Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Skype™ to djdawson2
RarlyL8 muffler install and impressions

Well, I finally installed my first performance part... the RarlyL8 muffler. This happened a couple of weeks ago, ordering last minute from Brian prior to a nice little trip from Denver to Park City, Utah. I decided this was a must have after listening to my car during WOT acceleration while driving next to a concrete barrier. The sound of the stock system reflecting back at me was... uh... "disappointing" to say the least. The exhaust sound took me back in time... not the engine, but the sound of the flow of the spent gases... suddenly I returned to my childhood... my parent's Vista Cruiser wagon, equipped with a 455 that was likely breathing through a single 2 1/4 inch straw. The high velocity wheezing noise as my dad would mash the pedal to pass. Those were the days.

Figuring the 930 was entirely the wrong place to be reliving that auditory trauma, the email was sent late at night to Brian. Deep in fabricating his headers, he still happily offered to get one together and shipped to me ASAP.

The pieces that arrived were up to the standards that we've all heard Brian rant about. First class everything... including the hardware.

Pics from the install:
I had intended to remove the bumper. However, as I discovered that the Philips head screw behind the bumper trim had rusted to oblivion on the right side, I took a closer look for other options. It looked quite possible that if I removed the rear valance and heat shield, the job could be performed without removing the bumper. Removal was simple... a half dozen or so Philips head screws, and 3 10mm head bolts at the top of the heat shield. No gymnastics... it was soon out as one piece and on the floor:

Shot of the stock exhaust in place with the valence and heat shield removed:

Removing the bolts attaching the exhaust to the turbo. The 3 that are visible were very easy. I was concerned about the 4th, but it was not challenging either, using a stubby wrench. Note that my car has lived in dry climates its entire life, YMMV with rusty hardware:

Everything out:

Old exhaust removed in one piece:

Yep... got nervous when I saw the O2 bung in the new system. Would Brian have included a plug? Quickly tearing open the plastic hardware bag... relief... Brian had me covered. This bung will be good to have down the road when I install a wideband O2 sensor. Now slipping the new unit into position:

I reinstalled the bolts holding the muffler to the turbo, and reinstalled the valence/heatshield and its weatherstripping. Cake:

Fit the tailpipe, make minor alignment adjustments, and tighten the clamps:

The only loose end... the fitting from the air pump, I believe (left side of pic). I imagine it would be best to remove this entire system at some point:

Finished product, ready for a test run. Neat, great looking, and *perfect* fit:

I must admit that I wasn't expecting much in terms of power increase. If I had expected it, I would have done before and after dyno runs to satisfy my curiosity, as I live for hard data. I was pleasantly surprised. The change in the car was night and day... boost threshold significantly lower, and power greatly enhanced. Prior to muffler replacement, the car would seldom hit .8 bar on the factory gauge... usually sitting at around .6 bar at WOT. After install, boost would eagerly climb to 1 bar indicated... the combo of new muffler and boost transformed the car. Since my car has a 5 speed, improved available power in 5th became quite noticeable as well. I typically drive at 5000ft above sea level and greater. As such, 5th had always been a fairly useless gear if you were going 70mph and wanted to make even a tame pass. It always required a downshift. After install, this was no longer true.

Sound... I was apprehensive as I drove down my road... a steep 1 mile descent. I basically coast down the hill in 1st gear. The engine was cackling and popping as I idled along. I was worried further. However, as I got out on the main roads, this tendency decreased as the engine warmed to operating temperature... to the point where it was fairly minimal, and not too obtrusive. Cruising speed on the highway seems no louder than stock... very nice surprise. WOT results in a powerful sound... but really not that loud. I retained the OE wastegate muffler... and honestly, I'm glad that I did. I really wouldn't have wanted the car to be any louder.

All in all, I am 110% happy with the sound and performance. I never could have imagined such a change in the car resulting from work that took about an hour to perform.

Now... to replace those front control arm bushings and the trans output flange seals...

Dave
Old 08-28-2009, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Congrats.... I know the feeling. Who needs a radio with such a great sounding exhaust.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 08-28-2009, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Looks good ,I just order RarlyL8 muffler and turbo unit from Brian so nice to see that you are 110% happy....
944 TURBO S 1989 WHITE/BLACK # 1 944 TURBO S 1989 #2
911 S 1970 Targa /ex porsche werks car!
911 S 1969 Targa (under rebuild)
Old 08-29-2009, 12:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
If you like what the RarlyL8 muffler did for your 930, try some headers next.......
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 08-29-2009, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Looking good Dave!
You should have a 3" CT T-bolt clamp that attaches the tailpipe to the stock muffler clamp at the joint where the tailpipe slides onto the 180 pipe. The mounting kit includes this clamp and the nuts/bolts to relocate the bracket. This will secure the entire assembly and cut down on vibration.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
If you like what the RarlyL8 muffler did for your 930, try some headers next.......
Just waiting for them to go into production with heater boxes...
Old 08-29-2009, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Looking good Dave!
You should have a 3" CT T-bolt clamp that attaches the tailpipe to the stock muffler clamp at the joint where the tailpipe slides onto the 180 pipe. The mounting kit includes this clamp and the nuts/bolts to relocate the bracket. This will secure the entire assembly and cut down on vibration.
Ah... was wondering what those were for. Is it intended that the long bolts act as studs/spacers to push that bracket aft about an inch?
Old 08-29-2009, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes. You should have received instructions with pictures as well. If not I can e-mail them to you.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Yes. You should have received instructions with pictures as well. If not I can e-mail them to you.
I just searched the box again... no instructions. I kinda figured it didn't come with any since there really isn't much to it.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-29-2009, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Figuring the 930 was entirely the wrong place to be reliving that auditory trauma, the email was sent late at night to Brian. Deep in fabricating his headers, he still happily offered to get one together and shipped to me ASAP.
You're killing me! I still have a stock exhaust. I have to get one of these RarlyL8 exhausts soon. And you made it look easy.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Here is a pic of my "dual out" RarlyL8 muffler.

As Dave describes, it felt significant power increase compared to the original muffler with catalyst. Spool up is much quicker and it revs faster.
The sound is really great.

Brian sent me some really good illustrating pictures of the mounting procedure.

Last edited by totle; 08-31-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Old 08-30-2009, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I emailed your instructions Dave. These are attached to the outside of the box in a shipping label pouch which can be a overlooked, or I simply forgot to stick it on.
I can fix you up when you're ready Oily.
Trond you have a great looking car! Love the wheels and front valance treatment.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Very nice.

Brian, do you think you will ever make a dual exit for people with a 964 rear bumper? I appreciate that there wouldn't be all that many potential customers.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-30-2009, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes I have a system for the 965. I'm working out a deal with a fellow to use his car for fitment verification. That G-pipe/muffler area is a problem if you use the stock tailpipes.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Dixie Boost Hooligan

Here's a pic of my RarlyL8 single out.
Fitment is excellent. Sound is intoxicating. Imagine Auto/Fabspeed headers, K27S with Tial 46, Mostly a raw powerful sound at idle with an aggressive sound at speed; yet no harmonic resonance. Full boost acceleration sounds down right wicked! Thanks Brian!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Nice car, I like the subtle classic Turbo graphics. Are they origonal?

Nice to see another 930 in southeast Florida too. There's alot of them down here even though our straight, flat over crowded roads full of blue hairs are so boring...

I know of about 8 or 9 of them between Palm Beach and Broward county. Havn't met all the owners though.

I like tangents in conversation so sorry if going off topic upsets anyone...
Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Canucks Fan

I ordered the same unit from Brian and it just arrived yesterday, only draw back is that I'm out of the country for a month so I have to wait but from reading these posts I know the smile factor is going to be worth the wait.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Good lord Scott I shipped that package on 8/17! I swear it takes longer to reach Canada than Europe.
Each muffler has a laugh out loud guarantee. If you don't laugh like a little kid the first time you get on boost send it back 'cause there is something wrong.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Dixie Boost Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Nice to see another 930 in southeast Florida too. There's alot of them down here even though our straight, flat over crowded roads full of blue hairs are so boring...

I know of about 8 or 9 of them between Palm Beach and Broward county. Havn't met all the owners though.
Thanks, and Yes...Florida roads are so boring and crowded with clueless drivers it is almost pointless to own a sports car (here). Once sorted, it's likely this car will live in Cali where many many long cool days days of Canyon carving will be its routine. I can already hear the canyons echo with the blaring melody of the boosted flat six through the RarlyL8 exhaust. Radio delete, check and 'Blue Hairs' be damned! LOL
Old 09-01-2009, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
R.I.P.

turbo3six - is that your car at KMW? I own the shop right next door and was admiring your car all day today. I love the turbo script on the sides. You might have seen my white 930 on Kevin's lift getting the custom muffler.

Darin

ps. hate to see it leave the area...... and we really gotta put together a meet for the s. florida 930 guys
Old 09-01-2009, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: