Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cluster f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Sorry, could you really not see the way this was going to go when he clicked BIN and announced he'd sell them for $100 each + shipping to the forum members?

Let me help you out:

$899 + 31 shipping = $930.

13 * 100 (you pay shipping on top) = 1300.

1300 - 930 = $370 profit over and above a free copy for the buyer.

Classy.
Very poorly managed.

The way I see it:

I commited to one book ,post#47.

John came in at #50

John is placed first on stand-by

Books go to e-bay...

WTF???

t9
Old 10-21-2009, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

That's what shocks me, frankly. Selling out one's good name for $370?

This post started as a "hey guys, lets lock arms on this so I don't have to assume the risk of placing books if there isn't sufficient demand" ... to dollar signs when it became evident the sale would be fully subscribed.

Personally, I'm going to pay $115 to buy from the original source of the books. I just don't deal with people like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Sorry, could you really not see the way this was going to go when he clicked BIN and announced he'd sell them for $100 each + shipping to the forum members?

Let me help you out:

$899 + 31 shipping = $930.

13 * 100 (you pay shipping on top) = 1300.

1300 - 930 = $370 profit over and above a free copy for the buyer.

Classy.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
I paid Jeff $100 for the book, plus a little extra for 2-3 day shipping. I got my book within days after sending my PayPal payment to Jeff. The book was very well wrapped and had never been opened (mint condition). I thought this was a great opportunity to get a sold out book by John Starkey that is no longer available from the publisher. The book is awesome and really has some interesting photos of the old turbo cars. I'm very happy with the way this was handled by Jeff, and I don't begrudge him for making a profit for his time and handling. No one was forced to pay the price they did. I'm just happy that I was able to get a copy of this hard to find book...period.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
As the starter of this entire thread let me just say that I greatly sympathize with the sentiment that has been expressed over the last day or so. I came very close to telling Jeff to pound sand. However, I chose to get the book instead.

I guess I'd rather have the book than stand on principle since I knew that he was just concerned about the profit anyway. I knew it wouldn't matter in the least to him.

For grins and just to see what kind of guy he really was I asked if he would cut me a deal on the price since I found the auction and posted the thread in the first place. His response......$100

Pretty much says it all.

I learned my lesson though, next time I'll hit the buy it now first and then post....

Enjoy your books everybody....
'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 10-22-2009, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

juicersr

PM sent regarding cost and availability.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Dixie Boost Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slantnose Steve View Post
I paid Jeff $100 for the book, plus a little extra for 2-3 day shipping. I got my book within days after sending my PayPal payment to Jeff. The book was very well wrapped and had never been opened (mint condition). I thought this was a great opportunity to get a sold out book by John Starkey that is no longer available from the publisher. The book is awesome and really has some interesting photos of the old turbo cars. I'm very happy with the way this was handled by Jeff, and I don't begrudge him for making a profit for his time and handling. No one was forced to pay the price they did. I'm just happy that I was able to get a copy of this hard to find book...period.
87 911 Carrera Coupe
87 911 Turbo / 94 911 Turbo 3.6
Old 10-23-2009, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

juicersr,

Your book was sent Saturday, tried to PM but got an error message.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-26-2009, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

I too had thought of the buy it now. Glad now that I didn't as the logistics and time for a project like this seemed to be beyond my ability at that time. Maybe $370 for the packaging& materials, the trips to the PO and PM's sent/recieved and everything else involved seems excessive to some . The adage the right ( wrong ) person for the right job seems appropriate in this case. I recieved mine for the $100 and am glad I did not hit the BIN button.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
I'll also take one if you have one left.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krk View Post
Jeff,

Payment by PMO went out today. Thanks for orchestrating this!

kim.
Book arrived today -- well wrapped and perfect condition. Thx again!

kim.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

My also arrived today. Awesome book.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Just an FYI...I have one mint copy of this book left if anyone may be interested. The price is $115.00 which includes Priority Mail shipping in the U.S. with Delivery Confirmation and Insurance.

Those of you who have followed this thread probably know that the book that was placed on eBay sold for $147.50 plus shipping.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-30-2009, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tatalovich View Post
Just an FYI...I have one mint copy of this book left if anyone may be interested. The price is $115.00 which includes Priority Mail shipping in the U.S. with Delivery Confirmation and Insurance.

Those of you who have followed this thread probably know that the book that was placed on eBay sold for $147.50 plus shipping.

Thanks,
Tom
The copy of this book I ordered from Tom on Wednesday AM turned up today. Perfect condition.

Thanks Tom!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

My last mint copy has been sold, thanks to all and I hope you enjoy the book!

Tom
Old 10-31-2009, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Got mine a few days ago. Great book! Thanks Jeff.
Eric

81 911SC Coupe Guards Red, Stock. "Zippy"
Old 10-31-2009, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

My book arrived over a week ago as promised in new condition for the price that was agreed on.
Thanks Jeff
Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

if you bought the lot
i'd love to buy at least one from you.
please

thanks

Craig
Old 11-20-2009, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

ok, perhaps I'm unworthy.........

i am certainly late to the party in only now really appreciating the late 70's 935's.
If any of you would consider selling the book you recently purchased after you've had a chance to read it, I'd appreciate hearing form you.

Spuggy, any chance i can call in an old skydiving favor (ARCH!!!!!!!!!!), and at least get a chance to read the book once on loan from you??????????????

cheers

Craig

cfenstermaker@aperio.com
Old 11-22-2009, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgfen View Post
Spuggy, any chance i can call in an old skydiving favor (ARCH!!!!!!!!!!), and at least get a chance to read the book once on loan from you??????????????

cheers

Craig

cfenstermaker@aperio.com
No problem mate. Check your PM's.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

A couple of months ago I was contacted to see if I had any more copies of this book, and although I do not have any of the mint copies that were sold previously, I do have three here that I would be willing to sell:

1) I have a copy that, if memory serves me correctly, was used as a display copy. It is missing the dust jacket and has been looked through, probably several times. There are no pages sticking together, but it does have some pages that have been affected by moisture...perhaps humidity. I would like to get $45.00 for it.

2) I have a "Mint" copy, but the dust jacket has some damage on the back side. It had stuck to the dust jacket of another book and part of the backside of the jacket in the upper right hand corner has had the glossy part of the cover peeled away from the paper. I would like to get $85.00 for it.

3) I have one "Mint" copy that has been signed by John Starkey. I would like to get $225.00 for it. FYI, the last mint signed copy that I sold went for more.

I will ship USPS Priority mail, insured and with delivery confirmation to the U.S. only. Shipping cost is $15.00 additional per book, unless someone wants to buy more than one at a time. I do accept PayPal.

If anybody is interested, please PM me...Thanks.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: