Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

RA-1 pressure recommendations?

after 2 years of ownership I am finally taking the 930 to the track next weekend! I'm wondering what tire pressures to start with. Temp will be about 60 degrees. Running Toyo RA-1's 225/245 on stock 7/9 fuchs. Suspension is Rebel coilovers with 300/400 springs, and weltmeister front sway (stock rear).

Searching I found some recommendations for "regular" 911's, but figured those won't be totally accurate. Any help here would be appreciated! Thanks!
former Tony//Kart shifterkart owner
Old 10-31-2009, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Porsche-Poor

Garage
I start with stock pressures, 29 front/34 rear and typically let out some air after a few sessions, a good base to at least start with, but my front tires are only 205/55's, maybe add a few more psi to your fronts??? Good luck and don't lift, these 930's can bite you hard!!
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 10-31-2009, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

You might want to see who's at the track, find similar cars to yours and ask them. Another idea is to use a little shoe polish on the outside edge to see if the tire is rolling over too far. If it is, then add a pound or two. It doesn't take much to make a difference.

The best way would be to use a tire pyrometer and check tire temps as soon as you leave the track (hot pit). Temps shoud be even arcoss the tire.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

thanks guys. I am only getting one 20 minute session out of this, so I don't have time to adjust pressures. Next year I'll do a whole day with multiple sessions, but next week I just wanted to get out there and not mess up too bad (like get too high pressures and be all squirrelly). I'll start conservatively, and take notes for the next outing.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I would run on street tires first few times running at DE events. You learn better and have more margin for error on street tires which are more forgiving than track rubber.
My opinion is track tires will mask bad habits and compensate for mistakes you make and this is prohibitive to proper learning of technique.
Street tires are more forgiving and allow you to learn to modulate slip angles and get a feel of the car at lower speeds overall which is better for your health and the car if you make a big mistake and spin.
I have a 79 930 turbo too, and have been driving DE for about 8 years or so. I still like to drive the first day of a weekend on my street tires to get the feel of the car before switching to track rubber.
Try to get a ride with your instructor in his car as well....you can learn alot this way and learn the line of the track before making your run.
Who did the suspension mods on your car?
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-02-2009, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Fredmeister- I don't disagree. But the RA-1's are the only tires I have. Should be fun!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I just moved to the Baltimore area and plan on doing lots of DE events with the local Potomac region group.
Hey, maybe i will see you out there this summer, it would be nice to see another late 70's 930 turbo at these events.
What region are you a member of here?
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I would suggest 30f/32r COLD (ie. just before going out). I wouldn't go stock pressures, as RA-1s are not stock tires. They seem to like ~38 HOT, for me. If you want to be a little safer, go 30/30 (they get slippery when too high).

Past: '96 993, '98 986, '82 911, '99 986, '87 930, '86 951, '85 911 GTS3 race car
Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: