Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

adjustable spring plates

I am close to finish my 930, now I need to
work a little on the suspension.

Which adjustable spring plates can you recommend?
I look for a simple system like Weltmeister or Sway-away,
the elephant racing is not the way I like to go?

thanks

Falk
Old 11-01-2009, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Have you looked at Rebel Racing? Clint has a set he makes.
Past: 1988 Venetian Blue 911 Targa, 1983 Black 930, 1984 Black 911 Coupe
Old 11-01-2009, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Depends how much you want to spend.
I have the weltmiester adjustable spring plates and they work fine as they are supposed to with no problems but it's just a street car.

I greased the red urethane bushings with molybdenum disulfide grease while installing them and they pressed in just right and have never squeaked.

A magnetic analog angle finder stuck to the top edge of the spring plate helps alot while initially indexing them onto the torsion bar splines.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The Weltmeister are my first choice currently,
as my 930 is in street use only.

Falk
Old 11-01-2009, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You should have adjustable spring plates from the factory.

I guess you mean the ones that are easy to adjust.

I like the looks of the ER's. They do not look like they are going to come up off there stops if one unweights there car over a rise or if the car is jacked up. Not sure if this is a possibility with all spring combos or not.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I've got the Sway-A-Away spring plates. I want to say they are the same as the Weltmeisters. Anyway, mine have worked well for thousands of track miles and I've never heard of a failure. Makes ride height and corner weighting very easy.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Weltmeister work but could have issues as "911st" mentioned. Elephant Racing units are a better mousetrap on the same design. Worth the added expense to me to put the best on my car.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-02-2009, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What's the difference between the Weltmeister and sway-a-way? If it's the same, I gotta disagree Fred. I've driven my Turbo for 9 years on the track and an SC on the track for 4 years before that with the sway-aways. And I'm not talking about easy laps either.

I know a few guys inquired about the ER part for racing, but the part didn't do anything spectacular for the money.

Now just about everything else from weltmeister is bottom rung.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yes, on my 87 930 the spring plates are adjustable,
but I would prefer the more easy system.
One difference between Sway-away and Weltmeister is the price.
Maybe they are the same, anyone here can tell the difference?

A while ago I have read here about problems with adjustable spring plates.
I can`t find the threat again.
If I remember correct, the spring plates didn`t fit well on the torsion bars.
I am not sure, but I think those was Sway-aways.

*always I have problems with multiple words search:
"adjustable spring plates" for example.
whats the trick to find what I am looking for?

thanks
Falk
Old 11-02-2009, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
What's the difference between the Weltmeister and sway-a-way? If it's the same, I gotta disagree Fred. I've driven my Turbo for 9 years on the track and an SC on the track for 4 years before that with the sway-aways. And I'm not talking about easy laps either.

I know a few guys inquired about the ER part for racing, but the part didn't do anything spectacular for the money.

Now just about everything else from weltmeister is bottom rung.
Elephant racing captures the ajustment secrew better, Weltys have the possibilty of the adjustment plate disengaging from the adjustment screw. You need to look at the design of each in detail to see what I mean. Doesn't mean its gonna happen to everyone but a design flaw none the less.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-02-2009, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I just looked up the difference ( I had been posting from my iPhone). I agree that for $75 more, I would get the ER adj spring plates.

BTW. Does Weltmeister make the Sway-A-Way spring plates? I was under the assumption it was another company.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 11-02-2009 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 11-02-2009, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Weltmeister and Sway away are the same company I believe.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

My understanding is that 'sway away' is simply the name of the weltmeister spring plate product.

The ER ones weigh less, as do the carrera factory spring plates which also work fine. The weltmeister weigh more but are cheaper and do the job also.

There is really not a bad choice here.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

When I got mine the box said Weltmeister Sway Away adjustable spring plates on the box.
The sway away spring plates are a little thicker steel than the origonals and they twist a little as the control arms pivot up and down and rear tire camber changes.

Some people have drilled a hole in the spring plate for a bolt with a shallow head that clears the chassis longitudinal and a slotted hole in the splined short adjuster piece to lock them together once they are adjusted. That would make them more durable.

They also come with urethane bushings that won't compress and deflect under the weight of the car, or under acceleration and braking causing the rear wheel alignment to change.

Elephant racing monoball control arm bushings would improve the rear suspension alighnment stability even more.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

If you like overkill (you own a 930, you must like overkill )...
ELEPHANT RACING ASP Adjustable Spring Plate, 911 Series
Old 11-03-2009, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Elephant as two types of spring plates for our cars. ASP, and a new Quick Change.

the quick change can be purchased either as the splined tb mount by itself to be used in conjunction with the oem adjustable plate, or both the splined mount and a new plate.
I'm up for this quick change conversion myself, as I just finished the fronts this weekend with Chuck's hollow 21's (up from stock 19) and new oem type bushings.
my car sees 3-4 DE weekends a year, and I prefer the less-harsh ride of the smaller bars on my '77, so the rears are going to be hollow 28's (up from stock 26).

the car has 102,000 miles on it, so the original bushes are pretty well shot.

hope this helps

Bill K
Old 11-03-2009, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: