Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Best turbo replacement for a stock 930

Anyone have any comments on what is the best turbo replacement for a stock 930 ?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

K27, either the 7200 or the 7006 models are the most common. Other variations are purpose-built by a couple of folks out there, such as the K27HF. Much depends on how you plan to drive the car, other modifications you may have, etc.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The K27-7200 is most common. As Mark stated, it really depends on your application which type is best.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to the_webbster
I'd like to get some input here too.
street use - goal is more drivability.

I'd like to go a little more in depth:

if one were to do Turbo, IC and headers on a stock 930 - will the stock clutch have to go?

Eisblau 1979 930

Silver '08 Honda Ridgeline
Old 11-09-2009, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I'm just looking for a little better performance, especially on the lower RPM range. I want to keep it as stock as possible. How much should I expect to pay for a K27-7200. Will I really notice any improvement with out changing other things ?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAmand View Post
I'm just looking for a little better performance, especially on the lower RPM range. I want to keep it as stock as possible. How much should I expect to pay for a K27-7200. Will I really notice any improvement with out changing other things ?
Yes, you'll get quicker spooling and less lag with the turbo change alone. But to really optimize it, consider at least installing a free-flowing muffler as a starting point.
Price for the turbo is probably in the +$1000 range.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I have prices listed on my website.
What year is your car? CAT or Euro? Stock muffler? If all is stock and you run a stock muffler the new turbo will be choked.
The 7200 has a lower threshold than the stock 3LDZ, hitting 1.0bar by 3200rpm on a bone stock 930. The lowest threshold K27 series turbo is the K27S. Threshold on that unit is ~300rpm lower than the 7200.
Stock clutch is fine for typical mods, the rubber pucks are a problem.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_webbster View Post
I'd like to get some input here too.
street use - goal is more drivability.

I'd like to go a little more in depth:

if one were to do Turbo, IC and headers on a stock 930 - will the stock clutch have to go?
Not necessarily, but of course a lot depends on the age of your stock clutch.

Those additions you mentioned - assuming you couple them with a decent muffler as well - will put you close to the threshold of the stock clutch. When I went down that slippery slope, the clutch started slipping a little. Just gave me a reason to keep sliding and spend more $$$.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
Pardon my ignorance, but what the he11 is a rubber puck?

I'm thinking hockey... but I'm a canadian so that's natural.

Eisblau 1979 930

Old 11-09-2009, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Just for reference, I have a stock 1988 930 and upgraded with the K27S, a freer flowing exhaust (RarlyL8) and a larger intercooler, along with an AFR meter. Once adjusted, I have a much more useable power range, I feel. Boost comes on lower and less abruptly than with the stock and kicks in throughout the middle rpm ranges. I like this setup for my mostly street and DE needs - though my first DE with this car will be in Spring...so will have to wait until then for feedback on DE use.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
stock 3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, B&B intercooler, Tial wastegate, Electromotive tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter
Old 11-09-2009, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what the he11 is a rubber puck?

I'm thinking hockey... but I'm a canadian so that's natural.
rubber center section of the clutch disc, vs. spring centered. Supposed to dampen things. but they will eventually disintegrate without any warning. A really bad Porsche innovation.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
OK - not trying to hijack this thread or anything, hoping the OP is interested in this as well as he is obviously thinking about the same mods as I am.

I had a friend who had a 930 over here and did turbo/IC/headers and ended up with an expensive clutch problem as a result which led to him selling the car in frustration...

the rubber puck (no, not HOCKEY) - is found on which models? I'm looking at a '78-'80 930.

Eisblau 1979 930

Old 11-10-2009, 12:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I had a friend who had a 930 over here and did turbo/IC/headers and ended up with an expensive clutch problem as a result which led to him selling the car in frustration...
He must get frustrated pretty easily, many solutions for up to double the power he was putting out...
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 11-11-2009, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
well, you know; young, on a limited budget and I think one thing just led to another. he ended up with a Nissan Skyline GTR!?!?

I have decided that I want to do headers/IC/Turbo to a car I am looking at buying and I'm wondering if I am going to end up in the same situation as my friend.

Anyways, what models were fitted with the infamous Rubber Puck? Anyone? Bueller?

Eisblau 1979 930

Old 11-11-2009, 12:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

What a nice mostly original low milage 930 cab you have.

Is the exhaust still stock?

Before I would look at changing the turbo I would free up the exhaust from as much back pressure as possable after the turbo. That alone can make a significant change. It would almost be a shame to change out the turbo without a free flow muffler section /cat delete. It is possable just doing that might be enought to get you by befor moving on to stronger addictions.

If you are interested in staying closer to stock to maintain value the K27-7200 is what Porsche came up with when they updated the 3.3 CIS motor for it to go into the 91 Turbo. It was also good enough to retain for the 3.6 C2 Turbo. It can support up to about 380hp. It also fits the fuel deliver of the stock fuel head quite well. It comes in quicker than the stock turbo and other biger turbos. It isalso more effecent in the sweet spot your motor will operate in unless you are going to add an intercooler, ports, cams, & crank up the boost.

If you go to sell the car the 7200 seems to be an acceptable improvement to most including buyers that are interested in a more stock 930. It also dose not as much add the question as to how hard the car has been floged compaired to say a car that has a K29 quick spool or other K27 hybrids.

The aftermarket Hybrids are great turbos. Most these days keep the smaller hot side of the 7200 and add a larger compressor wheel. These wheels do operate more effecently in the area past 300hp than the 7200 and can support HP over 380 if needed. With the biger compressor they move more air quicker and come in a little earlyer. They also take a little more time than the 7300 to reach full boost and usallly but not alwas reach full boost a little later. May like them as they come into the power softer and in a more controled way. I had a proper K29 and an and early HF but switched back to the 7200 as I liked how fast and hard it came on. I also felt it was faster for the type of driving I did even though it did not make as much gross HP on my car and I had all the CIS goodies. It did cost me some 30hp up top but I did not mind the trade off.

All are good choices but again, a mostly stock well tuned late 930 with free flow exhaust can do pretty well to.

Enjoy.

Last edited by 911st; 11-11-2009 at 12:06 PM..
Old 11-11-2009, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to djdawson2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post

Before I would look at changing the turbo I would free up the exhaust from as much back pressure as possible after the turbo. That alone can make a significant change.

Enjoy.
I agree with this statement 100%. My car is a 100% stock '89 930. I removed the stock exhaust and installed RarlyL8's exhaust, and it completely transformed the car's power. Boost comes in earlier, and much stronger. It also pulls well up through redline.

While the car is by no means a rocket, it is vastly better than it was with the stock exhaust... and it now sounds great as well.

But still... I'll be bolting in a 7200 and a B&B intercooler this weekend

Dave
Old 11-11-2009, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: