Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sunday morning drive...

Hi all,

Took the 930 out for a nice Sunday morning drive. About 5 miles down the road I start smelling gas and immediately pull off the highway. Shut her down, get out and see gas dripping from under the rear of the car. Grab the fire extinguisher and wait a few minutes. I'm very lucky I didn't have a fire. I now need to diagnose the most likely causes and have been searching the forum for similar situations. Car is back home in the garage (flatbed). I'd really like your input on the best way to begin. The area around the airbox assembly behind the intercooler were fairly well soaked.

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

sounds like the diaphragm in your WUR went out. I had the exact same symptoms when my WUR gave up on me. gas smell, and a nice big gas leak running down the backside of the engine.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 10-18-2009, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

Good news is that its the perfect excuse to upgrade to the Brian Leask Adj. WUR or the Digital WUR.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 10-18-2009, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Old fuel lines?
Old 10-18-2009, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

With a cold engine and outside, jump the relays to get the pumps working and look for the leak. Could be the WUR, old fuel lines as mentioned or a loose fitting.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all the great input so far guys. I've removed the intercooler and airbox assmbly and have been digging around looking for anything obvious. Lines look good so far, but that's not saying much. A930Rocket, could you please tell me how to jump the relays to get pressure. I'm quickly reaching my very limited mechanical limits.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You have to jump two relays and if you jump the wrong pins you can melt wire insulation and burn things up under the relay panel before you realize it.

To make the pumps run while the engine is off can also turn the ignition on and remove the blue plug on the top back of the CIS air flow meter housing and the pumps will come on.
Might be a good idea to put some rags over the fuel lines and warm up regulator and fittings in case gas come spraying out while you are reaching back there.

If you have an assistant, remove the blue plug and then have them turn the ignition on while you watch the engine and fuel lines.
You can do that by yourself too.

Keep a fire extinguisher and ready to go garden hose nearby when working on this kind of stuff.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks JFairman! I'll give this a go later today and post what I've found.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Update: I removed the blue plug as JFairman suggested while the car was outside and cooled off. Had a friend turn the ignition to get the pumps running and found the leak immediately. It's the hose that comes off the top of the accumulator. While I'm grateful it wasn't the wur, this hose disappears down into the back of the compartment to, I suppose, the fuel pump. Anybody have experience replacing this line and is it a DIY?

You guys are great, thanks very much for the help.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I've never removed that line but it has crimped on fittings so you could remove it and take it to a hydraulic hose supply place and have them make up a new one using the fittings from your hose.

Or buy a new one.. removing and reinstalling it can be do it yourself.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: