Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

which sway bars?

i have a 1983 930 with stock sway bars. i did other suspension upgrades now i'm looking to upgrade the swaybars. are the weltmeisters good or do i need to go with high end tarret, trg, or smart units? i'd like to do the work myself and don't have welding capability so i'm trying to keep it simple at the same time. i do some track days and drive the car on the street mostly. any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Weltmeisters are the bottom of the barrel. I'd go with one if the other three first. No welding is needed. The rare bar is a snap. For the front, you'll need to drill a hole. Some remove the gas tank. I didn't. Just measure twice and drill once.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

so you're saying i can use the stock mounting point on the front a arm for the tarret or trg bars? no welding for the rear either?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Let me back up. I know the Weltmeister doesn't take welding and thought the others had the same type of mounts on the front control arms. The stock mounts are ususlly cut off. If the other sway bars do take welding on the front control arms, you might be able to either fab mounts like the Weltmeisters or buy the mount outright and use them to avoid welding.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just looked at the Tarett sway bars in the Pelican catalog. Looks like you could drill a hole in the bottom and mount with a bolt like the Weltmeisters "U-tab" kit. I imagine other to be the same.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
I went with the tarett bars, and yes you are supposed to weld the front sway bar mount to the lower control arms.

With the supplied mounting tab, I do not believe you would have room for any type of bolt head, it simply would not clear the hiem joint on the sway bar link.

Maybe build a slightly longer tab?

I'd just pull your control arms & take them to a good welder for the 5 minute weld job.

Mark
Old 10-24-2009, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

What torsion bars are you running?

What are you going to use the car for?

Is it stock weight or how light?

What size and tires?
Old 10-24-2009, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Smart racing sway bars require no welding as they dont use the u-tab mentioned. The front bars have a unique mount that bolts to the round diagonal tube on the a-arm instead. All anodized precise fitting machined pieces.
Also, they have several other design advantages over the other types mentioned. Like splined connections to the sway bars, and you can switch bars (sizes) between front and rear as they are interchangeable. Splined connections dont wear and start rocking like other types of connections to the lever arm hardware.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"

Last edited by fredmeister; 10-25-2009 at 07:16 AM..
Old 10-24-2009, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
DPHANS

DP Swaybars

Hi Gentlemen
This is my set up in the swaybar segment.
I use the "knife" type both in front and rear just for easy adjustment and possible to have a 100% lock up, I hope you understand, and also its Possible to adjust in the cockpit.

DPHANS

Old 10-25-2009, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

911st, i use the car for de's and street. i have 23mm torsion bars in front with 31mm in rear with adj. spring plates. tires are 245/40/17 front 315/35/17 rear hoosier r6's. the car has a full cage. the sway bars are the last things that remained stock. trying to do it myself without welding. i'll take a look at the smart bars to see if i need to weld. any additional info would be greatly appreciated. thanks, mick
Old 10-25-2009, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

My two cents.

You have a lot of tire stagger and should benefit from being able to stiffen up the rear. You probably have a 22mm stock front bar.

I may have forgotten the Smart Racing bars sizes however you might try leaving the stock front it in place and just getting a Smart Racing 27mm rear bar. set up This will allow you to adjust your suspension and not have to mess with removing the gas tank up front to install a front through the trunk bar.

Nice thing about the Smart units is you can later steep up to a 23 ft w your 27 rear. Or move the rear bar its self to the front for a 27 front and get the 31 for the rear.

You probably should add a brace to the stock rear sway bar mounts.

The best.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
My two cents.

You have a lot of tire stagger and should benefit from being able to stiffen up the rear. You probably have a 22mm stock front bar.

I may have forgotten the Smart Racing bars sizes however you might try leaving the stock front it in place and just getting a Smart Racing 27mm rear bar. set up This will allow you to adjust your suspension and not have to mess with removing the gas tank up front to install a front through the trunk bar.

Nice thing about the Smart units is you can later steep up to a 23 ft w your 27 rear. Or move the rear bar its self to the front for a 27 front and get the 31 for the rear.

You probably should add a brace to the stock rear sway bar mounts.

The best.
Good advice. that is why i suggested SRP bars in my post. You can switch front and rear bars because they are designed to be interchangeable. You will definitely not need to weld anything with front SRP bars.
i would definitely get the WEVO rear sway bar mounts installed as any larger bar in back will tear the factory mounts eventually. usually as a surprise to you at a de event.
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 10-26-2009, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

But if you get the WEVO mounts, they require welding and then you might as well get any that require it.

That said, if you track it, it will break the rear mounts eventually. So pay now or pay later.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

ROW 1983 turbos have 20mm sway bar front, and 18mm rear from factory. The most cost effective mod would be to put Carrera G50 bars (22/21mm front and rear); you would get most of the benefit of the weltmeister set up (22/22mm adustable) for cheap.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The rear mounts are notorious for stressing and cracking off, especiallly with the increased loads of a beefier rear bar. Then welding repair is a certainty. I'd recommend working with a shop or finding a Pelican that can do the welding work for you. If you are in San Diego or OC area, I'd do it for you, if you can be a little patient. If you are in the Long Beach Area, I know Milt would do it.

If it were me, I'd do it once and do it properly.

If you add an upgraded bar in the rear, I'd use the WEVO console mounts. On my car, I did upgrade the factory stock mounts with 1/8" plate, which has worked out fine. It was significant time to do it and they are not as stout as the WEVO solution.

Doug
Old 10-26-2009, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100sport View Post
ROW 1983 turbos have 20mm sway bar front, and 18mm rear from factory. The most cost effective mod would be to put Carrera G50 bars (22/21mm front and rear); you would get most of the benefit of the weltmeister set up (22/22mm adjustable) for cheap.
Good to know. Any Carrera front sway bar from 86 to 89 is 22mm.

I talked to ADCO about doing 1: (25mm) stock front and rears. They can do them in any size. They were going to do a custom stock style set for me for about $350. They can do 3/4, 7/8, 1, 1 1/8".

There 7/8's is bassicaly a 22m and would work well for the front and is a stock size. Could then have them make a 1" or 25mm stock style for the rear. They offered to put severl holes in it so I would have some adjust-ability.

If someone wants to follow this up I can pass along the contact info. Could be a nice product. Front and rear sway bars for under $400.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

a little addco swaybar trivia

ADDCO sway bars was origonally down at the end of a road in an industrial park in Lake Park, Florida just north of West Palm Beach.
Now I think they are in N. Carolina.

Back around 1982 I went there and met the owner, a niceguy and sports car enthusiast.. and bought front and rear 22mm sway bars for a BMW 2002 right there at something near wholesale.

Then went over to the North Palm Beach Chevy dealer parts dept and bought white colored urethane bushings for the swaybar links.
That was before those became popular in the aftermarket and believe it or not there no where to buy them other than the Chevy dealer.
They stocked them because they were standard equipment on the Z28 Camero back then.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

thanks for all the info guys. i'm definately going to get the wevo mounts welded in the rear. i guess at that point i might as well have the shop install the rear bar while their at it. i think i'll try do the front myself. it seems if i get the smart bar i won't have weld the bracket to the a arm. thanks again for the responses.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: