Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
MSD DIS4 Qs

Hello Folks

I'm looking to purchase a MSD DIS4 ignition but I'd like to know if there's other brands that will perform the same function for less $$.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan ruiz View Post
Hello Folks

I'm looking to purchase a MSD DIS4 ignition but I'd like to know if there's other brands that will perform the same function for less $$.
Hey, I'm boricua too and also have a 930. Where in Florida are you?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Ft.Lauderdale
Old 11-05-2009, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan ruiz View Post
Ft.Lauderdale
Oh, me in Tampa. Too bad we're not closer.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Hey Juan,
The other way around this and get even more spark is just run a Carrera dizzy and use a 6AL or a 300+. You would use the crank trigger you already have as your signal and just use the dizzy for the directing of the spark. This would be cheaper and more powerful.

6AL or 300+
MSD or Accel coil
Carrera dizzy (I will look I may have one for you minus the drive gear)
Set of performance wires (JB Racing)
Simple reconfiguring of your ECU to eliminate the coil pack

Probably you can get all this for less than half of a DIS4.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 11-06-2009, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hi G Man,

We called MSD with Tito the other day and thats what they are suggesting but the dam thing cost almost $700.00 even used ones are going for $350 so for sure I need a better alternative ! somewhere somebody has to have another brand at an affordable price

why not install a couple 6AL one per bank and be done?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Slantnose from HELL

Because it is the DIS4 that processes and sends the spark to the specific coil lead. The coil packs were the desired way of setting up the ignition years ago mainly to eliminate the dizzy. But nobody realized the lose of spark voltage compared to the dizzy setup. The DIS4 is basically a mini ignition processor that delegates spark managment. You could also use a E Dis from FAST but your in the same ball park $$$ wise. Whats wrong with running a dizzy and a 6AL?
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 11-06-2009, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I was just curious, thanks for the explanation

Whats wrong with running a dizzy and a 6AL?

if this works and is less expensive thats the way to go
Old 11-06-2009, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

So am I hearing that most of the wasted spark systems out there are not as hot as a MSD / Dist set up? Is the stock CDI system hotter than most the wasted spark set ups to?

I guess if it is in a twin plug configuration it might make up for some of the lower power out put.

Thx.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I found my MSD DIS4 Plus on ebay from a seller with excellent feedback and managed to get the winning bid at $285 and it had just been sent to MSD to be checked out and was sent back with supporting documents saying all was well. Great buy and its still running strong 2 years later.

Just my opinion but I would wait to find the right used DIS4 unit.

Again, just my .02
Old 11-18-2009, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Found one from one of my fellow sport compact racers! so we are in business, now I will get even more magic from Bello Power
Old 11-19-2009, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: