Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
930 brake rotors 1979

I have to spend the money, where's the best place to purchase a set of front rotors for t my too expensive floating rotors???
Willy
Old 08-12-2009, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Many people convert to the later non-floating rotors from the 80's. They are much cheaper and if you aren't tracking it will be perfectly fine to use.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-12-2009, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Just order them from pelican. Stick with the floaters, they are a nice setup.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
rotors

track use only. would like to stay with the floaters
Old 08-12-2009, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
bump, I am in need of floating rotors too.
there must be other rotors that will fit this car from a different model. perhaps with slight modification only and lots cheaper.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Fred http://www.vehiclecraft.com/ sells bolt on floating rotors for your hubs. (non Porsche, his design)
Rotors are slotted though, not drilled.

I also have 79 2 piece hub/rotors up front on mine.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl8ton View Post
Fred http://www.vehiclecraft.com/ sells bolt on floating rotors for your hubs. (non Porsche, his design)
Rotors are slotted though, not drilled.

I also have 79 2 piece hub/rotors up front on mine.
thanks cl8ton.....
i have a question in to them if the rotors will bolt up to the standard rotor hats or if i need a set of theirs as well.
it appears from the site that his rotors are direct placements, but it dont hurt to ask and be sure....
I cracked my front rotors to the outer edge surface on a few of the outer most holes and this makes them too dangerous to run anymore. Doing lots of DE and track days is painful to the wallet when front rotors are $400 a piece.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 08-30-2009, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Good luck Fred if you use VHI's...let me knew how they work for you if you could?

PP has the originals listed as NLA, I bought my originals somewhere else at the $400 each price

Not again!
Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
front rotors

I ordered a front set of floaters from Doug at Vehicle Craft. Nice to deal with over the phone. I will use my existing hardware to bolt up. Also ordered some Pagid Blacks to have the whole package ready for POC track day at Cal Speedway in a couple of weeks.
Keep you guys posted.
Willy
Old 08-31-2009, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks Willy...would love to hear how they work!
Doug is a top notch guy! he rebuilt and powder coated my calipers last winter.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

So, how have they work out? Were you able to use stock hats?

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 10-09-2009, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
new VCI floating rotors

The rotors were great and we just bolted on the stock hats. Pedal feel was excellent. I used pads with some track time on them to properly break in the rotors and I will put new pads in before the next track event. VCI was great to work with and shipped on time and properly packed. I have 2 more California Speedway events and one Willow Springs event before the end of the year to enjoy the changes. Cal Speedway is a heavy braking track and the brakes felt very predictable and without spending for the high cost of factory floating rotors.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Willy

Did you get slotted or holes. Slotted has to last longer at the track.

I had my last set of holed rotors cryoed and theyseem to working better.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
rotors

i went with slotted. they seem to work great and no less braking performance from my drilled rotors. Not sure how long they will last but it would vary by track you are on and how hard you brake etc. no compaints and I saved a chunk of change on these.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I agree, slotted are better for track than drilled. It's very annoying when holes crack. Frankly, I believe plain non-slotted discs would be even better. When slotted crack, they usually crack between slot and outer edge of the disc.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: