Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Right now as of yesterday we only took off the first one that had 3 of the 4 head bolt broken an it was fine. I will be there tomorrow to see the others.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Looks like you have a great solid car there to start with.

I'm not keen on the pastel shade, I don't think it works on your car as it is.

Do you have any pic's of this separating you speak of?

Good luck with your project, you're doing great.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Thanks Nathan,

What separating? I will be separating the pistons today from the engine. I'll take shots of those. I am worried that I will find broken rings. Then I have to send the heads to the mechine shop. So right now I am having my cup of coffee praying that by the end of the day the studs will be out and the pistons are fine. Stress is kicking in.

If your talking about the separating that I thought would have taken place when all but one head bolt broke on the top of the intake. I am shocked that the car wasn't leaking oil like crazy. Even my mechanic thought that was strange.

Robert
Old 08-31-2009, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Greetings:

Good luck with the rebuild!!!! Put a MSD-6al and coil IGNITION in..Well worth it. and not expensive..Everything is out of the car already...Upgrade it..That OLD-CDI BOX-could also malfunction..After all those years..It does get HOT in engine compartment..Put the box inside the car if u can..
Oh-don't get to frustrated...I've been there..It costs lots of $$$$$ and patience.

Walt
Old 08-31-2009, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

More pics

After two days of stripping the engine. We found the 6 broken head studs and two that seemed to be on the edge of pulling out.

The engine is stripped down and I just dropped it off at the machine shop.

They scared the crap out of me. He said that he believed that I needed a new piston. Then he checked it with some stuff and came back to me and said that I was fine. He will be resurfacing all 6 heads and putting new valve guides and seals. Also new rings and cleaning the pistons. Cleaning the cylinders and machining the top of them where they seal to the heads.

Good things were that the cams looked new. No pitting or marks.

Crank looks good. I might throw new bearings in it. I haven't decided yet. I'm pisssing out tons of money right now. The bank account is getting smaller by the day.

Anyway here are more pics.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

pics

Old 09-01-2009, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

more pics

Old 09-01-2009, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Front carpet

I accutally had time to put in the carpet for the front trunk. Here it is.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Got parts back

On Saturday I picked up the heads, pistons, cylinders and crankcase from the machine shop. They look brand new. Got the heads rebuilt and had then clean everything up. There was a few marks on the top of the cylinders, I guess from the fact that the piston was slapping the top and there was no head studs to hold the top on. So he made it all new.....I'll post pics tomorrow.

After that I went to Limerock. Man what a great day.

Later,
Robert
Old 09-07-2009, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Very cool! Keep up the pics!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Update

Sorry for the laps in time. I've been nuts at work and haven't had the time to update. So everything came back from the machine shop. The car is getting put back together. Good news is that the crank was fine. No marks and true round. I did change the seals and the bearings for each rod along with the rod bolts.

Heads are all redone as are the valves with new guides. Pistons were all checked and new rings installed. All in all. A full engine job.

Trans was taken apart and resealed. It seems the jackasses that did the syncros didn't use a gasket kit and attempted to reuse the gaskets that were on the trans already. So it was leaking like crazy.

Interior, I got the front seats redone. I went for the thin RSR carpet. I like it much better than the thick plush Carpet. I did the whole car two tone. Since the doors were tan and front seats were tan. I took the crazy ass yellow seats and put recondition black back seats. I also took the sound unit out of the back and put in the deck lid from a 88 911 coupe, also black. The dash I left two tone. Doors, I changed the shaggy tan carpet and put black. I updated all seat belts. Put a nice hard drive MP3 stereo.

I got the front and rear window seals replaced with PORSCHE seals. Not the after market crap. I have heard crazy stories about the after market ones.

I put the Bosch H4 lights up front.

I will update with more pics at a later date. Here are a few of the car and engine today. The car should be all together on Thur. of next week.

Robert.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Wow, looks great! Thanks for the pics.
-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 09-24-2009, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

And I thought I moved fast when I bought my car!!! I bet you cant wait to be driving your new bank account around. Well at least you know what you have now and there is no mystery about the internals . Great story!!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Yes 10K, thats a good start , I just did a top end re-build as well so I can feel your pain. Be prepared though, with the 930's have some project money set aside each year because they are not cheap to maintain!
87 930 Super Cup (964) Cams , Andial K27 7200 Turbo, Andial Intercooler, Twin Plug, Andial Fuel Enrichment System, Carillo Rods, Mahle Pistons, Raceware head studs, Adjustable Turbo, Ruf Wheels, plus much more...
Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

I know. I just priced brake upgrades. Man. Its nuts. Anyone think that the Cararra S caliper set up on my car will be ok for a few years or would you change them?

Robert
Old 09-24-2009, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Your flying on that project! I love spending money buying parts for the car and installing them. Feels good don't it!

Carrera S brakes? If your not tracking the car, they should work. 930 caliper are getting harder to find AND expensive, so you might end up with Big Reds. Of course you need 17 inch wheels to clear them...
Old 09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by occb2 View Post
I know. I just priced brake upgrades. Man. Its nuts. Anyone think that the Cararra S caliper set up on my car will be ok for a few years or would you change them?

Robert
with race pads,(pagid blacks, porterfields, hawk blue), good fluid, and lots of cooling you'll be ok...if you do track her you will learn the true meaning of brake management. but you'll be ok. I've been on my s brakes for almost a decade now, and I can keep up with the big brake boys. I just cant out brake em.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 09-24-2009, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Thanks. I see we have the same car. Did you put a intercooler on it? I did. Right now I have the stock 3.3 intercooler. It was a ***** to do. I had to get the 3.3 intake manifold and throttle body, but I found them in PA on a low mile 930 that someone was changing to electronic control fuel injection system. When my bank account gets back up, I will be looking for a better intercooler. It has the k27 turbo on it and nice SS box headers on it. So I think will need a nice intercooler to support the K27.

Rob.

PS I can't wait to get it on the road. The season only has a few weeks/ months left.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

My Carrera weighs 2750lbs which is probably close to your weight. Carrrea front rotors wit Carrera iron calipers with the right pads and fluid can work on the track or be a nice upgrade on the street. And they are lighter than full turbo brakes.

I believe the intake ports on a 3.3 are smaller than on a 3.0. Just something to look at.

Are those BBS magnesium rims. BBS sells correct paint for your rims if you want to bring them back to.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

They are BBS rims. No idea if they are Magnesium. I plan on getting rid of them and putting on orig. rims.

From everything I was told, the intake manifold from the 3.3 fits the 3.0 perfectly. I will know in a few days. The cams are being timed tomorrow and then we put the exhaust. Then the intake and intercooler set up. It should be done by next Wed or Thur.

Rob
Old 09-24-2009, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: