Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to sprbxr
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokher racing View Post
Nice looking intercooler! You dont want to know how much I have in my intercooler setup This pic is before polishing of all the piping and cooler or cleaning of wiring etc. Performance with my unit is pretty scary lol.
Saw one of those on a twin turbo big block Malibu yesterday. That car had 1100hp.

Justin
Old 10-15-2009, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
what? me worry?

More Mode goodies

Mode ITBs

Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 10-15-2009, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
Very sexy & expensive.

Supprised though to see was not made like a C2Turbo tank on the back and instead used and extra foot of plumbing back there.
Same thoughts by myself

Cannot understand the design of the TB side. I think, wherever port is, smooth shapes are the key, but this is with sharp edges and almost right-angled at the outlet of tank. Can't believe this supports flow. I am sure Porsche spent a lot of time in tank design. The goal is to connect core with TB the shortest and most flow keeping way and that's why the 965 IC looks like it looks

I am no engineer, but I don't think I am completely wrong. I am familiar with hydraulics and there exists a phenomenon called cavitation and this true for all fluids and in my eyes, air acts similar.

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 10-16-2009, 12:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Infidel

We've all experienced cavitation, when you have the window wound down a certain amount in a car travelling at a certain speed, and you get that wab, wab, wab type noise that echoes in your ears. Usually happens when a rear window is half open and travelling at motorway speed
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 10-16-2009, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Now you guys getting way too technical for me. I'm sure there is a better design than this one but I'm not an engineer. I thought that this design was to maximize the usage of the entire core and to accommodate the OE air box. That's good enough for me. :-)
Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

"I thought that this design was to maximize the usage of the entire core and to accommodate the OE air box"

Nice intercooler and plenty expensive, but from looking at your first photo there's no room for the "OE airbox"

The OE airbox doesn't cover the top of the fuel head, it curves around the front of it and there is no where near enough room for it to fit between the back side or rear end tank of that intercooler and the front of the CIS fuel head.
No room for the wiper motor either if you want to keep that.

There is a small hand made aluminum airbox or K&N cone air cleaner mount on the top of the fuel head in that picture. The relatively thin aluminum pipe that is between the fuel head and the back of the intercooler is for the crankcase ventilation hose connection from the oil tank.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffighter View Post
Same thoughts by myself

Cannot understand the design of the TB side. I think, wherever port is, smooth shapes are the key, but this is with sharp edges and almost right-angled at the outlet of tank. Can't believe this supports flow. I am sure Porsche spent a lot of time in tank design. The goal is to connect core with TB the shortest and most flow keeping way and that's why the 965 IC looks like it looks

I am no engineer, but I don't think I am completely wrong. I am familiar with hydraulics and there exists a phenomenon called cavitation and this true for all fluids and in my eyes, air acts similar.
Yes, He copied and expanded on the C2Turbos design on the front but did not do so in the back.

Yes, the end tanks design is important to distribution across the core but the back can taper from end to center just like the front dose. The main thing is that the tank dose not create restriction to the tank extremes and that volume is not excessive so velocity changes quickly or unnecessarily I am thinking.

Having that extra foot of turns is just not what one would expect for that kind of money. Porsche's TB side is a much more appropriate design. Sorry, did not want to go there.

Only thing I can think is he intended it for an EFI conversion and adapted it to CIS.

Still, it dose look nice and I am sure it is more efficient than most aftermarket CIS inter-coolers with its wide, thin, short run core layout which probably not get any better.

If he ever decides to go EFI this IC will easily be adapted to a Carrera, C2 or other upgrade manifold.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

When I rebuilt this engine, I am intended to go EFI route. I am glad to hear that this intercooler is easily adapted to EFI conversion. Very interesting to learn more about the intercooler design. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

For the money spent, I'd a least expect some custom mandrel bending, seamless pipes on that backside area. Also appears to have numerous tweaked fins on the core. I mean, the thing should be like perfect for 6k. That's just stupid money for an intercooler, IMHO. I'm still shaking my head at the price of that thing.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Speculate all you want, you can't tell a thing by looking at it. Measured restriction and temperature drop is where it's at.

For the haters of Dai's discharge pipe think about the convoluted "S" pipe feeding the turbo compressor.

Jim, I think Dai allready has the custom air box and filter.

Last edited by Jim2; 10-16-2009 at 04:46 PM..
Old 10-16-2009, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I'm sure if you guys would just give Bob a call he would be very interested in your opinions on how he should design his intercoolers.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Not THAT is funny!
Old 10-16-2009, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I know it was a mistake to post pictures on here. I don't care too much about the technical side of the design. I like the intercooler and yes it was a stupid amount of money but whatever Bob design, I trust his experience and knowledge.

Rarly8, I think you should come up with your own intercooler after you are done with your headers project. We need a custom job on this item and you definitely have the skill to weld one up to offer us here on this board.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Dai,

Just wanted you to know I really appreciated your posting the pics. I meant it when I said Bob is the best. He has forgotten more then most tuners even know.

It does not matter what you paid for it, anything is worth exactly what "you"
are willing to pay for it. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could. Sometimes it gets a little like a who has the biggest dick contest on here. All these guys really are good people and opinions are like a$$ holes, everyone has one.

When your as old as I am you find out it doesn't matter if it works for someone else or not as long as it works for you. It's the nicest intercooler I've ever seen and your still a very lucky man to have it. Enjoy it and let the rest of the world kiss your a$$.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Thank you Old Wise Cole. :-)

I am very excited and do feel lucky to have this intercooler in my 930. I also have waited 7 months for this item to arrive after placing the order. Bob was so busy with other projects that this intercooler got pushed aside. I almost canceled the order but waited patiently for it. I have saved my money in order to have this piece of jewel for my baby. I just wanted to share some pictures like a proud daddy showing off his baby to the world. I am not here to brag at all. If I have come across that way to anyone, I do apologize. Bob products are not cheap at all but in this hobby of ours, who can honestly said that it is.

Last edited by Dai; 10-16-2009 at 09:50 PM..
Old 10-16-2009, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
dai,

just wanted you to know i really appreciated your posting the pics. I meant it when i said bob is the best. He has forgotten more then most tuners even know.

It does not matter what you paid for it, anything is worth exactly what "you"
are willing to pay for it. I would buy one in a heartbeat if i could. Sometimes it gets a little like a who has the biggest dick contest on here. All these guys really are good people and opinions are like a$$ holes, everyone has one.

When your as old as i am you find out it doesn't matter if it works for someone else or not as long as it works for you. It's the nicest intercooler i've ever seen and your still a very lucky man to have it. Enjoy it and let the rest of the world kiss your a$$.

Cole
LOL....+1..my comments were because I have designed in AutoCAD a few 930 intercoolers (actually spent 4-5months finalizing several designs, which two companies wanted to buy my design) so have been down this road plus lab tested my intercoolers. My comments were my own experiences and I have nothing but utter respect for Bob Holcombe and yourself. If you do a search you can see my intercooler design on my car. Congrats it is a beautiful piece. If I had that MODE intercooler on my junky 930 it would double the value of it!

Last edited by slow&rusty; 10-17-2009 at 06:50 AM..
Old 10-17-2009, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
My car has a Mode full width intercooler too and I have never regretted the money I spent there. Just a beautiful product with performance to match.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

GT2EvoGuy,
After you sent me a picture of your intercooler and I believe you've convinced me to saved up my money. It didn't take much convincing on your part though. :-)
Old 10-17-2009, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Sorry for the nit pick's.

That thing is frigen beautiful!

It is likely much more efficient than anything on the market and that is what matters. I suspect most aftermarket IC's are in the 50-60% efficiency. I suspect his is over 90% efficient with a very low pressure drop.

The end tank designs and core layout is absolutely perfect.

Bob is brilliant and I am sure he had a reason for the plumbing on the TB side (maybe allows a 5% longer core run or somthing).

We are mere mortals compared to him.

Enjoy.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Intercooler project

Thought I would chime in on the intercooler thing. A few more pics for you viewing pleasure.
I am in the process of modifying this Blown 6 intercooler to work with my EFI conversion. It has cast end tanks. My intake is a 3.2 normally aspirated manifold with a cut and rotated Throttle body. I was trying to avoid turns and tubing length.
Many hours spent forming/fitting the inlet and outlet for this.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: