Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Problems with my Turbo boost unit???

Hello friends

Lately I had problems with my Turbo boost readiness. The needle in me boost gauge is a bit flickering. When my turbo blows at approx. 3500 rpm the needle falls to the bottom of the gauge. There is nothing wrong with the turbo pressure on the engine, just the readiness on the gauge.

I think its the sender, who creates the problems. Anyone who knows where to buy these senders? Does Pelican have them?

Thank you very much

Best regards
Jesper

aka The Beauty and the Beast
Old 11-02-2009, 12:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Pelican sells them, they are a little pricy. Porsche 911 & Carrera Gauges and Miscellaneous - Page 4

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 11-02-2009, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Why bother replacing it? That gage in the tachometer is uselessly inaccurate anyway.
You should consider installing a mechanical boost gage in the clock location.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same issue

The problem was bad earth. As far as I can see your sensor get earth through housing via pipe. Pipe has bad earth in cause of connections with rubbers... so just connect for testing a good mass from engine with free (right on pic) connector and see if it helps

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 11-02-2009, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Whip out your handy-dandy ohm meter and a source of compressed air and test the resistance of your sender unit at various pressures. Here's a handy graph plot. Mine tested out at 112 ohms at .8 bar.

boost sensor resistance data
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hello guys

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate the answers. It was the bad earth who caused the strange readiness.

[Fredmeister] I thought of installing the big gauge instead of the clock, but where to buy?

Thanks again ;-)

Best regards
Jesper

aka The Beauty and the Beast
Old 11-03-2009, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: