Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to sprbxr
Race engine specs...suggestions?

In the process of building a 3.6 engine for my racecar. There are a lot of variables I have not decided on. Any suggestions? For starters, I am not made of money so the sky is not the limit. This is what I have thus far:

3.6 964 engine
Carrillo stock length rods
JE pistons
Sequential EFI
plastic 964 manifold or Carrara intake or 964 Aluminum or some kind of homebrew intake I can fab
ARP studs etc
I am fabbing up some headers for center mount single turbo (size/type TBD)
Twin Turbo is an option since I am fabbing up headers but my current EFI system is only capable of one O2 input.
Cams: TBD
Heads: 964 with stock size valves but swapped for turbo application, twin plugged
Remote scavenge pump and cooler for turbo
930, 964 or GT3 oil pump
Full bay single in/out IC (I can modify this to dual in single out for TT)

Car weighs 2300lbs, has a G50/52, full 935 style suspension, JRZ remotes, TTbrakes, front mounted oil tank and cooler etc

I would like to be around 550rwhp.

Let's hear some ideas.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Bump for my old buddy, Justin.
58 DKW Universal - Baby Crap Yellow/Beige (sold)
Old 10-12-2009, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mike
You get that 3.3 built? I am finally back to Porsches...
Old 10-12-2009, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You bet. Thanks for the great parts. Been running strong.
58 DKW Universal - Baby Crap Yellow/Beige (sold)
Old 10-12-2009, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like a really nice setup

On the heads you didn't mention port and polish work. My biggest regret when building my 3.4L motor was not having the heads done by a top guy - maybe look into having someone like Xtreme heads in FL do some portwork on the heads along with the twinplug conversion you mentioned. Thats where all the real power is made.

Cams should be something like a GT2 Evo grind or maybe have Elgin custom grind cams to match your particular head flow numbers.

The plastic 3.6 manifold should be fine for your power goals but to make power past 7000rpm you might need to go individual throttle bodies which are pricey.

550whp at 1 bar is pretty easily attainable on a 3.6 race spec single turbo with EFI. Let us know what you come up with
Old 10-12-2009, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

No advice Justin, but good luck!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Personally, I would start with the cam. Get with someone like Performance Developments who designs, installs and runs their own cams. Be very specific about what you expect from the engine and have a cam ground. I would then go to Xtreme Cylinder heads and tell them about the cam specs and what you are going to do with the motor. Then, its off to JB Racing with the previous specs to order the JE pistons and their cylinders. While I am talking to PD and JB, I would ask about which crank (964/993/etc) and what specs (journal size, stroke, etc).

Unless you are a total DIY guy, you might want to find what local turbo tuners are using for ECU's. In fact, I would try to find an air cooled turbo tuner - these are very different from nearly all other turbos. And for the record, getting the AFR's right from idle up to redline under WOT is not tuning - unless that is how you intend to drive the car.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

GT2 EVO cams
CT-61 or CT-63 turbo (compturbo dot com)
GT3 oil pump

Most of your horsepower is in the heads, and a good single turbo set up will be on par with most standard twin setups.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

DonE
Don't tell me to buy someone else's cams when I just bought yours. LOL. Get the check yet?

I am a DIY guy but I have a friend with an engine dyno and a chassis dyno.

I really don't want a high revving engine. I don't thing I want to rev past 7k.

Mike

I am glad you got it together.

Justin
Old 10-12-2009, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

What are the rules in the class you are looking to race? The last thing you want to do is build a $hit-hot motor but you can't compete or are bumped into a class that will require mega-bucks to build the rest of the car up.
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 10-13-2009, 02:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Classification is power to weight based. Might run a few PCA races but I will be in a GT class. Not really an issue for me as this is all for fun. Expensive fun but fun none-the-less.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
+1,000,000 on finding a great tuner before choosing your ECU. FYI, most great tuners use Motec. Unfortunately you can easily hit $6-7K for a Motec ECU, harness, and options.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125shifter View Post
+1,000,000 on finding a great tuner before choosing your ECU. FYI, most great tuners use Motec. Unfortunately you can easily hit $6-7K for a Motec ECU, harness, and options.
In an ideal world MOTEC would be great but I already have the EFI system that came with the car. I bought a racecar that needed the engine refreshed so it came with a system that I will have to work with.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprbxr View Post
DonE
Don't tell me to buy someone else's cams when I just bought yours. LOL. Get the check yet?

I am a DIY guy but I have a friend with an engine dyno and a chassis dyno.

I really don't want a high revving engine. I don't thing I want to rev past 7k.

Mike

I am glad you got it together.

Justin
Tell you what - you double check on the cams you need (talk to experts, not internet forums) and if mine aren't what you need, I'll gladly return your check. I'll be happy to hold your check until you're completely convinced these are right or wrong. Cams are critical and I want you to have the right cams - my cam change was remarkable.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
Tell you what - you double check on the cams you need (talk to experts, not internet forums) and if mine aren't what you need, I'll gladly return your check. I'll be happy to hold your check until you're completely convinced these are right or wrong. Cams are critical and I want you to have the right cams - my cam change was remarkable.
The GT2 cams should do the trick. I was only messin' with ya DonE.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

I know, but I'm serious though. You won't hurt my feelings by checking a bit more. I've had at least 5 cams in my car until I found the perfect set (perfect so far, that is). In my opinion, cams are that important....
Old 10-13-2009, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprbxr View Post
Classification is power to weight based. Might run a few PCA races but I will be in a GT class. Not really an issue for me as this is all for fun. Expensive fun but fun none-the-less.
If this is the case and you want to be as competitive as you can, you might want to build the widest HP band you can. Maybe using programmable boost control that pushes boost on the lower rpm and pulls it back in the upper rpm. A cam that is effecent at lower rpm might be a better fit with this strategy.

It would be interesting to build a motor that makes say 400 hp from 4500 to 6500rpm depending on the power to weight class. This would give you a much higher average HP with the same peak HP as others in your class.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: