Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Update

Man the car is almost done. I was there yesterday. The trans is waiting to be put on the engine, all sealed up. The engine is complete with out the intercooler put on. That will be but on today and bolted up and installed into the car today. The interior is complete. The windows that didn't go down, were fixed by tracing the power to the main switch. Once they found the brake in the line and repaired it, both the windows go down now.

I ran a line to the new seats. The car did not originally have power seats. The reupholstered seats, driver side, is powered. Then we installed them.

All the lights work but the front left turn signal. The bulb is a two filament bulb. One turns on when the light are on. When you hit the turn signal, it doesn't light the second one. I can live with that right now.

The two tone came out better than I thought. I'm thinking I should have got black front seats. The seats were tan original and the re-tanned to the color but now the seats are brighter than the doors and the dash.

Here are a few more pics.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

More pics

A few more.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
The only thing that sticks out and can easily be corrected are the speaker grills. They would look less conspicous painted flat black.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Very good idea. Never thought about that. I'll do it soon. Hey, what do you guys think about tinting the windows? Does anyone have tinted windows? If so, can you take a pic and post it. Thanks.

Rob
Old 10-03-2009, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Banned

Here's a pic of the rear of my car - GP white with tinted windows - looks very good tinted and I think your yellow one would look good, too. BTW: I've been following your build - very nice !!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Old 10-03-2009, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
Rob,
Your car is coming along really nice! As for tinting, it would look great on a yellow car. Make sure tinting legal where you live.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Thanks all. I'm at the shop now trying to finish it up and have the engine in tonight. Fingers are crossed. Having a few vac. issues. Going from Non intercooled to intercooled is causing a bit of confusion, but I think we have figured it out. Helps out that Mike is a porsche tech..lol. Not his first one....
Old 10-03-2009, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

nooooooooo to the tint...unless its and extremely light tinit...like 50 - 75 % . My personal opinion is that tint on a 930 makes it look like it came straight outta miami in the 1980s and your wearing a zoot suit and your profession is cocaine. just sayin.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 10-03-2009, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

It will be a light tint. I'm not talking ghetto tint...lol. I think a 50ish will be good. The engine didn't go in the other day. I had to work the past two days, so I will be back at the shop today hoping that the engine will be in and running today. I'll update with more pics tonight if it happens.

Rob
Old 10-05-2009, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Oil pump

Almost did it yesterday. The engine and trans are bolted together and ready to go in. So we started adding the new oil lines to the turbo and when we are putting the one on the little cam fed oil pump that feeds oil to the turbo, the fitting that comes out is very loose. So we decided to put a crush washer in it. Well, better said than done.

We had to take the pump off the car. Then on a vice, pull the dumb ass piece out. While looking at it, we say that its the same fitting as a fuel filter end. So we took out a new fuel filter and took that end out. It is a little longer which made it perfect.

We then re tapped the pump. Opened it up...(In case anyone ever has to do this. You have to take out the three long bolts, which takes off the back housing, then there is a small rod that goes through the back, tap that out and you see the two gears that run the pump.) then I cleaned the crap out of the inside, due to the metal chips inside from the tapping. Put it all back together.

Well all that took until 12 am, so I went home. I am about to go back to the shop now and hope to have a running car today. Wish me luck.

Rob
Old 10-06-2009, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Done....Well almost....

Well today we did it. We put the engine and trans in. Then hooked it all up. Started up and then stalled. Then Mike adjusted the fuel distributor thing and then it started and ran. Man did it run good. Not much smoke at all. Well at least not out of the engine. We didn't tighten one of the Hydro cam tensioner lines and it was dropping oil on one of the headers. So smoke everywhere. That and the drain plug on the round screen thing on the bottom of the engine were leaking. That was it as far as engine oil. Trans, had one place. On the bottom of the trans there is a small plate that is held on by four nuts. We changed the gasket, still leaked. We re-drained the trans and opened it up to find that the aluminum was crimped on one side. We flatted it out and made it smooth. Put the gasket and resealed it. Still its dripping about 2 drips every 5 mins.

Also, I think that we are going to rebuild the petal assembally tomorrow. Along with the CV joints. One of the boots ripped. So we ordered the boots for all 4.

Some of the gauges are not working . The boost gauge seems to want to work. I know from dealing with other 911's that when a gauge grounds, it pegs as soon as you put the ign. on. Well, the oil level is doing that. So I believe that there is a bad wire. The oil press. is fine, the fuel level is fine, the boost, when I put the ign. on doesn't peg but when I start the car, it pegs. leading me to believe that its the sensor. the two lights on the oil pressure gauge in the middle don't work. I think they are an oil level light and alt. light. The both don't work. All that is minor so I can live with it for now.

I think that is it. I kept the compressor and the compressor bracket out of the car for now. It will be going in, in the spring.

I should be driving it tomorrow. Only for about 100 miles, at around 65 MPH. Then I am bringing it back for an oil change. Then Friday its going to the Cape with me. I can't wait.

Rob

Here are a few pics from today.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

It's coming together nicely. I think tint looks great on a 930. I dont think it is ghetto. All of my vehicles have limo tint on them. I like the privacy , I feel too exposed without it. My car is red with black wheels. All the trim is black so with black windows it just ties it all together. To each his own I guess!!!!Here is a pic of my car you can decide for yourself if you like the tint look or not. you sure will have a nice car when you get finished. It's best to just get it all sorted out first thing like you have done , and now you know what you have!!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Great news! I like the tint on my car as well. If course it was there when I bought it.

The leak from the trans sounds like it's coming from the shift fork guide plate. I had a persistant leak and ended up using the loctite case sealer with the gasket.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Congrats!!!

LOOKS GREAT!!!!

ENJOY the cool weather in N.Y.

Walt
Old 10-07-2009, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Looking like you're almost there.. enjoy brotha!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
Hate to say it... but the yellow is growing on me!
Congrats! she looks great!
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 10-07-2009, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

shake her down and bring her on down to okturbofest!

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 10-07-2009, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Can't wait to hear how she runs, congrats!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Infidel

What have you done with the fueling? Did they flow test the fuel from each injector to make sure it's even across all cylinders? Have you made your WUR adjustable? If you are running 0.8bar with a K27 you want to be sure your fueling is good, otherwise you'll be in there rebuilding it again.

Great to see you've made so much progress, hope you get to enjoy it for many years to come! Just make sure you get it set up right with the fueling!
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 10-08-2009, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: