Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

just purchased a cold air intake and need to know where to connect these hoses

Hi just purchased a cold air intake and do not kow where to connect the 2 hoses in the front of the stock one . my intake only has two hose connections in the back and none in the front . on my stock one in the front there is one to the WUR and one goes under the engine neer the distributor ? what do i do with thise 2 hoses?
Thanks
Erick
Old 10-10-2009, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

the small hose is the vent from the WUR which vents gas fumes back in to the intake. The large hose is the vent from the turbo oil sump. If you put headers on the car the new sump tank will not have a vent line.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 10-11-2009, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

so can I leave these 2 to the atmosphere and not conect them to the air filter?
Thanks for your help.
Erick
Old 10-11-2009, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Buy a small K&N filter from Summit Racing for the hose on the left. For the WUR atmosphere hose on the right, I just bought a 90 degree elbow and put that on the end of the hose (the end that went in to the orig air filter housing), then rotated the hose so the tip of the elbow pointed down to keep water out.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

On the left is the small K&N attached to the turbo tank vent hose, and on the right you can see the 90 degree elbow attached to the end of the WUR vent line...

Old 10-11-2009, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

great thanks
any sideafects to vent the one on the right ?does it suck air or push air?
Thanks
Old 10-11-2009, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

pushes air. and if the diaphram on WUR ruptures in blows fuel out
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 10-11-2009, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

If you can't vent the WUR vent to the new air box, can you vent it out the back in some way that will not allow the gas to hit the hot engine, headers, etc.?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

wow, i never thought about that, i guess i need to rethink my wur venting!
Old 10-11-2009, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

That is interesting. My mechanist chose to close the vent from the wur. Is that a bad idea and should I restore the vent (to atmosphere or to the airbox)?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Yes.

Quote:
That is interesting. My mechanist chose to close the vent from the wur. Is that a bad idea and should I restore the vent (to atmosphere or to the airbox)?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yes.

Quote:
Old 10-12-2009, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

For my BMC air filter, I used a barbed hose fitting. One end is a NPT that I threaded into the bottom. I would think you could do the same (perhaps on from the bottom), but maybe add a little JB Weld to secure it.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Ok, I will follow your advice then. Can you elaborate on why it is necessary/advisable to vent the wur hose? I have driven about 1.500miles since the hose was shut close and hope I have not damaged my WUR. Thank you again!
Mathieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Yes.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The WUR/control pressure regulator should be vented so it can breathe a little internally as the mechanical boost pressure enrichment function works on the internal diaphram in the bottom part of the WUR as it was designed.

If it was sealed the expansion of heated air inside the WUR would act on the diaphram and it wouldn't work right.
Also, if the metal fuel metering disc valve in the top part of the WUR sprang a leak like they eventually will do because it is a mechanical device then the resulting fuel leak needs a place to go. The WUR vent line is the escape route for fuel if that happens and a hose back to the air filter is the safest place to route it, and it would be immediately obvious something is wrong from the way the engine would run, smell, and cough black smoke if that happened without an immediate risk of fire.

Anotherwords sealing the vent line on the WUR is an incredibly stupid thing to do.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: