Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I had same question last year when I did oil change.

I was going for Valvoline 20-50, but I was told that this oil might be to thick for a the turbo.

I then went for 5-50

Mark: Whats your experience?
Would Valvoline also be good in our colder Norwegian weather :-) ?
1986 944 Turbo
Old 04-15-2010, 11:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
The 5W50 sounds good for your cold average temperature. Just keep in mind that having that wide of a viscosity spread will necessitate more frequent oil changes, especially with the heat of a turbocharger. The way the multi-weight oils work is through viscosity modifiers, which are coiled hydrocarbon chains (like a spring) which uncoil at higher temperatures and get more viscous. These coiled molecule chains are easier to break down into smaller chunks (due to heat) which makes the oil thinner.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 04-16-2010, 12:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Not sure where i can get 5w50 Mobile1 in Norway though.. hmmm

Last edited by Oheggem; 04-16-2010 at 12:08 PM..
Old 04-16-2010, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Esso has it, Know tha Coop also had for a while, I even have seen that Europris has had them in 1 liter bottles.
and here Stjerneservice
Just google.no and you will find many places.

I know even many that has been pleased with Biltema's synthetic 5w-50
1986 944 Turbo
Old 04-16-2010, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Walmart Supertech 20w50 oil.....Believe it or not, alot of 1/4 mile racers use these stuff.

Checked with Bob the oil guy forums and other racing forums before pouring this stuff in.

So far so good.(using it over year).No complaints. Did some nice 60-130mph runs last week..Top end was great.

Walt
Old 04-16-2010, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Thx alot for that. Will definatly look for it. They say biltemas is the same as the one on statoil. Biltema apparently buy their oil from statoil...
Old 04-16-2010, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Don,

Are there two Rotella 15w-40's? I'm unclear from your post. Are you using the Rotella T 15w-40 (triple protection) oil.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Don,

Are there two Rotella 15w-40's? I'm unclear from your post. Are you using the Rotella T 15w-40 (triple protection) oil.
It's Rotella T 15w40 Triple Protection. Its about $11 for a gallon at W-mart.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Thanks. They had 2.5 gallon containers, but it's slightly cheaper to buy it in 1 gal containers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
It's Rotella T 15w40 Triple Protection. Its about $11 for a gallon at W-mart.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Favorite Oil

It seems like there are two major issues here - one is engine wear attributed to low ZDDP levels (mostly on the lifter/cam interface and also on some bearing surfaces) and the other is the coking in the turbo.

As I recall from reading many posts, there have been very few complaints on this board that any kind of Porsche recommended oil has contributed to abnormal wear even on high-mileage engines. (Not talking about oil cooler failures, contamination, excursions to 15K RPM, or lack of maintenance here folks) Is that true Wayne?

On the other hand, coking has been an issue. Could somebody who has access to many turbochargers over the years look into a representative number of turbo cartridges and judge the level of coking and attribute that value (low, medium, high?) along with the brand/weight of oil that was being used?

It sure would be good if we could settle the dino/synthetic and low weight/higher weight discussions based on some quantitative data rather than what the oil companies claim, my best friend's recommendation, or what is on sale at Wal-Mart.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-16-2010, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
......................edit for space.......................
It sure would be good if we could settle the dino/synthetic and low weight/higher weight discussions based on some quantitative data rather than what the oil companies claim, my best friend's recommendation, or what is on sale at Wal-Mart.

Thanks,
Mark
Ultimate motor oil thread
The term "ad nauseam" has never been more appropriate. Charles Navarro did a noble job trying to keep this topic under control. Unfortunately, 66 pages later the debate rages on.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 04-17-2010, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
[snip]

Thanks,
Mark
I go by what's worked for me and where I can buy it economically. Over the past ten years of building my own and other's motors and using tons of different oils, I'm keeping it simple and economic. I didn't see/measure/experience any difference between $17 super synthetic and $2.50 quality dino oil. There is no magic juice - just marketing.

I find it interesting that some folks freak on what oil has the best flashpoint, bearing wear, shear test or lubricity but pour Quik Trip gas in their tanks or change their air filters every 50 gazillion miles or have AFR's so freakin low that the oil get hopelessly diluted anyway.

Last edited by DonE; 04-17-2010 at 07:38 PM..
Old 04-17-2010, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
royal purple 20w 50
Old 04-18-2010, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

New magic green juice... more than marketing

This new Green Earth oil may be the future.

Team Gunnar Racing won the LMPC class at the ALMS Long Beach race yesterday with their new Oreca prototype car with Corvette motor and they finished second at the Sebring 12 hour last month.

It's new stuff made from animal fat.. looking real good and it's completely biodegradable.

Green Earth Technologies
Green Earth Technologies - G-OILŪ - G1 Racing Oil

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=131301

News > Sebring: Green Earth Team Gunnar comments on IMSA decision - Motorsport.com
Old 04-18-2010, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
How about this one: Mobil Super 1000 15W-40?
I can get it quite cheap some place here.......
Old 05-25-2010, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oheggem View Post
How about this one: Mobil Super 1000 15W-40?
I can get it quite cheap some place here.......
Probably not a good choice unless you add ZDDP.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Interesting concept on the Green Earth cow oil. Just think, when you're finished with it in your car's crankcase you can drain it out - add some methanol and sodium hydroxide - and convert it into diesel fuel and glycerine fractions. Run the diesel in your VW Rabbit and use the glycerine to keep your hands soft. That's about as green as it gets. Not to mention your exhaust would smell like a perpetual Burger King at all times.

Of course, they need to put some ZDDP in it (in which case it would no longer be "green") to protect our rockers and cams, and I wonder how well it will stand up to red-hot turbo shafts and coking? It sounds like you can find it at Ace and Home Depot, so who wants to be the first to test it out in a 930?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: