Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Homemade Whaletail

Hi everyone

I just (almost) finished my own wing

The story began like this:

I bought a Blownsix 965 IC, nice item, but does not fit under the wing, too thick

I have to tell, that my engine was allready lowered about 10mm, although lack of 20mm clearance to close engine hood...

After some other activities to lower IC like shorten Long neck and throttle body, I decided to build my own wing, what I wanted anyway someday, because I don't like the look of the big rubber piece. I only like the look on a stock 930.

However, first I had to think about the design and wich way I will make a premaster to get an idea of how it will fit and look.

I removed the rubber piece, drilled out the rivets. Then I closed the hood and moved the upper part of the base upwards, until the gap was enough to not touch the IC plus 5mm. This was a gap about 25mm at the joint face.

Then I removed the base and made a wing around using a wood plate and Styrofoam
(There will be better pics later in process)

You can imagine, that it was a lot of work to shape a wing out of some foam blocks

Unfortunatly I lost some pics of the process, so we go on after a lot of filling and sanding and painting until the masterpiece locked like this

Because I made a lot of drawings and outlines, the wing succeed as I wanted.

Now it was time to mount it and check the fitment etc... Sorry no pics

Of course I could not use it, too heavy and very fragile, some cracks are allready found.

I am not going to deep into the working processes here, if someone want some more information on any step, please ask.

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Next I made a mold to laminate the wing by hand. I decided to make two pieces

Then I made the two final pieces of the wing, believe me, al lot of gelcoating, laminating and fiberglass. However, here is the result:

Here after a bit of finish the first fitting test

Here some pics, after jointing the pieces together. Unfortunatly, I had some problems with the gelcoat connecting to the fiberglass. So I had to break up these areas and refill with epoxy (I don't like polyester, it's all epoxy that I used here)

Last edited by proffighter; 09-10-2009 at 02:53 PM..
Old 09-10-2009, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
But after a few days of filling (I fitted som clear tape on the damaged areas and filled out with thinned epoxy through a syrenge) and sanding, the wing was ready for painting

As well I lost some pics of this step, but you can now see the result

Old 09-10-2009, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

damn.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
I need skills!!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Incredible Roland !!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Excellent work. And that's a great looking car.

Tom
Old 09-10-2009, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I don't know how accurate that wing is, but when I look at it, it seems way more attractive than the most whale tails I see. Congrats. It looks amazing.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

Excellent work - extremely cool, unique shape . . . VERY badass !!!!

I have repaired and fabbed many parts out of fiberglass over the years and can really appreciate what you put into this project - congratulations on the fine, final result !!!!!

R
Old 09-10-2009, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you

All measurements are accurate to a milimeter, that's probably more precisely than most aftermarket wings (and most 930 bodywork anyway)

What you can't see on pics is that I made a lot of calibers and tools (foam cutting arch for example) to get the results I aspired.

Just to get an idea of the size of this project: I started with the Idea last fall and finished a month back now, a couple of hours each week and many weekends too. It took almost three months until I had the definite layout and start building, another three months until the molds were finished.

I have no special room for working on this, so I had to do a lot of improvising. Luckily I do not live together with my girlfriend, she would'nt like to sleep between Epoxy and fiberglass

Old 09-10-2009, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
So how does it feel at speed?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Man that's nice!
Maybe a little late now but wouldn't a smaller intercooler been a little less time consuming? HA!

Last edited by RarlyL8; 09-10-2009 at 07:48 PM..
Old 09-10-2009, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
I'm not worthy..........I don't posses those skills either!

And to think, all I want to do is make some smooth replacement pieces to get rid of those ugly bumper bellows......sheezz.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Nice work. I used to do alot of that kind of stuff when I worked at Gunnar Porsche in the eightees.
Fiberglass, bodywork, and spraying paint is a good skill to have when you need it as long as you have a place to do it.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Very nice. Outstanding work. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quality,, like a fine Swiss watch!!!!!!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 09-10-2009, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thumbs up Impressive

Well done !!
Just curious, how much does it weigh?

Car looks great.

t9
Old 09-10-2009, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Man that's nice!
Maybe a little late now but wouldn't a smaller intercooler been a little less time consuming? HA!
...says the man who makes some very nice headers

For me, it's not only driving, I need to work with my hands. So it's only natural, that my Turbo will never be finished

Old 09-10-2009, 11:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Good god man. I feel so inadequate now...

Beautiful. Really.
55 Belair
40 Ford pickup
Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome job... You have a sweet looking ride. I love the whole combination. Can we see what's under that whaletail?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: