Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Poor hot running and starting

Hi I've got a 92 964 turbo.

It sat for 12 months whilst I waited to find time to put a clutch in it.

I put the clutch in and all back together started and ran great, good to driving it again!

I used it for a few short runs locally a few times just to make sure everything was well after it standing and then putting the new clutch in, all seemed fine.

I took it for a longer run (only 80 miles) one evening and all was good, parked and left it for 1 hour or so, went out in it to go get some food and it was running bad, coughing and backfiring all the time, if I held my foot down it would clear and eventually rev through but not happy.

I left it stand for a couple of hours then drove the 80 miles home again with no issues???

car stood for a few days, started great from cold, popped into town left it whilst in the shop for 10 mins and did not want to start again?

Struggled to get it home for 3 miles popping and banging lots of backfiring all the way.

It has been sat for 3 weeks until I had a chance to take a look today, I've checked for leaks around the intercooler, even sprayed carb cleaner, I'm pretty confidant there are no leaks, when I start it and drive from cold it runs and drives fine, as soon as it warms up it all goes wrong!!! leave it stand for an hour or so and starts and runs ok again.

Any ideas anyone?? I've tried searching and not come up with anything really that sounds like this problem!

Thanks

STEVE
Old 10-25-2009, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like fuel pressure or ignition.

It could be that something got gummed up during the storage so I'd start by checking the fuel system pressure, WUR cold pressure and hot pressure. This is done with a set of CIS gauges which are about $100 US. A search here should provide the design pressures.

If that tests good, try to find a CDI box you can swap out.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
My input

I would guess it is a fuel accumulator... but could be WUR (Warm Up Regulator) related.

If you have someone you know with a similar year (965 model) you could borrow both or one of these items to check if that is the issue.

On another note, where in Wales are you? My brother-in-law is from North Wales in Menai Bridge and I was just there a few months ago.

Best of luck in the hunt for the culprit.

Bryan
Old 10-25-2009, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hmmm accumulator seems to have been suggested by a few now between this thread and another thread I started in the 911 section, I need to find time to get out and check this, is the accumulator the same as on a early 90's 964? I may have one that I can try if it is.

Also would the problem not be there even when cold if it was the accumulator?

I will look into getting a set of gauges to test the pressures and report back with my findings.

Bryan, I'm in Mid Wales, about 120 or so miles south of your brother in law, has he got this Porsche disease as well?

Thanks for the suggestions keep them coming!
STEVE
Old 10-26-2009, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Greetings:

Same problem here, I had my car sitting for a long time. I replaced lots of parts-fuel accum. injectors, fuel pumps, fuel filter, plugs, ignition. The car ran well when getting it back from my wrench, but weeks later it would do the same symptoms what u r talking about. The fuel head was GUMMING UP. I don't drive the car often..Thats a problem. This weekend when driving, I felt the car wasn't pulling as strong and not surging like I want. On straightaways,-all out, the car felt like it was tripping/missing on the top end. Very frustrating...
Cheap solution MM-Marvel Mystery Oil. Mixed it with the gas. After approx-45min. of brisk(keep the rpms up) driving..Then it finally was an animal. Sounded mean and immed. power once on the pedal. When coming to a stop/neutral. The car had a nice rumble/shake in the cockpit.(cams). This is the car i remember.
Every fillup I put MM OIL in. Its worth it INMOP. If not, I want to throw rocks at my car and give up. The suff works and is not expensive.
You have to drive these cars-Strong driving, if you don't you will have problems.

Walt.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Steve

My brother in law lives in LA. He does not have the Porsche bug as we would have a lot more in common. I don't think he knows where the oil goes.

Best of luck with the car and keep us posted as to what it was.

Bryan
Old 10-27-2009, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Tonight I have had a chance to go through the car again and do some more checking, I drove the car around gently to get the engine up to temp, all good no probs, switched it off left it for 10 mins and tried to restart no sign of life, checked for spark and there was none, went to check for spark at the coil and it fired into life and ran!!

So the theory now is that it is not fuel related at all but possibly the coil breaking down, I need to borrow a coil to find out for definite if this is the problem before ordering a new one.......

STEVE
Old 10-29-2009, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ahhh...the puzzle pieces begin to reveal themselves. I absolutely hate intermittent problems and would rather it stopped cold and never ran at all, so I can systematically find the issue. Otherwise, it becomes a witch hunt.

I remember many years ago a baffling problem with an old Jag I had; she would stop cold after about 30 minutes of driving, then start back up only after cooling down for an hour. Makes a trip to the grocery store last way too long. I figured it had to be one of the many emissions sensors, and had my suspicions on two or three, but needed the damn thing to act up so I could test with an ohm meter. I prayed for the day that it would stop in my driveway, with close access to all my tools, etc. Finally, my prayers were answered and a half hour later I found a bad sensor.

At least you've narrowed it way down to ignition. Coil or CDI (or whatever the 964's have for ignition control). Loose wires maybe, but it sounds to be temperature sensitive which would lead me to believe electronics failure. Or....how about a sensor?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 10-29-2009 at 05:38 PM..
Old 10-29-2009, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I've been doing lots of reading on the ez69 as I'm also wondering if this may be at fault, I found a thread from a couple of years ago that had a problem with his ez69 near the end of the thread someone came in with a fault that sounded exactly the same symptoms as mine, good when cold bad when hot, his problem was solved by cleaning and adjusting the flywheel sensor, I have taken out the sensor and cleaned it, it was a bit oily on the end but also it looked like the inside was denting the end out a little not completely flat if that makes sense? should it be flat or could it be faulty if it was starting to dent out? almost as if it has had a good shaking and something inside had tried to get out!not a lot just not flat.

I put it back together and ran it a tickover till it got hot and back came the problem!

Does a failing ez69 give the same sort of signs? does a failing sensor give these signs?

Need to get this sorted, car stood for 12 months while I tried to find time to sort the clutch I get to drive 1 tank of fuel and now its sat again!!!

Thanks for the help keep it coming please!

Steve
Old 11-01-2009, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Just to update and confirm what the problem was in-case anyone else gets the same symptoms.

I changed the flywheel sensor for one of my other car yesterday and ran the engine till hot, taken it for a thrash around this afternoon, lots of boosting and plenty of high speeds and fingers crossed problem seems to be solved, Tuesday I have a 250 mile round trip so I will take it for a good test then!

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

STEVE
Old 11-08-2009, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: