Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Silly newb ? 87 930

I am helping my neighbor with his 87. I pulled the IC and plenum off and fixed some vac leaks that were hopefully causing no idle.

replaced all the orange rings and a few hoses.

Buttoned back up and spins over but no start.

removed the green plug on the CIS flapper - fuel pumps both seem to be running, starts for a second then quits and will not re-fire.

I have the air box off....that wont affect starting will it? I was thinking some of the lines and hoses that connect to the air box might be a big air leak or something??

I need to check for spark I guess and hook up the gauges and check the fuel pressure...

Any other thoughts...its been sitting for 3 or 4 weeks just need to get the CIS primed?
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
beancounter

Can't hurt to throw the CIS gauges on just to check pressures at this point. Its easy since the airbox is already removed.

The symptoms still sound like a massive airleak somewhere...
Old 10-10-2009, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Did you put the intercooler back on?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes I put the intercooler back on, however not confident with the seal from the cast pipe at the cold side of the turbo (runs up to the IC). It never seemed to snap in. It snapped in on the intercooler end but not the turbo end. Thought If I could get it running I could check for a boost leak there.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

Try starting it while someone holds the CIS plunger down just a hair. if it starts and runs with someone holding down the plate slightly, then you have a massive air leak as Jacob said. we've been there done that at carolina motorsports park.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 10-10-2009, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ok will do in a second.

Just checked for spark and its flashing the timing light.

What are the 4 hoses that connect to the air box?

1.) to WUR
2.) Large breather return from oil tank
3.) medium attaches up near CIS plunger???
4.) medium attaches near large breather.

Those Ok vented to atmosphere or do I need to put the box back on? Cant imagine it would matter..
Old 10-10-2009, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Turbo Hooligan

they're fine vented to atmosphere. I wouldn't worry about the airbox until you have everything sorted

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 10-10-2009, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

OK I Got It! Using your advice I got it running opening the flapper, then I found my leak.

Actually this was probably the problem all along.

The cast pipe that comes up from the cool side into the IC was just flopping around.

There must be a piece missing because it is not long enough to fit down on the Turbo snugly.

I am going to check the PET and see if I can see it.

Anybody got a picture of what these parts look like? Its got to be some kind of gasket/grommet in addition to the orange ring.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?command=show_parts_image&Headers_Id=37181&Line_Item_Number=20

This part is not there, and was not there when I took it apart..no wonder.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

You don't have to have that piece in there. I took mine out years ago.

Make sure the turbo is clocked right, the up pipe is in the right orientation )spin it around just a little to seat it properly) and the intercooler is down all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elombard View Post
Old 10-11-2009, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

WOW...

OK running to the garage.

Is the correct order of assembly then to put the up pipe on the turbo and then the IC on? I put it on the IC first.

It does not seem like the up pipe fits well on the turbo. I am going to post some pictures.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

WOW...

OK running to the garage.

Is the correct order of assembly then to put the up pipe on the turbo and then the IC on? I put it on the IC first.

It does not seem like the up pipe fits well on the turbo. I am going to post some pictures.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Up pipe first and then set the intercooler on.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
A930Rocket is correct, #20 is often MIA. Don't need it.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Here is some pics of the up pipe and the end of the turbo.

This Turbo is brand new...did the shop put the wrong one on???

Or is this all you need to get a good seal, it does not really "pop" on?

ugghhh...the orange doughnut goes on the turbo first and THEN push the up pipe down on top.. doesnt it....
Old 10-11-2009, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

yes, the orange O ring should fit in a groove around the turbo.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

I may be wrong though...I haven't fooled with any KKK turbos in 9 years now.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Banned

That is not where/how the orange O'ring is supposed to be fitted - the O'ring is supposed to go in a groove on the exit of the compressor spout (on the turbo) - the the "up pipe" snuggly fits OVER the O'ring. . . if that turbo is not a 3LDZ (the OEM turbo) but is a K27 varient, then you will need to buy the aluminum adaptor that enables you to fit the up pipe to the turbo (the K27s to not have the groove for the O'ring) . . .

I believe that RarelyL8 (a member on this board that posts often) sells the adaptors and probably has a pic of one you could look at . . .

Installing the adaptor and O'ring can be very frustrating as the fit is VERY snug - you will need plenty of lube, patience and some spare O'rings (as there is a good chance you will rip a few until you get the feel for it) . . .
Old 10-11-2009, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Banned

You also need to use two O'rings with the adaptor - one goes on the inside groove of it and one on the outside groove . . .
Old 10-11-2009, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Everybody has it right. Looks like the turbo has been swapped out. This could e why it's short? Don't they all have a "lip" at the top of them? Makes the adapter a b*tch to get off once it's on there.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: