Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
89 930.

Garage
Question Pre-ordering spare parts. Just in case.

Hi:
I have an 89 930, i was wondering what parts would be good to order before they die.
Or before they are no longer available?
I understand the normal tune-up items but is there anything else?

I hear the fuel pump (front) is a good idea and some fuses (red).
What else.

Thx in advance.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Canucks Fan

Benny
I don't know what parts are on a short list for availability but what I have been doing is slowly picking up some "project stoppers", you know the part you don't have that puts the project on hold while you wait for stuff, as an example I bought the door membrains to reseal up the door panels if you have to go in there, it was about 12 bucks for both and I don't mind keeping that around and hope I never have to use them. I know the center rear reflector is un available and that makes me wonder about turn signal and brake light lenes and how long they will be still around.
Another thing I've been doing because of our good dollar is buying parts for my future front
and rear suspension rebuilds, this won't happen till the winter of 10-11 but I figure by that time the Yank buck will be back to the usual 25% on the Canuck buck so I'm actually saving 25% on the job by buying the parts now.
I have an 87 930 and have had it for 14 months, I stay stock for the most part, I've put on a 930S wheel, a RarlyL8 muffler and pipe* and a Wevo short shift kit, that I will install ASAP and that is probably going to be it, well maybe the RarlyL8 headers but I have a long term plan for my car as a sunny day daily driver.
To try and buy what may be obsolete parts in 2 - 5 - 10 years is gonna be hard to do and costly, get a plan for what you want your car to be that fits with how you are going to use it and then pick up the stuff that fits the plan when it fits the budget.
There's always going to be the aftermarket suppliers and there is always used so I wouldn't worry too much about that 1 missing part
IMHO
* Get the pipe, its better than advertized
Old 10-11-2009, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_morrison57 View Post
I have an 87 930 and have had it for 14 months, I stay stock for the most part, I've put on a 930S wheel, a RarlyL8 muffler and pipe* and a Wevo short shift kit, that I will install ASAP and that is probably going to be it,
No no no...you're missing the best part of 930 ownership....sliding down the slippery slope of "mo' is betta". If you're going to go to the expense of a really nice RarlyL8 muffler and headers, but still keeping the stock 3LDZ turbo and not installing an intercooler to replace the stock unit, then you're selling yourself short on what you can really achieve regarding performance gains. Come on, what's a couple grand more, especially with your exchange rate? My car is a sunny day driver too...and on a sunny day (especially a cool one like today) it rocks!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There you go Houghton. trying to corrupt some poor guy to join your habit. Shame on ya !!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
There you go Houghton. trying to corrupt some poor guy to join your habit. Shame on ya !!!!

Cole
OK, I'm hanging my head here....I need to go to more PA meetings to help with my addiction.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
WOW,
One reply?
Is it a silly question?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Benny, there are no silly questions...just those that are hard to answer. If you're looking for stuff to put in your on-board emergency breakdown kit, that's one thing we can answer. But predicting what may become NLA is a tougher nut.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
No no no...you're missing the best part of 930 ownership....sliding down the slippery slope of "mo' is betta". If you're going to go to the expense of a really nice RarlyL8 muffler and headers, but still keeping the stock 3LDZ turbo and not installing an intercooler to replace the stock unit, then you're selling yourself short on what you can really achieve regarding performance gains. Come on, what's a couple grand more, especially with your exchange rate? My car is a sunny day driver too...and on a sunny day (especially a cool one like today) it rocks!
Never sell yourself short with a 930, once you listen to that muffler, your gonna start to wonder how much faster would she spool with a k27 or a ball bearing turbo, and how much hp you could gain by getting a long neck IC and getting rid of the bypass assembly. the you might want some detonation insurance and twin plugging the heads is great for that. since your pulling the heads you can make her a 3.4, oh the cams are already off, might as well go for those gt2 evo cams.

I should've just become a heroin addict. It'd have been cheaper.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 10-12-2009, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: