Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Rocket Scientist

Early and Late throttle body comparison

Here is a picture comparing the early and late throttle bodies. Please use it as a reference when discussing vacuum connection issues.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Why the hole on the throttle plate of the 76~79?
Old 05-10-2013, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

I think that is a modification. It is the only one I have seen like that. I have not seen that many of the really early cars though, so I could be wrong.

I presume they wanted to raise the idle with some combination of parts/adjustments that they were using.

Does your car have the hole? Is it an early car? I have seen a lot of the later US cars, and they do not have the hole.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Mine does, it is a 78.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Thanks for the info. Maybe all the early cars had the hole then. All turbos use the same auxiliary air control valve, so maybe it has something to do with the ignition timing on the early cars. Maybe they needed more air to idle at 950 with their ignition timing.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
My 79 has the hole. It must be to allow for idle air since the throttle plate is closed completely at idle. This hole and the idle air bypass via the idle speed screw is the only means for the engine to get air at idle.

I removed my Aux air control valve when it started hanging open and readjusted the idle speed screw to idle at 1000rpm after plugging the holes up. Now I just need to rev it a little with my right foot when starting it cold till it warms up enuff to drive off.

It was a California model car according to the engine serial number and the distributor on it when I bought the car.

1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"

Last edited by fredmeister; 05-15-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: