Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
tearing cv joint boots

Does anyone experience frequent tearing of the cv joint boots on your 930 turbo?

I have replaced the outboard cv joint boots on my 79 930 turbo 2 times in 2 years and am wondering if this may be a common failure on this particular model.

I track the car at DE events about 10-12 days per season and am wondering if the increased movement of the rear suspension during heavy track driving puts the cv joints at extreme angles leading to the tearing.
I have a stock suspension and there is a fair amount of suspension travel and squat and diving during the DE days.
I have replaced the boots with new quality boots and am careful not to puncture or in any way twist them to start a problem during the replacement process.
This is really a PITA now. Anyone with ideas?
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-02-2009, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I've had the same problem and it's been suggested by many racers to install half of a small tube from a can of brake cleaner, etc, under the small end clamp (or plastic tie that I use). This allows any built up pressure to escape.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
do you have a stock suspension and track the car? Reason i ask is i am trying to prove my theory of extreme angular deflections of the axels causing the boots to rub and stretch outside normal range expected by Porsche engineers for street driving. Having stock torsion bars lets my turbo suspension go thru full range of travel when doing DE and track days.
Only explanation i have for the reduced service life i am seeing.
The tip you gave is good....thanks. I gotta try this.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-03-2009, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I've got 22/30 torsion bars with urethane bushings throughout. 22mm sway bars and Koni sport shocks in the rear with Bilstein HD in the front. 18" BBS wheels with slicks. Full cage and strut tower brace.

Lots of track time in the black and red run groups at PCA events.

Guys on the racing forums see thus with all kinds of set ups, stock to modded.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: