Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
79 930 should have which oil?;)

Hi guys (and girls)

I have had a really nice us 930 for about a month now and it impresses me every time i drive it. Now though i want to top it with oil (changing it later in the year) and i have no idea what to pour into it?

Can someone point me to which oil i need please. It has run 147k and it uses a little bit.
Here i can get:

Castrol
Mobile1
Helix and a few others.

Thx guys
OHeggem
Old 09-26-2009, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The best choice these days seems to be 20W-50 Brad Penn, but that's probably not available in Norway.

Whatever you use, make sure it has enough zinc or ZDDP. I think 1200 ppm is the minimum for our older cars. Most 10W-40 and lighter oils don't have enough zinc so if you need to run a lighter oil, you'll need to add a zinc additive. Most of the 20W-50 oils have higher zinc since they're not limited by gov't regulation.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
125shifter makes a good recommendation but you have to consider that we know more about oil now than Porsche did in 1979. Since these engines (and turbos) run at such high temperatures, synthetic oil that does not burn under the normal driving conditions that you experience in Norway, should be one of your choices.

Everyone on this board has their own personal favorite oil and since no two cars/drivers are the same, that's just fine.

The bottom line is that you should find an oil that is recommended by Porsche/your Porsche mechanic, available and affordable to you, does a decent job of both lubricating and cooling based on the proper viscosity for your driving and climate, and change it often enough to let it do the job right.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-26-2009, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Good advice there but it still leaves me with a headache. I just don`t have the oil knowledge to just pick one. A search leaves me totally blank too. Hmm... Maby i`ll just call a Porsche dealer/workshop and ask them. Not that many of them here as Porsche is not the most common of cars because tax laws and such.

Still though, fantastic car! I can leave some pictures if there`s any interest. Like you guys never seen one huh
Old 09-26-2009, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Hei Oheggum!

Congrats on the new ride! Mine spent some time at Jan Henry Løkken in Ås (top bloke) and we chatted about pros and cons of synthetic vs. dino and which grade. He recommended Mobil 1 5-50W. There are however some differing thoughts on this forum concerning oils. Worth a read.

Peter
Old 09-26-2009, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

I'll probably get flammed, but I run mobil 1 0-40 in mine. she runs smoother, quieter, and cooler. I tried brad penn, and lost a turbo with it. coking around the bearings even though I always cooled her down. i was at daytona and a significant amount of teams there were running 0 40. I figure if they run it all weekend flat out, it'll be just fine for my 2500mi oil change intervals.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 09-26-2009, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I use Valvoline VR1 racing because of it's supposed higher ZDDP content. I recently found myself reading through a bunch of challenging information on a Corvette forum (claiming mis-information on Valvoline's web site) and claiming that the VR1...being API SM rated...couldn't possibly have high ZDDP because of what it would do to modern cars' cats. In the end, somebody contacted Valvoline - and here is their official response.

Quote:
We are not able to join the forums, but we can give you the answer you need, or maybe would like to add to the forum. Our VR1 Racing Oil is NOT just an "ordinary new car street oil" as listed. Our Valvoline VR1 Racing Oils can be used in street applications, but still contains the high amount of ZDDP (Zinc and Phosphorus). This information can be found on our Valvoline.com website, under the section where it lists the Racing Oils. We have also added the product information sheet for both the VR1 and the "Not Street Legal" Racing oils. As you will see, Valvoline still contains 1200 ppm Zinc content in our regular conventional VR1. It does carry the API Service "SM" rating, but this oil was not made to change for emission standards due to it not being a "ordinary street car oil." This information clearly states the amount of both the Zinc and Phosphorus levels in the oils. The main difference between the the "Not Street Legal" racing oil, or commonly known as Conventional and Synthetic Racing oils, and the VR1 is the Calcium content. Calcium levels are higher in the NSL oils, compared to the VR1, and the NSL oil is only recommended for 500 mile oil changes, while the VR1 is a 3 month/3,000 mile oil.
Valvoline stands behind the flat-tappet and more aggressive type cam applications 100% with our Valvoline VR1 and NSL Racing oils. The proof is in our product information sheets, which are online for the viewing as well.

Here are the product information sheets with test results for all of VR1, Not Street Legal conventional, and Not Street Legal Synthetic.

Thank you,

Valvoline
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I use semi-synthetic 10-40 high performance Mobile but Vavoilne is good choose.
944 TURBO S 1989 WHITE/BLACK # 1 944 TURBO S 1989 #2
911 S 1970 Targa /ex porsche werks car!
911 S 1969 Targa (under rebuild)
Old 09-26-2009, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I`ll try the Mobil 1 as i can get that here cause i have no idea where to get the Valvoline one. The Valvoline seems the way to go though.

Can`t wait to get my ride garaged and detailed to perfection Insane how these old cars perform. I giggle everytime i boost it up a bit
Old 09-26-2009, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oheggem View Post
I`ll try the Mobil 1 as i can get that here cause i have no idea where to get the Valvoline one. The Valvoline seems the way to go though.

Can`t wait to get my ride garaged and detailed to perfection Insane how these old cars perform. I giggle everytime i boost it up a bit
In the early days I used to pee my pants...but have gotten over that since the leather seats were taking a beating. Now, it's more like an orgasm. Much more enjoyable.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
If you use Mobil 1 that's not 20W-50, I'd use a ZDDP additive. I've seen too many worn to cam followers to risk it.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Check with your Porsche mechanic. I have been told never to mix synthetic with standard oils. If I was you i would do a change and put Mobil one in and then you know eactly what is in there.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Wasp racing here in Sweden got the Brad Penn 20w50 Racing oil..

Personally I use Motul 300V 15W50 Competition (Think its the best 930 oil out there especially if you do trackevents)
Old 09-27-2009, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
So i think i`m going with 10w-40 mobile 1. This is semi-synthetic no? I feel i should have a mineral oil but lets try this one
Old 04-15-2010, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Motul 300V.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Rotella 15w40 heavy duty....no kidding. It has one of the highest levels of zinc and phosphorus and it works.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I was at Walmart today getting oil for my truck and started to look at oil for the 930. I couldn't find any 20w-50 except in quarts from Castrol (at $3.77 each!). I did see the Rotella, but wasn't sure which one to try. There was T5 (10w-30) @ $16.00, T6 (5w-40) @ $19.50 and Rotella T (15w-40) @ $11.50. All for one gallon.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by A930Rocket; 04-15-2010 at 07:20 PM..
Old 04-15-2010, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

When I was researching oil filters for my F250 powerstroke, I came across Pure Power. I called and was forwarded to the owner of the company and we talked a while. I told him that I have a 930 and needed oil with a high zinc and phosphorus level and so on. He said he has oil he blends for that, but I would be just well off buying the Rotella 15w40 because it has some of the highest levels for diesel motors. So, I called Shell and spoke to them. They recommended the regular oil (15w40) because of the same reasons and that their synthetic didn't have the additives needed for flat tappets. I asked about synthetic and he (tech engineer at Shell in Houston) said synthetic is just regular oil refined to a higher degree - there is no such thing as a synthetic oil made of anything other than base mineral oil. As I knew in the past, all the goodies are in the additives. Anyway, I've torn into so many of these motors in the past ten years, I personally don't think the latest super-duper professional grade synthetic is any better for our motors than 15w40 Pennzoil or the VR1 Chevron (another excellent choice according to the Shell guy). The biggest question is the turbo itself and what bearings it uses and how you are oiling the cartridge. Oil coking is a function of oil additives and then the base stock itself, but if we're diligent in idling the motor rior to shut down, it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I realize oil is a religion on this forum so take my comments with a grain of salt. I use Rotella 15w40 and a good quality filter. Ironically, I use a Pure Power filter for my truck - it filters down to 2 microns (paper filters are around 20 microns) and oil actually goes through it rather than beside it.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Well, there are full synthetics but I think they are mostly used in Formula 1 and maybe GT cars in the ALMS. They are made from small ester molecules: bottom-up refining rather than top-down cracking. Most consumer synthetics are partial synthetics (like Brad Penn) which have some of those ester oils added as part of the zinc/phosphorous/etc. package.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 04-15-2010, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50
Old 04-15-2010, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: