Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD94 View Post
LOL...you guys, Mark and Cole, crack me up.

Mark,
Glad to hear that you're gonna be OK. So when are you getting back on a dirt bike? No, what a minute, I meant a 930. Were you wearing good pair of MX boots? If so then you're lucky. How did you mess your ankle up so bad?

Cole,
Let me know once your Old Sled runs again. We can have a mini Palooza in IN.
Buck me off a horse....or an MX...and I'll always get back on, but next time with just a smidgen more respect as befitting of my age. No...strike that....I'm referring to my physical age, not mental age, which means I'll always be young and trying to re-create those memories when I could hold a wheelie as long as I wanted, and when she got away from me all it did was cause a little road rash - just pick out the gravel, grab another beer, and ride on bro'! Yes, had on good sturdy boots, but 225 pounds of bike that starts out vertical then slams down with all it's weight on your ankle and lower leg just isn't cool. Broke the fibula, cracked the tibia, smooshed all the ligaments and tendons on the top....fun fun fun.

I'll be back in the 930 next spring, mostly because the weather is starting to winterize (snowed today). So outside of the foot, I have a good excuse to abstain driving it.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sprbxr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
500 Kawasaki??? How about the old 750 H2 Kawa I used to blast down the road on. Those were before the days of the mutant ninja rice rockets of today, but that machine with it's 3 expansion chambers sounded like a freakin' airplane.
I had one of those too. Crazy power, sh**ty handling. I went thru a 2 stroke street bike phase. My fave was an RG500. When I seized an RD350 at 90mph, I saw my life flash in front of me. End of the 2 stroke street bike phase.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Buck me off a horse....or an MX...and I'll always get back on, but next time with just a smidgen more respect as befitting of my age. No...strike that....I'm referring to my physical age, not mental age, which means I'll always be young and trying to re-create those memories when I could hold a wheelie as long as I wanted, and when she got away from me all it did was cause a little road rash - just pick out the gravel, grab another beer, and ride on bro'! Yes, had on good sturdy boots, but 225 pounds of bike that starts out vertical then slams down with all it's weight on your ankle and lower leg just isn't cool. Broke the fibula, cracked the tibia, smooshed all the ligaments and tendons on the top....fun fun fun.

I'll be back in the 930 next spring, mostly because the weather is starting to winterize (snowed today). So outside of the foot, I have a good excuse to abstain driving it.
Ouch! I know from my experience that soft tissue injuries (torn ligaments, etc) are worse that broken bones. Remember to do physical therapy when you are healed. Also, drink lots of milk.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprbxr View Post
I had one of those too. Crazy power, sh**ty handling. I went thru a 2 stroke street bike phase. My fave was an RG500. When I seized an RD350 at 90mph, I saw my life flash in front of me. End of the 2 stroke street bike phase.
That was scary. Did you pull in the clutch when it seized? That would be the right thing to do. I guess it's easier said than done.

I bet that 2 strokes will be back in full force within 10 yrs. Yes, I'm talking about clean, ultra low emission 2 strokes. So, maybe you will be back on a 2 stroke!
Old 11-13-2009, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprbxr View Post
Same thing happened to my brother on his H2. Just screaming down the road, too damn hot outside, leaned her out and froze up big time. You've got about a half second after locking up to pull in the clutch and straighten her out, or you're toast. Fun fun.....life is full of suprises. Young people have quick reflexes, othewise I would be dead many times before now. Old people have slow reflexes and break bones.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Glad to hear that things are looking up!

I tried to re-live my teens riding my dirt bike and hit a tree going all out one day (I was 44). F'd up my back and neck real bad. Sucked having to bend the shifter back, ride for miles to the truck, load the bike, get home and go to the hospital all by myself. Pretty much gave it up after that.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Mark,

Just looking out for you here, a little more age appropriate and he will take trades.

Cole

Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Mark you rode MX? here are some shots of me YEARS AGO hanging in my garage.
First bike shot, half mile racing in Mesa Marin CA, second shot MX in El Cajon CA.

1 year after the El Cajon pic I severed the ACL in my left knee, I suffer to this day with it (> 20 years later )

Old 11-13-2009, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl8ton View Post
Mark you rode MX? here are some shots of me YEARS AGO hanging in my garage.
First bike shot, half mile racing in Mesa Marin CA, second shot MX in El Cajon CA.

1 year after the El Cajon pic I severed the ACL in my left knee, I suffer to this day with it (> 20 years later )

Cool, a fellow MX'er! That picture looks just like me 20 days ago, except the bike was "past vertical", arm stretched out/throttle locked open. Started this nonsense back in the late 60's/early 70's on Yamahas. To this day, I still ride (ummmm....rode) a Yamahammer '73 360MX, '74 400MX, and ''78 500XC Husky...all fully restored and pristine.
Amazing how many 930 owners at one time shared the same interests. Maybe it's an inherent DNA coded need for speed, adrenalin, or whatever.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Mark you weren't trying to audition for "Metal Militia" were you

My choice of weapons in the 70's were:

Bultaco Astro (1/2 and 1/4 mile racing)
Honda 125 CR, Honda 250 CR, Husky 360, Maico 400 (MX)

At one point I would show up at a MX event and race three diff classes!
"Need for Speed" I know what you mean by this comment! The 930 certainly delivers this rush later in life doesn't it!

Last edited by cl8ton; 11-14-2009 at 12:15 PM..
Old 11-14-2009, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl8ton View Post
Mark you weren't trying to audition for "Metal Militia" were you

My choice of weapons in the 70's were:

Bultaco Astro (1/2 and 1/4 mile racing)
Honda 125 CR, Honda 250 CR, Husky 360, Maico 400 (MX)

At one point I would show up at a MX event and race three diff classes!
"Need for Speed" I know what you mean by this comment! The 930 certainly delivers this rush later in life doesn't it!
Although I eventually settled into Yamaha's, also did the Maico 400, 250 Elsinore, and Bultaco 250 Pursang route for awhile. Been looking for an old Sherpa T....thinking maybe I should graduate to something a little more mundane in a Trials bike. Would probably bore me to tears.....

I equate MX and cross country riding to downhill snow skiing....in both you have complete control of how far you want to push yourself to the edge and the adrenaline rush and freedom is exactly the same. The problem with the 930 is that it commands at least as much...if not more...respect, because a mistake at 100+ mph can do a lot more than break an ankle. God, I love 'em all!
Old 11-14-2009, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Glad to hear that things are looking up!

I tried to re-live my teens riding my dirt bike and hit a tree going all out one day (I was 44). F'd up my back and neck real bad. Sucked having to bend the shifter back, ride for miles to the truck, load the bike, get home and go to the hospital all by myself. Pretty much gave it up after that.
Jim
At least you could ride your bike back to the truck.

I was riding the Ocala National Forest and hit a tree doing 40mph. Busted most of the spokes in the front wheel, bent the rim and twisted the forks. Bike no longer rolled. The worst part was getting tangled up in the rear wheel as I attempted to bail off. The rear tire shredded my riding pants and my underwear and nearly shredded my junk. It took about 4 hrs to get the bike to the truck. Thank goodness for GPS

Old 11-14-2009, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Damn Justin, it's one thing to bend the front wheel, but you don't want to be messing with the family jewels!

OK boys, this has been fun. Since I started this now totally warped thread during a fit of frustration wondering if I could ever push in a clutch again, I guess I can at least slap a couple videos out there for your enjoyment.

Early spring last year, up near my mountain cabin where we tend to do the dirt thing. Most of the snow had melted, leaving a bit of mud. Enjoy...hope you don't mind the occasional profanity as I hit tree limbs, mud ruts and snow banks. We were jazzed and having a good time. That's my 50 year old bro' in front on the Yamaha '74 400MX, and me (considerably older) riding the '73 360MX with a cheap helmet mounted camera.

YouTube - spring MX'ing #2
YouTube - Spring MX'ing #1
Old 11-14-2009, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Justin, I'm trying not to laugh at your junk getting caught in the spokes/rear tire, but it's tough...

Mark, good videos. Thought your were going to run your bro over a few times. Reminds when I used to take the kids. They would wipe out in the sand and I would hit them from behind sometimes. The didn't like that...
Old 11-14-2009, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

I had tire marks on my skin. seriously. Uncomfortably close to the boys.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
D'oh Justin - that's brutal.

I used to snowmobile back when I was cool. We used to Chinese Downhill (c'mon, tell me you know what that means) and try to kick e/o when passing, etc. cause we were smaht like that. I bailed once and got sucked under the track (with 96 screws in it - one for every hp), tore my knee to the bone in the middle of bumfrickin nowhere. Good times.

Sold the Arctic Cat after my twin girls were born to buy a 4000quattro (one snow machine for another I figger'd) thinking 3kids now, time to grow up right? Which I then later oversteer'd into a tree during a *glorious* blizzard doing 4wheel drifts. Sigh.

Time to grow up?

NEVAH!

8-)

Mark... happy mending. Will send happy thoughts your way heh heh...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 11-14-2009, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: