Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Mode Intercooler - a work of art

I just want to post some pictures of my recent purchase of Bob Holcombe's full-bay intercooler. The end tank is cnc from a solid block of aluminum. This is by far the most expensive and the most beautiful intercooler I have ever seen on a 930. A beautiful work of art. Enjoy the photos.

The following are from Mode shop.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Wow, that looks nice. Where does one purchase Mode products?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Very nice indeed. Those Wiggins clamps arent cheap!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Infidel

Now we are talking!!!!! That is the best looking intercooler i have seen on any 930 yet!! Do you know what cores they use? Are they from Bell, Marston etc etc? Would be great to know. Would also be great to know what the air temp is going into the throttle body compared to ambient. How much was it?
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 10-15-2009, 12:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
Wow, that looks nice. Where does one purchase Mode products?
At a guess i would say here MODE : Products Core
or here Services : Mode Inc. - MotorSport Design - Porsche Motorsport, Manufacturing, Fabrication
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 10-15-2009, 01:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I agree 100%. That is an absolutely stunning intercooler one of the nicest to appear on a 930 as you say. Can you share with us what something like this costs?

The fact that the tanks are CNC only makes it a cleaner "look" and there are no benefits over hand cut \ shaped tank. I am sure it saves time too...program the CNC and walk away and just check on it periodically.

The Wiggins clamp is a nice touch. The pipes especially the one with a 2 bolt flange is also very neat.

That's cool that Bob has an engine in the shop to dp his trial "fit" tests.

Congrats beautiful piece.
Yasin
Old 10-15-2009, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I don't know which core Mode used to be honest. The cost everyone asked? I paid 7k Cdn. and I got through a tuning shop in town so they have their cut in it too. I know it is extravagant for street car but intercooler is the main feature you see in the 930 engine when the lid is up. I love the look of the intercooler and when I saw it on another 930 in town here; I said one day I have to have it. :-)

The benefits from cnc method is not just look, the air flow is much smoother and easier to control. This intercooler is lighter than the half-bay B6 that I had before. The shape of end tank is shaped beautifully. This is the ultimate intercooler for 930 in my opinion. As for testing, I don't have any data to share with you guys. Sorry.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

That is AWESOME!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai View Post
I paid 7k Cdn.
Very nice piece...scary price.

And here I was thinking that the P&Cs I just bought for my rebuild were expensive. Thanks to this post, I have now been "recalibrated"
Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Also keep in mind that when I purchased this intercooler the exchange rate was much lower than it is now. At the time, it was 86 cents US to one dollar Canadian.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Very sexy & expensive.

Supprised though to see was not made like a C2Turbo tank on the back and instead used and extra foot of plumbing back there.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know which core Mode used to be honest. The cost everyone asked? I paid 7k Cdn. and I got through a tuning shop in town so they have their cut in it too. I know it is extravagant for street car but intercooler is the main feature you see in the 930 engine when the lid is up. I love the look of the intercooler and when I saw it on another 930 in town here; I said one day I have to have it. :-)

The benefits from cnc method is not just look, the air flow is much smoother and easier to control. This intercooler is lighter than the half-bay B6 that I had before. The shape of end tank is shaped beautifully. This is the ultimate intercooler for 930 in my opinion. As for testing, I don't have any data to share with you guys. Sorry.
Air flow has "no control in the core or tank", it has a path that can be impacted by the design of the IC. I have lab tested many intercoolers (4 or 5 on a 930 alone) over the years many factors contribute to smooth flow of movement of air:
1) IC cores and tanks
2) Dia. of pipes (material as well)
3) No of elbows (turns and twists)
4) Distance travelled

A hand made end tank will flow equally well as your CNC one. The CNC tanks requires much less time, effort and material (and potentially look sexier..as evidenced by yours). Want trick end tanks, polish the inside of the tank to a perfect mirror!

Our car's ultra small, compact and very hot engine bay sadly dictate the IC design and location, tying our hands and the limiting the choices - frustrating to a ghastly level (especially if you want to keep the air conditioning).

I have never been shy spending money on my car but I cannot justify $7KCdn on an IC but I applaud your efforts to have a beautiful yet 100% functional piece on your car - as you say "possibly the finest 930 intercooler".

Win-win all around to keep our great vendors in business, support the economy and you end up with a truly fantastic intercooler.
Thanks for sharing.
Yasin
Old 10-15-2009, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

beancounter

Quote:
Also keep in mind that when I purchased this intercooler the exchange rate was much lower than it is now. At the time, it was 86 cents US to one dollar Canadian.
Ok, so its 6k americano then...still scary.

Not judging your decision, believe me...in noooo position to judge. We all share the same sickness here. It is sexy as can be. Enjoy!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Dai,

The best is always extra and Bob "is" the best. The quality, detail, and real world application of his creations is unparalleled. I'm jealous as hell and your are one lucky man.

A $7,000 intercooler is not expensive, Chemotherapy is expensive, 3 times a month for 6 months at $16,000 a visit. Exactly why I can't afford Bob's creations.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

If I had it to spend, I'd have no problem laying down 7k for that work of art...but, I'm poor.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 10-15-2009, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Dai,

The best is always extra and Bob "is" the best. The quality, detail, and real world application of his creations is unparalleled. I'm jealous as hell and your are one lucky man.

A $7,000 intercooler is not expensive, Chemotherapy is expensive, 3 times a month for 6 months at $16,000 a visit. Exactly why I can't afford Bob's creations.

Cole
Cole, I am with you on this. I am truly sorry to hear that you have to shelled out that much money for health related issue. We Canadian is truly blessed for not worrying about medical expenses such as your. As for being poor, I am poor now because of spending my hard earned money for my 930 sickness. I have to stop this madness and get back to a normal life soon.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
Supprised though to see was not made like a C2Turbo tank on the back and instead used and extra foot of plumbing back there.
My thoughts too.. I see a lot of ICs use this method and I'm just not sure why... Incoming charge comes in on left.. flows through core and exits on right and into plumbing to tb.

Why not exit in center directly to tb minus the extra plumbing?

- Right side exit ensures left to right push for full flow through core?

I'm just asking.. been curious about this.

Dai: the IC is gorgeous and Mode ain't no joke..

Cole930: Good to hear from you man.. hope your doing good!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Nice looking intercooler! You dont want to know how much I have in my intercooler setup This pic is before polishing of all the piping and cooler or cleaning of wiring etc. Performance with my unit is pretty scary lol.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Strokher, is that the flux capacitor? Wow!!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

No it is the newer model lol
Old 10-15-2009, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: