Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New 964 to 965 guy w/pics and questions

Hello Pelican turbo guys. I have owned this 91 for 2 weeks now. 60,000 miles, original paint with Strosek exhaust muffler delete, supposedly 1 bar spring, H&R springs and that's it. I am the 4th owner and have been working non stop on it since I got it. Have changed all the fluids, fixed a big oil leak at a loose oil filter reciever, 3.8 motor mounts, 1 heater blower motor, new belts, new tires, alignment, buffed out the paint...... I have clear turn len's on the front now too.

Now my questions:

Paperwork says 1 bar spring but driving at wot it only gets to .7?
I drove it about 10 miles before I started all the work and now the tranny is sticking, like a bind, in 3, 4 and 5th gears on downshifts intermitently. If I drive calmly with the wife in the car no problem or if I match rpm's. Up shifts are fine. The clutch has 30,000 miles on it so I am sure this is it but a friend had a 91 that did the same thing so I am wondering if this is common? Motor mounts did not help but did stop a lot of rattles.

If the motor comes out for a clutch there goes the mod budget!
69 Vette Race Car since 1971
07 Z06 DD
Old 11-08-2009, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

Beautiful car! I'm pretty sure the factory boost guage will only register .7 bar even though your boosting 1.0

I have been wrong before though... there was that one time in 8th grade.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 11-08-2009, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That is correct. The factory boost gage only goes to .7 bar.

Check that you still have the over-boost switch on your car and that it has not been by-passed (grounded). Expecially if you do not have a second boost gage.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Swap the clutch yourself and save your mod budget!

You might want to get a seperate mechanical boost gauge.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have no useful comments or thoughts on your situation, but MAN is that a sweet looking ride.
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Gorgeous car!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
That is correct. The factory boost gage only goes to .7 bar.

Check that you still have the over-boost switch on your car and that it has not been by-passed (grounded). Expecially if you do not have a second boost gage.
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I am going to need some help with this advice 911st? Who carries a mechanical boost gauge and where have you guys mounted it?
69 Vette Race Car since 1971
07 Z06 DD
Old 11-09-2009, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Andial used to have a sweet set up just for the C2T that mounted in one of the air vents but kept it functional. Or, you could use any after market gage.

On my car I had an Electronic Boost Controller that acted as my true boost gage. If I did it again I would just us a proper fixed spring and verify my boost & AFR's on the dyno. Then just count on the over boost switch for protection.

If thinking of a larger turbo that flows more air more efficiently in the higher RPM range a wide band the monitors you Air Fuel Ratios or checking on the dyno that you have enough fuel is a good idea. The stock turbo is very well matched on a C2T to the fueling limit of the stock fuel system and be capable of almost 400 fwhp. It also can not over boost past about 5500rpm.

If it has not been done, the best mod for a C2T is to delete the cat which is also a pre muffler. The stock muffler is a great performance muffler and should be kept.

After that gears make the next best change as the stock G50/50 is geared very high. Keep the tall first and tighten up the other gears. Will increase your average HP per gear significantly and make the car more drivable. I belive there are some inexpencive gears that can be moved over from the C2 or C4 normal transmissions.

Not an expert, just my opinion.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

PS, I do not know about your tranny issue. Hope is it shifter bushings. The stock clutch was a very heavy dual mass clutch that can create some issues. If it showed up with the motor mount change might look at that area.

I ran a 3.6T sport clutch on a Club Sport fly wheel if I recall correctly. Makes for a lot less mass and allows for quicker throttle response off idle. The turbos do not have any issue with a light clutch like the normally aspirated cars may have.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: