not cost that much to get the cars legal, otherwise the business would not have been so sucessful. Some cars, as you said, would be over the top since there was no equivalent usa version and/or were so dirty (like your RS)

BUT authorized Porsche dealers would not jeopardize their business on doing their own back door imports of a non compliant car; that would have spelled the end of their dealership agreement

I remember Amerispec well. They would do all the work and bring the cars down to the compliance center here in NJ. I knew the flatbed driver that would bring the cars down for inspection and release. They had a series of 6 288GTO's they did at one time and were lined up for the cover of Cavalino magazine about 1985.
They did more Ferrari work than anything. There were some real chop shops out there especially in Long Island. I saw some really shady looking cars being sold over there as original with exhaust and oil lines painted the color of the car although there were some very nice cars to be had if you searched enough. For the nicer cars itw as worth doing but most Porsche's were not worth enough $$ to make it worth while. I paid $7k for my RS clone in 1984 exchange rate was 4.5 Marks to 1$ which was about the peak. I had to pay roughly $500 to ship it over and another $3k to have it made DOT compliant. IIRC to do the EPA modifications would have cost over $10k which IMO was not worth going through the hassle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Anthony,
My factory slant was imported into the US in '85 by an importer called, Exoticar Inc. (Gary Gnazzo). Port of Entry was Jersey. Heard of them?
Yes I do remember them I was talking to his brother a while back at a PCA event was surprised he recognized me after all these years. I purchased parts from him back when i was restoring my 914. They are long since gone AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Ductwork? The RSR cooler is mounted to the front bumper with about 1/2" of space between the rear of the cooler and the bulkhead.

I had this same unit in my RS clone although the front end was totally customized. The bulkhead was removed and all new plates were welded in place to create air flow over the unit. It was great on hot days while moving but did very little if sitting in stagnant traffic.

I unfortunately never took pictures of it apart but it used the IROC front bumper to make it work. Both the hoses came off the right side and were routed into the car up front and back out again in the wheel well. Apparently this was done on the IROC cars and I had seen a real one with the same configuration. Although I don't think it would have met DOT requirements and was never checked.

Last edited by Cobalt; 07-06-2009 at 06:48 AM..
Old 07-06-2009, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Well guy's,
Mine was brought into the US thru New Jersey or Texas & federalized at some place called J***'s Conversions. Actual complete name withheld out of respect.

They did all the needed visual stuff like fake holes drilled & plugged into the doors, to imply that door side impact supports had been installed, mock O2 senser welded onto(not into) the euro exhaust, card board box with a wiring harness coming out of it, under the drivers seat. 2 extra hoses in the engine compartment coming from where the smog pump would have been(if there had actually been one there, which there wasn't).

Who knows what else was done, but this is the stuff that was still there when I bought the car.

The long & short of it was, that nothing was actually done to my car to change it from Euro, I'm guessing greased palms got mine into the US. Wink,wink, nod, nod, say no more, say no more.

So some were done by the book, some were done by butchers, some were done......well other ways!

Mark
Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Funny you mentioning some of the "mods" mike

Basically when the car came in, you posted a bond and signed a letter that you would bring the car in compliance. Then you took the car home, or to a shop to convert it
You could not register the car legally without releases from the DOT and EPA. so the preponderance of plastic dealer marketing plates on these cars along with local state dmv plates was the sure fire way to know the car driving ahead of you was grey market.

The temptation of extra $ and fraud with regards to a) ever testing it all- taking the risk of being pulled over before you sold it, skipped, and let the new buyer have all the fun with the feds b) non compliance , but it sure looked like it on papers that were filed c) compliance, papers filed, then the parts bad for performance "fell off" (usually saved for a rainy day if a knock came at the door) d) compliance , papers filed, and car running poorly < Ever seen a Countach with dual bmw 528e computerized injection on it? sheesh!!

After you received your car's release, you could go to your state dmv and get plates. Theoretically this is supposed to be the way it worked. As you can see , with all the steps, there were "opportunities"

Fortunately Porsches would fare better than most other makes, IF the conversion company did its job right
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 07-06-2009, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRE Cup View Post
Funny you mentioning some of the "mods" mike

Basically when the car came in, you posted a bond and signed a letter that you would bring the car in compliance. Then you took the car home, or to a shop to convert it
You could not register the car legally without releases from the DOT and EPA. so the preponderance of plastic dealer marketing plates on these cars along with local state dmv plates was the sure fire way to know the car driving ahead of you was grey market.

The temptation of extra $ and fraud with regards to a) ever testing it all- taking the risk of being pulled over before you sold it, skipped, and let the new buyer have all the fun with the feds b) non compliance , but it sure looked like it on papers that were filed c) compliance, papers filed, then the parts bad for performance "fell off" (usually saved for a rainy day if a knock came at the door) d) compliance , papers filed, and car running poorly < Ever seen a Countach with dual bmw 528e computerized injection on it? sheesh!!

After you received your car's release, you could go to your state dmv and get plates. Theoretically this is supposed to be the way it worked. As you can see , with all the steps, there were "opportunities"

Fortunately Porsches would fare better than most other makes, IF the conversion company did its job right
I would agree that of the cars I helped come into the US only about half were ever followed up on. As far as parts that made them legal falling off, that seems to be a problem with most Porsche's even to this day. LOL
Old 07-07-2009, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

It sounds like we have a 930 SE on our hands here. The bigger intercooler is usually the telltale. Do you have four exhaust pipes coming out of the back If so, you have the hot motor 930S. The only guarantee is to spec the cams since all the other stuff (exhaust, intercooler and turbo) can be easily added after the fact, but that ain't happening anytime soon unless you just feel like pulling the motor apart :0
I have the same boost gauge and center console. Your Volt Meter looks like it might have been updated though... that looks like a newer version of the VDO and not the old plain jane version. The weird thing in the few pics is the steering wheel... most of them shipped with the "ventiloni" (sp, mine is stored safely away in a closet) three spoke. That is what the AJR copies are made to look like (which is what I have in the car now so I don't wear through the leather of the NLA original.
Funny story about that center console, besides making your calf sweat and cramp on any drive over 20 minutes, it makes it damn near impossible to heel-toe the car. Ron Zitza was ready to bust me back to the Blue group at a DE in Savannah after he rode along with me to give me some "turbo pointers" since I usually pilot a 944 and was not heel-toeing the 930S. Then I asked him to physically show me how to heal-toe with that monstrosity in the way. After he took a "warm lap" he told me to please never bring the car back to a track anywhere... apparently the thought of wadding up a factory slope finds a soft spot in even the most hardcore racer
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
.............................................edite d to save space.........
Yes I do remember them I was talking to his brother a while back at a PCA event was surprised he recognized me after all these years. I purchased parts from him back when i was restoring my 914. They are long since gone AFAIK.
Anthony, pm sent.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
I just went and looked at my 87 factory slant, and that black cover next to the headlight motor has an 18 gauge wire protruding from it at the 8 oclock position...so it's not simply a cover for the rotating mechanism...there's power going to it. I didn't want to tear out the front plastic shroud to see what it goes to, but it has some sort of electrical function.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rob[/QUOTE]

This is the car that was from Knoxville /Louisville /Nashville area ( can't remember which), right?
Old 12-28-2009, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post

Rob
This is the car that was from Knoxville /Louisville /Nashville area ( can't remember which), right?[/QUOTE]

???????????? which one?
79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si
Old 12-28-2009, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Not sure however if there is more than SN one like this anywhere (I would think not) color etc. Always nice to know for sure.

Last edited by voitureltd; 12-29-2009 at 06:50 AM..
Old 12-28-2009, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: