Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Here are a couple more pics:

This is a cockeyed view of the cockpit. It has an updated panel for taking rides and going into controlled airspace (large airports, etc). It is a two seater as most P-51D's were.

This is a view of the top of the motor with the valve covers on but the sheet metal off. There's lots of real estate up there. When the engine is at idle, you can faintly see the arc of the prop. Even with open pipes, it's not too loud. But on take off and cruise, you will go deaf. If you damage the prop, it's $60,000 to replace.

This is a view of one bank of heads off a replacement motor. Notice how deep the combustion chamber is. It's tough to see, but the plugs come in at a 90 degree angle on opposite sides. I threw my keys in there for scale (again, 1,700 cu inches). And the heads are water cooled.

Here it is taxing out. I do not fly this by myself as I do not have enough time behind an exotic like this. It's valued at over $6 million, but we can only get $750,000 insurance. It is owned by the organization in which I am a member - The Commemorative Air Force, Dixie Wing. There is only one other war bird that does it for me (which we do not have at this wing) and that's an F4U Corsair. Now that's sex on wings....
Old 08-17-2009, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Nice thread, Don!
Are you able to upload any photos of the airplane sitting on the ground or in flight? Thanks.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Ahh, the Merlin! No finer sound anywhere, the airframe is not too shabby either! Must be wonderful to be able to take one of those things for a joyride. I keep meaning to go down to FL and get a ride in one, to remind me how cool flying really is. For me it is just droning around at FL370 monitoring the autopilot for a paycheck! Very cool!
Eric

81 911SC Coupe Guards Red, Stock. "Zippy"
Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Here's another use for a Merlin (with 4 wheels).

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?SaleCode=AW07&CarID=r140
Old 08-19-2009, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ouJ_WyS9v8
Old 08-19-2009, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Are these the same ones that are available for ride with pilot in Kissimmee? I have been to many of the aviation museums around here, DC and Hartford. Can spend hours and hours looking at such machines.

Guess, now i have another goal, huh. Been wondering how long before i couldn't hold it any more and had to fly in one even if didn't get to log it in my log book. BTW, what category are older military planes such as these? Are they single engine land with instrument, high performance, complex endorsements? It is an endorsement for each type of plane? Now I need to find FARS online can't imagine only using the book these days.

Regards,
Old 08-19-2009, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Paul View Post
That scene, in surround sound with audio cranked up enough to wake the kids on the other side of the house, sends chills down my spine!

- Mike
Old 08-19-2009, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BReyes View Post
Are these the same ones that are available for ride with pilot in Kissimmee? I have been to many of the aviation museums around here, DC and Hartford. Can spend hours and hours looking at such machines.

Guess, now i have another goal, huh. Been wondering how long before i couldn't hold it any more and had to fly in one even if didn't get to log it in my log book. BTW, what category are older military planes such as these? Are they single engine land with instrument, high performance, complex endorsements? It is an endorsement for each type of plane? Now I need to find FARS online can't imagine only using the book these days.

Regards,
It is utility category, SEL with tailwheel endorsement. The other warbirds we have are either experimental (ie, we build our own parts) or utility, all tailwheel endorsements. Actually, the most prized war bird we have is an SBD Dauntless. It is only one of three flying in the world, completely original. It was built in 1943 and saw action in the South Pacific. The P-51 is in D Day livery.

You can always come to Atlanta and get a kick a$$ ride right here. We also take it to Sun and Fun in Lakeland every year too.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I remember going to the Reno air races in the mid 80's and watching the P51's. Amazing sound and flying by around 100 ft off the ground. My other favorite is a P38.
Here is a clip of Alan de Cadenet getting buzzed by a Merlin powered Spitfire, pretty funny.
http://metacool.typepad.com/unabashed_gearhead_gnarly/2008/03/alain-de-cadene.html
Old 08-19-2009, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
How would you like to work on one of these?

They have some pretty cool stuff there- original pistons and rods for sale, etc: http://www.white1foundation.org/

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 08-20-2009, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Been working on the car, cars who knows, what is going on, more cars has to be a good thing though, surprised i am sitting up typing. Will try to check you guys out.

April down here is probably more feasible.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: